The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Can't open trunk

beaner

I've owned my vr4 for almost 2 years now, and I have yet to open the trunk once. Hoffa's body could be back there for all I know.

The key goes in, but won't turn. There is no latch next to the gas tank release by the drivers seat.

Any ideas?

GVR4_1057

I just did this friday. I opened the ski passage hole in the back seat and stuck an aluminum bar through and levered the latch open with a twisting action.

GMP has a keyless trunk lid and has to use the "rod through the ski hole" as well lol! Works, but takes some skilled sticking!

gmp

oh yeah no key looks sick but it has its faults hahaha for now anyways
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

strokin4dr

Pull back the carpet where the latch is supposed to be. You will see the cables for the gas door and trunk bolted down there. Pull cable; open trunk. Then fix the issue with key cylinder and cable setup.

turbowop

Quoting gmp:
oh yeah no key looks sick but it has its faults hahaha for now anyways
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

That's a lot of trouble to go through just to shave a lock off the trunk. Is it really worth it?

curtis

Lots of times the cable is stretched out... to shim it up after you get it open you can put a zip tie around the end of the cable or where the end goes into the lever arm. Fixed mine that way.

turbowop

Quoting 1941Galant:
There is always the CF trunk lid that doesn't have a hole for the lock.

I'm not talking about the actual shaving of the lock process. I'm talking about having to get inside the car, reach through the ski hole with a rod type tool to unlatch the trunk lid everytime you wanted to access it. I would rather just have a damn key hole on the back of the car. They don't look that bad. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Flip4G63

take all your ownership info up to mitsu and have them cut you a master key.

mikus

i've had my trunk lock go completely stuck (while just sitting in the garage /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif), just took a bit of lock spray to sort out. Both VR4's I've had have required a regular application of lock spray....

gmp

well it's only a prob for me for a little bit till i get a working rear trunk latch mine seems to only want to lock or stay popped open but not both /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Chad989of2000

Mine was threatening to snap keys once...WD40 the crap out of the key hole...if you can, get a ranged shot off from the pass through hole on the latch mechanism, that will also help...it will eventually loosen up.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned