The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Chattering during deceleration

This started two days ago and I have been troubleshooting it. When I press the clutch pedal in, the chattering goes away. It is not RPM dependant either. If I were to be in fourth and downshift to third, letting out the clutch slowly, it would chatter MUCH louder. I am thinking that the TOB shaft is going. A couple months ago I posted about a "notchy" feeling when letting out the clutch but that problem went away so I thought nothing of it and dismissed it as maybe a cold weather woe. This seems to be more pronounced. Any ideas or confirmations on the TOB or shaft?

ACT 2100 - Good call Karter. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

The driveshaft had all of it's goodies replaced 45K miles ago too, if that matters.

Any ideas? I was kind of hoping to have some more ideas posted this morning... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

kartorium

Sorry jason, i can't think of much. However, depending on how old your pressure plate is on that 2600 the springs could be broken. That happened to me once and I got reeally really funky feel. Sometimes notchy, sometimes chatter, it always felt wrong though.

Jason is the chatter there after the clutch is fully realesed or only under partial decell slipping? if its the latter I would be thinking the springs in the plate have taken a beating & are now demonstrating their displeasure. If it's thee after full realese I would check elsewhere for the problem.

If you haven't gotten to the bottom of it by this weekend let me know & we'll hook up, get it figgured out.

Thank you Karter and Geoffrey. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The springs could be talking to me, yes.

The chatter goes completely away when the clutch pedal is completely down. I *MAY* be going to Mexico this weekend but if not, I will pay your gas and food and stuff for you to come up here if you want Geoffrey. I have a couple other projects that could use your helping hands. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif We shouldn't need your tool chest though. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

No problem bud, my scedule is kinda open at the moment so just let me know.

P.s. my phone wont wok from home unless I stand on one foot off the upper balconey so... just leave a message & I'll hit you back.

Jason, can you elaborate on "chatter?" When I think of chatter, I think of a ch-ch-ch-ch noise, or at least something with a pulsation to it. My tranny makes noise that goes away when the clutch is depressed, but I think it sounds more like a dishwasher on the rinse cycle. Or maybe an old-fashioned hand powered ice cream maker. I've got an ACT 2600 on stock tranny w/Redline mix in it, btw. I don't recall mine making any noise until I put the Redline fluids in, but that doesn't mean it wasn't there. I think in any case the heavier oil amplified it. Maybe your input shaft bearings going bad?

I wonder if I've got the same issue as you, Jason. Mine's definitely making a chattering noise. In fact, I thought it was really noise lifters until I realized the "lifters" shut up every time the clutch was depressed. Have you tried just removing the clutch fork boot and looking in to make sure it's clearing the pressure plate?

Sorry for not responding to your previous questions. The chattering is like rolling a bag of large marbles. I am also experiencing a "wub-wub" sound that did not go away after installing the 4 bolt. It is not as pronounced now, but it is still there.

Where is the clutch fork boot? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

I also replaced my Royal Purple with a combo of MTL and MT90 in the Tcase and Tranny.

I've got that fluid combo in mine and I think it made it noisier than the Synchromax that was in it before. The clutch fork boot is on the front lower part of the bellhousing, towards the radiator. It's right below the slave cylinder, a little 2" or so square rubber boot, sort of like the stock shifter.

Yao

It sounds like the bearings in the tranny going bad right? well it is. I forgot what you call it, but the bearing takes the load when you let off gas costing in gear, but when the clutch is pressed in, it unloads the bearing and runs nutural. Time for tranny rebuilt.

Armitage

Sorry for bringing this back from the dead but I think I have the same problem...

For years I've had the "grumbling" on decel problem that has plagued many people (there's a thread I think started by CP on that from a year or more back). Lately, not only has that grumbling gotten a lot worse, but I can hear new drivetrain noises at highway speeds and I feel a new vibration at certain RPMs. As if that wasn't bad enough, my clutch engagement has gotten really really shuddery, especially when it's cold. It feels like the whole drivetrain is a mess. Shifting is smooth as butter though.

Are the bearings in my trans going bad? Would this cause the clutch shudder? The decel grumble? The 3k rpm drivetrain noise on the highway?

Looks like I'll be in the market for a rebuild soon /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Armitage

Rebuilt trans fixed the problem.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned