The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Brake problems

alik

Pushing the pedal at rest, and it goes down all the way. I just swapped a new master, and bled 4 corners. ABS is disconnected, but, impossible to bleed (too far up the ass).

The car stops perfectly fine. I used Motive Power bleeder and ATE Blue. I've got a rejected sticker because of this crap.

Anyone have any ideas?

toybreaker

iconoclast
Did you bench bleed the master?

alik

With power bleeder (pressure bleeder), there's no need to bench bleed the master (have done this many a time on the race car (Miata))

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Same size master cylinder?

alik

Yep.

Chatted with toybreaker, it's the ABS unit.
ABS delete, braided lines, will report after that.

toybreaker

iconoclast
Nice talking to you, Al /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Since Al isn't going to be using the abs system, he's going to delete it, replace the prop valve and fab up some new lines.

Replacing the rubber lines at the age and mileage his car has just makes sense so he's going to do that as well.

I'm betting that will make everything golden. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

If it doesn't he'll be checking the individual rotor temps with a pyrometer after a test drive to see if it's a caliper problem.

[edit] Good question, Dave!

Last edited:

alik

Looking around, it's easier to find Jimmy Hoffa than a proportioning valve from GSX.
I'll have to search for DSM AWD unit.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Well, did you find Jimmy? Otherwise, they appear to be equally futile, perhaps?

toybreaker

iconoclast
Ever notice that odd bump at mile marker #217, e.b. on the massapajoisey pike?

Kinda makes you go hmmmmmm, don't it? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Adorsey

Lol jimmy.. Did you check your local junk yard for the valve? I'm going to mine this week to do exactly that. Just got a NT tb on friday from the same car.
Good luck

I picked up my prop valve and brake lines from a non-abs fwd Galant in a junkyard, and IIRC it had disc brakes. I had to tweak the lines a bit to fit in the original clips.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned