The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

car that sat for 5 years

dsmtalontsi95

Back from the dead. Well after taking a break from the car I've started working on it agian. I've replaced the feul filter and the filler neck from the tank (was leaking), put new gas in it and I'm not getting gas to the fuel filter. Now while cranking the car I don't hear the pump until just after you stop cranking the car. Is this normal. I hear the pump just fine but after cranking the car. Another question is the fuel pump housing has the feed line out, it's rusted pretty badly. Could I take tin snips and cut the sheet metal to get the pump out with out taking that line off to replace the pump?

fivestardsm

Well what a lot of dsm guys do, is cut the rubber hose. That way, you can put a barb back in it and 2 hose clamps. Personally, I might have only cobbled one that way. I dont like to cobble!

Just an idea..

Oh BTW.. It is sacrilege to take snips to something to try and make it work. Look at it this way, You could replace the lines and the pump sending unit when ever you wanted, as many times as you wanted to, BUT.. you will never beable to undo a tin-snipped body!
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Last edited:

toybreaker

iconoclast
Quoting dsmtalontsi95:
Another question is the fuel pump housing has the feed line out, it's rusted pretty badly. Could I take tin snips and cut the sheet metal to get the pump out with out taking that line off to replace the pump?

You can also break the other end of the flexible rubber hose loose underneath the car at the mustache brace, and remove the pump with the flexible hose still attached to the pump.

dsmtalontsi95

Ok I'll try to break it lose under the car. What about the fuel pump itself? Is it sapposed to come on after cranking the car over?

toybreaker

iconoclast
^^^You are describing a correctly operating fuel pump circuit.

The fuel pump operation on these cars is controlled by the ecu.

It will run any time the key is in the starter position.

It will only run in the on position if the engine is running. As soon as the cas stops turning, the ecu turns off the fuel pump relay after a ~three second timed delay, killing the power to the pump.

Some chips and dsmlink will prime the fuel system with a ~five second timed run at the intitial key up, but then they will also turn the pump off after a time goes by that the ecu doesn't see cas activity.

Last edited:

dsmtalontsi95

Quoting toybreaker:
You are describing a correctly operating fuel pump circuit.

The fuel pump operation on these cars is controlled by the ecu.

It will run any time the key is in the starter position

But I don't hear the pump run till after I stop cranking the car. When I turn the key to start, the car cranks but I don't hear the pump. Once I stop cranking on the car (letting go of the key) I hear the pump kick on for around 1 second.

Last edited:

mitsuturbo

Quoting dsmtalontsi95:
Back from the dead. Well after taking a break from the car I've started working on it agian. I've replaced the feul filter and the filler neck from the tank (was leaking), put new gas in it and I'm not getting gas to the fuel filter. Now while cranking the car I don't hear the pump until just after you stop cranking the car. Is this normal. I hear the pump just fine but after cranking the car. Another question is the fuel pump housing has the feed line out, it's rusted pretty badly. Could I take tin snips and cut the sheet metal to get the pump out with out taking that line off to replace the pump?

if you want to know if it's pumping while you're cranking, pull the CAS and rotate it with you finger with the ignition in the on position (keep it plugged in, of course), or you could just put the return line into a bottle and have someone crank it. as for the seized connection at the pump assembly.. i had a car that i just cut the metal line on, and then put a short piece of hose with two clamps on it with the steel line pieces butted together.

dsmtalontsi95

^The pump is NOT running while the car is turning over, it kicks on for 1 second after you stop turning the car over.

mitsuturbo

Ok. I know i can't hear my pump over my car cranking when i turn it over. Now that i've give it some more thought, though.. i have seen this exact symptom before when my roommate's fuel pump relay went bad. His car was a Stealth TT. It's worth looking into, i suppose. I don't know if the relays (and thus, the potential for the problem) are the same, but they "look" similar. From what i remember, it was a fairly common occurrence on the 3/S cars. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned