The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Body modifications

Kenny_Kline

I was looking to change a few things on the Galant. I will be repainting the car. I am looking on where to buy the chrome strip that runs across the entire side of the car including the bumper. Its all cracked and peeling in places. I was thinking maybe masking off and painting it???

Also, the skins on the car. 2 of my skins are damaged. I dont even know how to remove them. ANy pointers or tips on how these things come off without damaging and where to buy new ones or even used would be great.

Last edited by a moderator:

curtis

This is time consuming but the plastic cover on the chrome can be pulled off. The sides and the back shouldn't be that bad but the front usually is. Then you can go to Auto Zone and get a few rolls of black vinyl pin stripe, The rolls are twice as wide as you need so you build a jig out of wood with a guide on both sides and a razor blade in the middle. After cutting it dead in the middle your ready. Clean the area really good with prep solvent/ auto zone brake parts clear etc. Then get to it, no taping off for paint etc and stuff lasts forever.

Make sure you use a squeegee or something in the corners it will chip off with age if it doesn't stick and make contact. This stuff works good on the chrome around the brake lights as well. Total cost should be about 20 bucks.

Last edited:

jepherz

Staff member
Which part are the "skins?" The door cards?

I just repainted mine and ended up just pulling the chrome stripping out. I think I'll try and replace it with black 3m stripping. Another option if you want black, which I did on my other car, is to use 3m pin striping tape like Curtis suggested. Mine was 1" wide and I had to cut it at about 3/4" and use a razor blade to push the edges in. You can't even tell it's tape on there now though.

I asked Turbowop how much new OEM chrome stripping was, and he said it would be over $300 (as I recall) to buy all new chrome. I'd check a paint store before removing the stock stuff; they may have aftermarket that's way cheaper.

turbowop

All new chrome trim from the factory would be about $160. You gotta buy four "rear bumper trim" pieces to do the whole car, and each one is $40. Longest piece needed is for the rear bumper, which is why that's the only one they offer now and the other part numbers supersede to its number. The trim comes boxed in a roll and is trim to fit.

slugsgomoo

i keep fighting with eliminating the chrome either via removal or painting when I paint the car. it looks ok on the black & green cars, but I just don't feel it with grey /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

fivestardsm

You could do like was done on mine.. Who ever owned it used wide gold pinstripe and covered up the chrome. You can get what ever color you want. It didn't look too bad, other than you could tell it had been on there a while. The best part about it tho, If you dont like it, with a heat gun and some time it comes of pretty easy with a minor wipe down after. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
I was actually think of putting black back on mine.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
I almost did red on my nile black car, but then decided I was going with silver wheels and kept the chrome.

vr460mez

When I resprayed my galant I replaced the chrome trim with something similar to this. You can also get it in black.
click

BoostedAWD91

my chrome trim was painted the color of the car, but the paint didnt really stick to it well so its starting to crack in spots

StarionESIR

What about red trim pieces from a Colt or Mirage? Not all of the cars with red trim were turbo either so it shouldnt be too hard to find in the junkyards.

-Mike

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned