The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Can't get alternator out

My problem isn't like most. I was able to get the bolts out easily. It is just that I am stuck playing rubix cube out there trying to get it out. I pulled the oil filter out but it didn't help much. Maybe it is because the car has a Mighty Max oil filter housing. Does the stock filter housing point straight down? This one points at a 45 degree angle.

Any ideas how to get this thing out from the bottom or top? I don't want to damage the oil filter housing threads and I can see it happening at this pace.

Thanks

chucklesas

Remove the upper intercooler hose and powersteering pump and bracket. That should give you enough room to pull it out the top.

mikus

^ this, plus PS lines bolt over motor mount and undo top radiator brackets so everything in the way has some slop. Then comes the tetris.

Its designed to come out the top. It may fit out the bottom, but ive never doe it that way. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif
As said above:

You can remove the PS pump and move it out of the way without loosing any fluid. Then you have to take off the mounting bracket for the PS pump and go from there.

mpt72

Just pull the radiator off and the intercooler piping off as well. I just did mine a few weeks ago and that's how I did it! Never touched the ps pump, FWIW.

I ended up pulling the radiator loosening the power steering pump and moving it out of the way. I also had to remove the P/S bracket. I had to remove my O2 sensor and External Wastegate.

Thanks for the help, I guess it was more involved because of the external wastegate.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned