The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Built trans?

4thStroke

As strange as it may be, most transmission failures seem to be at cruise or light acceleration... following abuse... of course.

Now that I just said that, 3rd let go on me at the track, mid pull, after it had previously been acting up. I have yet to trash an axle or transfer case. There is a certain finesse when "beating" on a car. You can drive a car hard without actually beating on it. People can't figure out how I've had as much "good" luck as I've had for what it's been through.

One thing some people will never get is that you do not always need to shift hard. I know some guys who, if they are wide open throttle, they are on kill mode even if they aren't racing. Even if I race, I take my time when shifting, it just isn't worth beating on my daily driver like that.

turbowop

Finesse is exactly what it is. I have a metric sh*t-ton of timeslips from '01-'03 that show lots of 1.6x-1.7x 60ft times. All on a stock 3-bolt rear. Never broke a single axle. I upgraded the following winter just to get the LSD and to remove 4ws. Having stronger axles was just an added bonus to me as I never had any issues with the stockers.

That said, I did blow up first gear at the track not long after that.

marvinmadman

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
That's exactly my story. I feel the same about "beating" on my cars. Even my daily beater has seen 8.2k redline everyday for over 2 years. I shift every gear in vtec yo! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

DynastyLCD

Quoting 4thStroke:
As strange as it may be, most transmission failures seem to be at cruise or light acceleration... following abuse... of course.

Now that I just said that, 3rd let go on me at the track, mid pull, after it had previously been acting up. I have yet to trash an axle or transfer case. There is a certain finesse when "beating" on a car. You can drive a car hard without actually beating on it. People can't figure out how I've had as much "good" luck as I've had for what it's been through.

One thing some people will never get is that you do not always need to shift hard. I know some guys who, if they are wide open throttle, they are on kill mode even if they aren't racing. Even if I race, I take my time when shifting, it just isn't worth beating on my daily driver like that.

funny you say that... a very good friend who recently got out of DSM's had this problem. blew up a TRE stage 3 and a Shep stage 4, both times cruising down the highway. i think that's what made him want to quit.

all my trans failures have been since August of 2010. ironically, i never had any major transmission failures on any of my other cars, but once i knew how to take them apart and fix them, all hell broke loose. funny huh?

i borked:
1-2 shift fork
3-4 shift fork (twice, two different trans)
crown shaft, splines to bottom of center diff. and drives the front diff (THREE times, in three different trans)
stripped the center diff. housing gear, 3rd gear on the input shaft, and on the intermediate shaft. 3rd gear pull.
2 sets of center diff spider gears

i can account to every one of those failures being my fault. all the shift fork issues were just me trying to shift way too fast. i use stock transmissions and fix them as i go along. right after the first set of center diff spider gears i trashed, i decided to try welding the center diff. and seeing how it was. ive done it to all my transmissions since, and i feel like its good added insurance. the second time, i had bought a trans that supposedly already had a welded diff. turns out the viscous coupling was welded, which later destroyed the spider gears. before i installed the trans, i should have taken the 5 minutes to take the cases off and look at the diff myself instead of taking someones word for it. my fault for ignorance. when i mangled every part of 3rd gear including the center diff housing gear, it was on a 4k - 7.5k pull. this happened the very next night following breaking the 3-4 shift fork, in which i was being rather abusive to the car when it happened.

the crown shaft failures were either when the center diff spider gears broke, or launching it really hard. i mean, 6k anti-lag stupid type launches. and since it was a welded diff, i just drove it around RWD for awhile. it was fun yet sketchy. the FP3052 really made it quite dangerous at that point /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned