The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

car rides high in rear after changing springs

I had bought my car with cut springs in the rear and I went to go change them back to stock, but now the rear end is sitting high up in the air and it makes the car look absolutely ridiculous and ride like crap. The rear is literally inches higher than the front. Does anyone have any reasons why this may have been? Something I may have stupidly forgotten to do or replace? Any suggestions or ideas are greatly appreciated and welcome.

Also, I was wanting to lower the car an inch or 2 (below factory) sometime in the future, what recommendations do you have for lowering springs? And are camber kits needed for any amount of lowering? One of the main reasons I was taking out the cut springs was because the camber was ridiculously off and causing nasty wear on the tires. (Just one of the DOZENS of things I've had to try and fix on this car due to the previous owner)

Thanks in advance.

H05TYL

It's probably got cut springs in the front also (you can cut a bit off and they still remain captive), or possibly aftermarket springs.

Specter

If you wanted to lower the car below the factory spec then why did u change the spring /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif It was already lowered, you could just wait to get some better after market springs.

mountaineerjeff

because maybe he wanted to treat his car the way it should be? you should never just cut the springs, and he is simply trying to fix all the problems with the car before he begins to mod it.

Id say you probably do have cut front springs as well, and youre just not used to the factory height that our cars are stock.
you did just replace the springs with stock one right? were they new? or a used set? the front ones could also just be worn in comparison

Specter

I never meant that he should not fix the problem, by all means fix it, what i meant was, now that his rear is at factory spec (assuming he bought the right springs) he now would have to install stock springs at the front also. He will have his problem solved for now, then later he will buy after market springs so that he can lower the car to his taste, the way i see it he can buy after market springs and do it all in one go. That is what i meant.

Well, I thought about that because the front of the car is still seems lowered a bit; maybe an inch at most, but not even close to what the rearend was lowered to. The car was so low in the back I couldn't even get in and out of my driveway without scraping the bottom.
Would having the front end only lowered an inch or so cause the rearend to sit like a truck? Because I compare it to my wife's intrepid, which is a pretty high riding car, and it sits inches higher than that.

I'm fine with it if the reason is just because the front is still low. At least then I know what the cause is. It just really seemed ridiculous. Sorry I didn't mention it in my last post about the front.

The reason I didn't just go and buy lowering springs that would give it a proper drop is because I couldn't afford both the springs and the camber kit to fix the rear just yet. Which also comes back to whether or not I do need a camber kit if I get a good set of springs that only lower the car an inch or a little more. The way my car was dropped in the rear even with an alignment they couldn't even come close to getting it near factory specs.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned