The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Brakes acuated themselves???

Terry Posten

My t-case never made a sound. It just lock up solid at 50 mph. Fastest stop I have ever experienced. Good thing nobody was behind me. And when it did lock up, it broke one of the rear axles.

I got lucky that nothing more happened.

Every time my ABS "glitched", I felt it in the brake pedal and the noise was very motorized.

What exactly did you feel/hear?

transfer case recall? how would i check to see if that's been taken care of? and i was driving along, low RPMs (just under 2000), i was looking in my mirror to make sure i was clear to merge into the next lane, i noticed my red "brake" light come on, then just as i'm about to start merging it just jerks twice in a row real quick, both times it's like it locked the wheel/wheels for about 1/2 a second each time, my foot wasnt on the brakes so i couldn't tell you how they felt, but the pedal felt ok afterwards, didn't have any issues slowing down or stopping at the stop sign about 100 feet down the road

Wizardawd

Bad news on the T-case recall though, it's been over 10 years since they issued and they are no longer obligated to honor it. At least that's what I was told from NHTSA.

Most dealers will honor it IF it has never been done since it's a win-win for them. But, otherwise it may be a long and exhausting battle that ultimately just means you buy the $14 kit to fix the leak.

Not sure on the brake light, while i'd like to say that would definately be an ABS issue like a bad wheel sensor causing the ABS motor to kick in, it could also be the T-case binded up and the resulting change in wheel speed, etc made the ABS computer throw a light, but I doubt it.

Wiz

haha, if it helps, my CV joints have started clicking recently... the whole car for the most part needs some kind of rebuilt, suspension, little bit of drivetrain, and now engine /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif it's all coming though, i just need some time to save up, lol, i won't drive it hard though, even when i get the new engine in, until EVERYTHING checks out and is good to go (which will be in a few years, with my current paycheck, lol)

update: rolled the car to the auto hobby shop across the street (full garage, $5 an hour full access, it's awesome, lol) got it up on the lift, and checked the T case fluid. looks clean, the car was leaning just BARELY towards the back, but the fluid was still right at the fill hole line, so it's not low... i'm guessing it was something in the ABS that caused it to pull its little lockup maneuver, which is cool with me, lol, gives me an excuse to take it all out anyway /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif i personally don't believe in ABS. or traction control, or airbags really /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif i'm a little guy, i think airbags would crush me lol, and ABS and Traction Control bother me cuz i'm a bit of a control freak, lol, i don't want the car telling me when it wants to brake, or stop putting power to the wheels

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned