The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Building my block..Built motor owners chime in!

Bimmubishi

Dialcaliper is right. Scat are a great value. Both Scat and Eagle are forged in China (actually at different places though, I talked to them at PRI) only Scat is machined and finished here in the US whereas Eagle is not as Dialcaliper said. I have 490whp in my car and I use Arias pistons, Scat Rods, standard manifolds on both ends (no porting) standard head and HKS 272 cams. It's been going strong for 3 seasons now onto 4.

Alex

Last edited:

I'm runnin JE pistons and Eagle rods. I bought the shortblock used from a DSMTuners member... Broke it in properly and all ARP. Got a hell of a deal. I was researching forever before I went with this particular setup. Ideally, on my budget, I would have paid a little more for a Ross piston but after some reading I found JE was right there with them. That and they can't exactly custom build my engine at the used engine factory...

Putting it back together as we speak. Should be up and running after I win the lottery.

onesickcrx

Carrillo and JE's or Ross's /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I got my 64 stock crank new for 200. 330 shipped for scat rods. 430 shipped for mahle pistons 200 for balance, machine work and pp surface. honing cylinders in my living room w/ 90w.... priceless

Last edited by a moderator:

Boostin21

eagle rods with .040 wiseco.

going to be groden and some kind of aluminum piston w/ 10:1 cr in a year or so.

i plan on making 5-600 this year and hella more on the next build.

bigblock4g63

i like ross or manley for pistons and any h beam rod for under 550hp and if i remember right alex from dogbox racing had eagles in this laser on nitrous and was going low 9's. i have a car going 10.8 w/o nitrous and 10.3 w/nitrous on manley and big rod w/arp's. without a probelm.

HHIVR4

Thanks for all the input so far.

I have yet to get the block out to the machine shop.Ive been doing some rewiring to clean up the engine bay and deleted cruise.Im contemplating removing the a/c also.Its so damn hot here in the summer its hard to take it out even though I used it 5 times last year.I did get the rear subframe pulled ,painted door trim,and cleaned the under carriage.

HHIVR4

Update...

I think I found a freshly built longblock locally.

A guy I know is seriously considering giving up on his 92 Talon AWD.It has some wiring issues,clutch issues, etc etc.It needs a shopping list worth of parts and some serious time to rewire all the hacked up sh*t.I tried yesterday to help him get the car started for the first time after installing the engine but all we could get it to do was blow flames out of the exhaust.It was flooding horribly also.I think its all becuase of bad harness repair and improperly wired MAF translator.

Anyways the motor is .20 over with Wiseco 9:1 on Scat rods,polished crank,fresh rebuild on head with BC 272's,Turbonetics 50 trim with Bullseye housing (some shaft play),GM maf (wiring issues),2 stage Turbo XS bc,ACT 2900 (new),JDM AWD trans thats supposedly good (dont know cant drive it),new front cover and all seals,Cyclone Intake (w/Keydiver chip),FIC 650's,ARP Hardware and a Cometic (I think) head gasket.

If I can talk him into it I should have 1280 back up in the next few weeks!!!

HHIVR4

Well the guy is giving up on the Talon finally.He did a compression test and got 25,0,0,0.Hopefully it is just a timming issue and at worst bent valves..The engine hasn't run yet so Im keeping my hopes up that its an easy fix.

PreskitVR4

check tdc, i had the exaust cam in 180 off, totally stupid i know, but my comp check yielded similar dowels on cam up /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

4wheelsqueal

ditch the act 2900 if you get the whole setup. they suck!

HHIVR4

OK folks the motor is out of the Talon as of 7 tonight..I found that the head studs were NOT torqued in the block..LOL..That would explain the no compression issue..

Anyways Im giog to try and get it bolted in 1280 tommorow and start putting everything back together.Im hoping to have it running in the next week or so but Im still in need of some minor parts.

HHIVR4

Finally got some time today work on the car.
HEres a couple pics of the motor..Im going to do the timming shortly and hopefully be out of the JSB crew next week.

Quoting HHIVR4:
timming shortly and hopefully be out of the JSB crew next week.

Don't worry about it. It's a Galant, if you're out of the JSB crew, it'll only be temporary /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Looking good, by the way!

HHIVR4

Got the motor in this morning!!!
I forgot how hard it is to do by myself... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif
Good to make some progress on it.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned