The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Camshafts

Well, my simple 3 day weekend maintenance to the Galant turned out to be more than I expected (like they always do I guess) Anyways, while doing a timing belt I figured now would be a good time to upgrade to 3g lifters. Well, once I got the cams out BIG suprise, the #4 intake cam journal is simply destroyed along with that cam journal as well as a journal on the exhaust.
So now I am replacing the head and cams. I have located a cylinder head but still need cams. I have my eyes set on a set of Brian Crower cams but really don't want to spend the money right now. So when looking for stock cams I have some telling me that N/A cams for the 1st gen are the same as turbo. Then I read they are different and later read the N/A cams work better in the turbo cars. So in other words I have tried to search, but I can not get a straight answer. Any help would be much appreciated

NA cams are different then turbo cams.

USDM 4G63 (Eclipse/Talon Turbo) Stock 248°/248° 200°/200° .349"/.350" 8.86/8.89
USDM 4G63 (Eclipse Non Turbo) Stock 256°/248° 208°/204° .365"/.349" 9.27/8.86

holeshotmoe

This thread is way old but I'm out of the cam technology loop, and I have a question that is somewhat related: I see those numbers are different but what's the advantage of one over the other. The reason I ask is because I put a set of turbo cams in a GGSX when I did a valve job on it, and now it seems to be even weaker than it was. Imagination or should I swap the NA cams back in? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Last edited:

curtis

put the na cams in... your losing because the total lift and duration is different plus a turbo cam has more overlap. time when intake valve and exhaust valve are open at the same time period. Turbo cams don't need as much lift from the factory because the turbo is pumping in more O2 and fuel.

wiki
how stuff works
watch video

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned