The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

camber plate modification, your thoughts please.

fivestardsm

Quoting BarnesMobile:
Quoting fivestardsm:
No matter how strong the bolts are, they will inevitably fail.

How do you reach this conclusion? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

My initial guess is that the bolts would not fail, but the sheet metal below the bolts. Unless you have a sufficient backing plate. However, I'd have to know the grade and size of those bolts before I could make that judgment.

I belive that it would happen because the force of the strut would be pushing against the bolts and nuts, instead of the strut tower reinforcement plates.

Barnes

Yes. I know the force would be held by the bolts. That's why you have bolts that are strong enough. You said: "No matter how strong the bolts are, they will inevitably fail."

I'm sorry. That's just flat wrong. With a reinforcing place and correctly sized Grade 8 or 10.9 bolts, I doubt you would EVER have a problem. A single 1/2" grade 8 bolt will hold over 20,000lbs axially, and about 14,000lbs in shear. This doesn't factor in fatigue, corrosion, etc etc, but you get the idea. Maybe I'm nit-picking but I'm a stickler for the facts.

BONUS: Sweet chart at the bottom I found when I was looking for shear strength. I sometimes forget my rules of thumb. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

kartorium

What barnes and others have said is when I'm more concerned with the other issues I brought up. For the time being she waits until I can decide what to do.

You have ground controls?

They seem to poise a ridiculous amount of pressure right at the strut top.

Here is a local 240sx member that had just that issue:

Broken Strut-ness

I guess "Barrel Springs" on the GC perches helps relieve some of that side-loading, but this type of coil-over, mixed with a McPherson Strut causes crazy high loads right where you are about to use an adaptor. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Ahh yes.

*You* have ground controls, that's right! (I will get them for you soon)

kartorium

Quoting number638:
You have ground controls?

They seem to poise a ridiculous amount of pressure right at the strut top.

Here is a local 240sx member that had just that issue:

Broken Strut-ness

I guess "Barrel Springs" on the GC perches helps relieve some of that side-loading, but this type of coil-over, mixed with a McPherson Strut causes crazy high loads right where you are about to use an adaptor. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Doesn't really seem to apply to my situation, but thanks for the example.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned