The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Carbon fiber front lip

Status
Not open for further replies.

cheekychimp

But that is exactly the point Nartanian. No-one on here is willing to even buy one of the finished products, never mind front up the money for the R & D, the mold and the labour to make a unique design. It's much easier to borrow a lip that someone else has shoveled a load of money into, copy it and sell it off ... and sorry, no I do not believe these will be sold at cost to the community without the seller making a profit. It's just wrong.

Correct way to do this?

PM to BoostX.

Hi, John. I think there is still a market for the lips you produced in the past and whilst I am sure the materials you used are probably superior there seems to be a demand for a CF version. I have played with the idea of producing a copy but it seems a bit immoral to do that since you footed the bill for the original R & D, molds etc. I wondered if you are still interested in doing another run for members and if not if you would consider selling me the mold and the rights as a business venture so that I can carry on with these?

Why not pay him for his mold and earn a little respect rather than pay to make a new one when it only alienates a lot in this community who disagree with the DSM 'make a quick buck mentality'?

Nartanian

I can see both sides of this. Last year with boostx, I didn't sign up to buy a lip because I didn't want to be part of the crowd that flaked out after all was said and done like you mentioned. Not saying Blown1s idea is necessarily correct, but I don't think he had the intent of unjustifiably replicating what a member worked hard for on the boards in order to make a gross amount of self profit. I could be wrong though. Either case I think there is still time to resolve this. I will just wait it out as I can address other needs of the Galant.

Last edited:

cheekychimp

For the record, I didn't have a single issue with what he was suggesting right up until the part where he said:

Quoting Blown1:
Anyways I spoke my friend that did the group buy for the Nissan Sentra Ser guys(pics below)and what he told was that the mold is the most expensive part of the deal(1k).If someone has one of the boostx front lips that they can part with for a while I can have him replicate it in carbon fiber making the pieces less expensive.

I'm sorry, but how can you say that that does not imply "intent of unjustifiably replicating what a member worked hard for on the boards". I'll let Blown1 speak up for himself on this issue but whether he intended it or not it comes across pretty strongly here that he doesn't want to front the thousand bucks to make a mold because it eats into profits. If that isn't the case why is it later said that "Unless I get at least 10 people interested its not worth it, it would be too expensive for a super low volume run"?

Nartanian

Yea completely missed that part.

Nabeel

I think the lip should be made from flexible material (rubber or plastic) to live longer as the hard lip will damage or damage your bumper if ever hit something.

Rausch

+1 for Curtis and +2 twice for Paul.

Seems if there was one already made (and the $$ fronted to have the R&D done) that would be your best bet. PM the guy that made them if you have interest in his part.

Asking for a part that someone (not so long ago) went through the trouble if having made, just to copy or 'steal' the design for profit is very much an unacceptable approach. Maybe it flies elsewhere, but it shouldn't, and it won't fly here.

curtis

Quoting Nabeel:
I think the lip should be made from flexible material (rubber or plastic) to live longer as the hard lip will damage or damage your bumper if ever hit something.

IT HAS BEEN MADE FROM A FLEXIBLE MATERIAL! pm BOOSTX AND LET HIM DO PICTURES OF ONE TWISTED UP TO PROVE IT.

turbowop

It's flexible, but I don't think it would survive a hit to a curb. Although, I do have one small scrape on the very bottom of one corner of mine from leaving a steep parking lot exit and it's fine.

Brunoboy

Tre3zys has been chipped before, idk what the situation was but it did get a battle wound.

boostx

Thanks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gifCurtis and Paul..

boostx

Let me chime in.
</font><blockquote><font class="small">Quoting brunoboy:</font><hr />
btw, in the sense that you use Boostx's lip to make them, are these as well going to be two pieces?

<hr /></blockquote><font class="post">
The main reason for having two pieces is to cut down on the shipping and the some of us have sagging bumpers and each pieces is about 1” longer so it can be trimmed to fit.
</font><blockquote><font class="small">Quoting Nartanian:</font><hr />
I'm interested depending on the price too. I have the stock USDM bumper though.

The lip will fit both the USDM and JDM bumper. I used some two side tape to attached so I can take some pics.

I can get the lip made from carbon fiber if needed but it would be a lot more $$. The other option is getting the lip covered in a Carbon Fiber Vinyl wrap and then get it clear coated
</font><blockquote><font class="small">Quoting Nabeel:</font><hr />

I wanted to get made out of plastic or urethane but to have a injection mold made cost a whole lot of $$$$$ and would not be worth it.
</font><blockquote><font class="small">Quoting Nartanian:</font><hr />
I thought boostx currently stopped making them. Last year I didn't have enough buy one, get the 2 pieces together, and then pay to have it color matched and painted. I figured with CF at least it doesn't need to painted but didn't take into consideration how bad it does in sunlight or driving conditions. I apologize if any offense has been made but I only had the best of interest.

I can still get the lip made but there is a 1 to 2 week turn around time and I try not to just have him setup just to make one. I have also thought of getting them painted but every car will have a different color as the paint fade.
</font><blockquote><font class="small">Quoting 3of1000:</font><hr />
I'm not a big fan of the boostx lip, no offense to the guy, thanks to him for getting it done but from a side shot it looks weird IMO.

What’s wrong with the sides ???.

boostx

More pics

One clean engine bay /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Quoting brunoboy:
What's the ideal price? If it's around 250$ ish shipped or less Ill gather money and be in.

The ser's turned out to be around 250-300 I think but I cant be sure until we have a list...

Quoting brunoboy:
btw, in the sense that you use Boostx's lip to make them, are these as well going to be two pieces?

No, it will more than likely be a 1 piece lip....

If you can get that guy to send you his lip then great(doubt it lol) other than that I need an actual lip cant do it from a picture. Remember I am trying to eliminate the cost of making a mold so the price ends up being reasonable for the forum members....If you want or have a different design in mind its about a $1000 dollars for a mold I dont think any of us here wants to spend that upfront do you?

Quoting 3of1000:
I'm not a big fan of the boostx lip, no offense to the guy, thanks to him for getting it done but from a side shot it looks weird IMO. If you want this to be a big hit, replicate the lip thats on the red car in this thread:

click

Here:

vr4thailand07.jpg

That lip is perfection and to have it in carbon fiber. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif

Well I apologize for stepping on anyone's toe's here believe me that wasnt the intent at all. I guess in my eagerness to provide a different lip option or solution I overlooked the obvious talking to boostx first, again for that I sincerely apologize. On the other hand assuming that I am here to make a quick buck off anyone is also being rude and disrespectful. I dont need to make money off anyone here, I'm not rich but I do ok for myself and my family I have my own money,especially since everyone pinches their pennies around here on anything that doesnt confrom to their ideals and oh it costs too much. Lets face it I love these cars as much as the next guy here buy besides the members on this board who gives a sh*t about these cars and thats why no one makes anything for them. If you read my original post again I did not ask for anything monetary. I was simply contacted by a member here that was interested and hence the repost.With that being said if anyone wants to have one done in cf please contact boostx I dont have time for bullshit. I'm not some little kid trying to steal your lunch money. Have a wonderful day...
Dunstan....

Quoting cheekychimp:
But that is exactly the point Nartanian. No-one on here is willing to even buy one of the finished products, never mind front up the money for the R & D, the mold and the labour to make a unique design. It's much easier to borrow a lip that someone else has shoveled a load of money into, copy it and sell it off ... and sorry, no I do not believe these will be sold at cost to the community without the seller making a profit. It's just wrong.

Correct way to do this?

PM to BoostX.

Hi, John. I think there is still a market for the lips you produced in the past and whilst I am sure the materials you used are probably superior there seems to be a demand for a CF version. I have played with the idea of producing a copy but it seems a bit immoral to do that since you footed the bill for the original R & D, molds etc. I wondered if you are still interested in doing another run for members and if not if you would consider selling me the mold and the rights as a business venture so that I can carry on with these?

Why not pay him for his mold and earn a little respect rather than pay to make a new one when it only alienates a lot in this community who disagree with the DSM 'make a quick buck mentality'?

Moderator please feel free to delete or close post no further discussion needed........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned