The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

car won't start

the car wont start and there is an electrical buzz coming from the fuel pump (walbro 255) when i turn the ignition. Anyone know what my problem may be? the engine is not turning, there is just a buzz. I checked out the battery, and had the alternator recently re-built. Also, the same thing happens when trying to jump. The car runs fine when pushed started. I was gonna pulll the starter motor, but Im not convinced thats it.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gifstarter motor?!? Any suggestions?

autobahntom

Check to make sure the starter is connected. There is a spade connector that can come off-on the starter itself.
Tom

Rausch

If you are getting nothing from the starter at all (no click, slow turns, nothing) you can also disconnect the clutch switch (bottom switch), as that may be your issue as well.

Quoting ?/1000:
there is an electrical buzz coming from the fuel pump

Are you sure the buzz is from the fuelpump? The fuelpump shouldn't run until the engine is cranking. Are you sure it isn't the MFI relay behind the glove box?

Diego

sorry this is similar to my problem? what does the MHI switch do... sorry noob question i know but curious?

The MFI relay is controlled by the ECU, and it turns the +12 volt power on for the fuelpump and practically everything under the hood, like the injectors, coilpack, solenoids, MAS, etc. But, if its buzzing that often indicates an ECU problem.

Diego

holy crap! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

toybreaker

iconoclast
???/1000, I would be happy to help you do some hands on diagnostics.

Pm sent with contact info. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

John

Last edited:

icurunnin

I had the same problem and changed out the starter to only find my clutch switch was bad /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif
but I now have a new starter /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

thanks for all of the input. where is the clutch switch located? sounds like that could be it.

toybreaker

iconoclast
Quoting ???/xxxx:
Where is the clutch switch located?

It's like deja vu, all over again. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Quoting icurunnin:
I had the same problem and changed out the starter to only find my clutch switch was bad /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif
but I now have a new starter /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I remember that thread (discussing the clutch switch)

Quoting toybreaker:
Disconnect it. (the switch that is activated when the clutch pedal is all the way down)

When the pedal is anything but fully down, it's a complete circuit thru the switch.

It's only when the pedal is all the way down that the contact is broken at the switch, (which allows the starter to engage)

If there's a problem with the switch, or more likely the little tab it presses against, disconnecting the switch will allow the starter to operate regardless of the position of th cluch pedal.

Please note you will now have to pay attention, as the starter will now operate independently of the clutch pedal which could result in a bad day....should you decide to try and start it in gear. (ask me how I know... )

man, I was so excited that the problem was the clutch switch. I disconnected it, and I still have the same problem. Just and electrical buzz from what sounds like the rear of the car (fuel pump). What a bummer. I'm gona try the other options given earlier.

That's not a good sign if there is an electrical buzz from the rear of your car. If it really is the fuelpump:
1) why is it trying to run when you are even cranking the motor over?
2) why is it buzzing? Sounds possibly bad to me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif
One thing you might try is bypassing the MFI relay and sending 12 volts directly to the fuelpump. There is a female spade terminal on the firewall, near the VIN plate, that you can jumper +12 volts directly from the positive terminal of the battery to that terminal. See what happens.

is the mfi relay the box that reads "auto comp controller" this unit clicks when turning ignition. The fuel pump is just buzzing, but does not seem to be cycling. I will try what you suggested Keydiver. However, everything seems to be operating fine when push started. does this mean anything?

autobahntom

No, that is the controller for the heat/ac. The fuel pump relay is a metal box (about that same size though-somewhat smaler and fatter, gold in color. You are in the right general area though.
Tom

Sorry, I missed the part where you said the car runs fine if push started. So, the only real problem is that the starter isn't functioning at all? If you have a voltmeter, you should verify that the solenoid connection on the starter is getting +12 volts when you turn the key to "START". That's the small wire on the "S" terminal. This will probably require you crawling under the car on jackstands, so make sure the car is in neutral and you have taken every precaution!
If the solenoid IS getting 12 volts when you hit START, and the large battery cable terminal is also getting 12 volts, you have a bad starter. But, while you are under there you should also verify that the problem isn't with a corroded battery terminal, and the voltage actually isn't making it into the starter. The same is true of the heavy ground strap from the battery to the chassis. What seems like a good connection, and will allow the car to run once it is started, can actually be an intermittent connection that will open up under heavy load, like the several hundred amps the starter can draw.
Oftentimes to test things I will simply use a small piece of jumper wire to connect the heavy battery cable to the starter directly to the solenoid terminal, to see if the starter then engages. This bypasses the security system, and the keyswitch.

Last edited by a moderator:

toybreaker

iconoclast
Cian, you're saying it starts and runs normally when it's push started...

But, when you key it up to the start position, it just buzzes a relay behind the dash?

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Sounds like you may have a battery/terminal ground issue. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Give me a call, (cell # was in that pm) and I can give you some ideas, or at least get a better undestanding of what the problem might be.

I'm guessing there's some quality liquid refreshment nearby, so if need be, I can do a driveby. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

edit heh...trying to do too many things at once and missed jeff's excellent post. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned