The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Choppy when going into boost?

James

Miles on the car don't really matter with the injectors. Unless it was your car you don't know what kind of gunk was run through them, if the filter was ever changed, ect.

AWDPower

I had the same issue with my car recently. It drove great until boost hit, then it would hesitate and stumble, especially at high RPM. The problem ended up being the plug wires. I had already tried three sets that I had sitting around, before I ordered a new set of NGK's. The new wires did the trick.

I've changed the plug wires 2 times with brand new blue NGK wires. Also, changed the cam angle and the car is still doing it. I think the next step is changing fuel pump to a 190 and if that doesn't work then moving to the ecu, then if that doesn't work moving to injectors.

EHmotorsports

What is the fuel pressure at idle,cruise and full throttle?

Last edited:

cheekychimp

The situation you are describing sounds to me very much like it is fuel related!

I have checked all the posts above. Sometimes when you list a lot of work you have done on a car it is easy to miss the little things but after doing all that work did you change the fuel filter or clean out the fuel lines given that you said the car sat for nine years?

For the 15 minutes that it will take you, I seriously suggest that you remove the filter and empty it into a clean rag or tissue to see how clean your fuel is. If there is a lot of sediment in it, I would hazard a guess that some of it 'may' have already found it's way to the injectors. Even if it hasn't you are going to want to drain the tank (or preferably drop it altogether) to get any crap out of the bottom of it AND flush the lines.

Clean the injectors if they need doing, clean the fuel pick up sock, run the pump in some clean fuel to flush that as well, then reassemble with a clean filter. If that fixes it, change your filter at more frequent intervals for a few months until you see a noticeable improvement in fuel cleanliness and be prepared to clean the injectors more than once if you didn't get a substantial amount of the crap out of the system.

In really bad cases I have heard of people having to get new fuel lines but that's rare and in any event that's usually a good excuse for a fuel line upgrade.

Last edited:
Found the problem thank goodness, I hooked up a wideband and saw that it was reading way lean, threw some 560 injectors in to see if it would richen up. No luck, a buddy suggested looking at the fuel pump to see if it was getting clogged, turns out the filter on the pump was covered in the excess rust from when I had cleaned out the tank. changed the filter and she was ripping down the street like she was built to.

Thank you very much for all those who have been following on the long journey and thanks to all for the helpful input.

James

Glad you fixed it! My car had a phantom problem yesterday at boost for boobs.

It drove fine to the meet... When we started the cruise (about 20 mins in) I took a corner in second gear around 2500rpms and went WOT coming out.. It broke up real back at 3k and I had to let off. I babied it till out first stop where I turned it off and let it sit. Hit the road and it was perfect for another 20mins or so. Did the same thing on a long straight and it broke up.

Cliff notes: car breaking up at 3k RPM at WOT. Stopped for a short amount of time when car is turned off and back on.

Today it ran amazing to work and back

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned