The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

BMW e36 headlights on vr4

prove_it

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Wookalar

Quoting prove_it:
The shorter exhaust doesn't save much weight, but it helps with power since the piping has less bends and less length. Technically it makes more sense. Plus the oil pan won't pick up radiant heat from the exhaust.

Tru.dat.

Upskirt shots are in order.

GSTwithPSI

Quoting jcrimboli:
That thing is wild, I like it. I'm pretty sure the guy didn't spend the time and money to shave weight from the exhaust system though...

More like added a sh*t ton of extra weight...

click

EHmotorsports

I see maybe 2-3 lbs more weight. Not really a sh*t ton.

coyotes

Quoting GSTwithPSI:
Quoting jcrimboli:
That thing is wild, I like it. I'm pretty sure the guy didn't spend the time and money to shave weight from the exhaust system though...

More like added a sh*t ton of extra weight...

click

is there a thread on his headlights?

GSTwithPSI

Quoting EHmotorsports:
I see maybe 2-3 lbs more weight. Not really a sh*t ton.

1 fender weighs in excess of 3 lbs. Add body filler and paint, and I'm sure that weight adds up to much more than 2-3 lbs. As I'm sure you are aware, paint weighs much more than people realize. What can be precieved as a sh*t ton may vary, but it's weight none the less. My point being, when you are talking about modding the exhaust system to save weight, the body mods added make it a moot point. If weight savings is a priority, making a custom wide body kit by virtually welding on dual sets of fenders isn't the way.

EHmotorsports

Its not like he put a fender over the original fender and welded it on. He took fenders from another car and modified them. the small 1" strip of maybe 18-20 gauge steel wouldn't add up to much weight at all. I did something similar to an AE86 corolla to accommodate wider tires. It only added about 2 more lbs with sheet metal,paint and bondo.

also depending on what your goals are. adding even 10 lbs of weight to be able to run wider tires far outweigh the drawbacks.

Last edited:

prove_it

From Bmw headlights to widebody weight debate.... ah how the GVR4 train de-reails. haha

GSTwithPSI

Quoting EHmotorsports:
Its not like he put a fender over the original fender and welded it on. He took fenders from another car and modified them. the small 1" strip of maybe 18-20 gauge steel wouldn't add up to much weight at all. I did something similar to an AE86 corolla to accommodate wider tires. It only added about 2 more lbs with sheet metal,paint and bondo.

also depending on what your goals are. adding even 10 lbs of weight to be able to run wider tires far outweigh the drawbacks.

I realize it's a "new" modified fender, but it still adds weight any way you cut it. I was only trying to point out in my original post that the modifications in this case offer zero weight savings, and that in fact achieve just the opposite by adding weight to all 4 corners of the car. I agree the weight added is probably negligible, and may have exaggerated a bit by using sh*t ton to describe the amount of weight added.

I also see your point about a wide body design, and can agree there can be upsides in some scenarios. To derail this train a bit further though, lets be real for a second; In general, wide body kits offer very little (if any) performance gain on a street car. There are already guys on this forum running 9" wide wheels, so no real gain there. And, unless you're trying to shave tenths of a second off your lap time by improving the already garbage aerodynamics of a VR4, a wide body kit just makes your Galant VR4 look like a race car, not actually perform like one. Let's not forget, most functional aerodynamics take tons of R&D to actually perform and yield real world results. Anyone can cut holes in a bumper or put some covers over air ducts, I'm not referring to these types of mods. I'm talking real aero parts tested and engineered using wind tunnels and sh*t. The wide body design on this car specifically would actually hinder the flow of air and increase drag due to the blunt and choppy design features. I think it's safe to say the only thing gained here was aesthetics, if that's even your thing.

No matter what is said one thing is for sure; the whole build is unique from top to bottom. Above all else, I definitely can appreciate the work put in to the project. I think it was executed well, and turned out good for the owner. It's not exactly eye candy to me personally, but that doesn't take away from the effort that was put forth. I'm more interested in details about the Evo head swap. That's something you also don't see everyday.

EHmotorsports

100% agree! I leave the wind tunnel tests to the engineers. I do have a love for the looks of a wide body car and for most cars they will not even go fast enough for aero to come into play. Its why I don't like wings except when its needed.
I cant say I am a fan of the e30 and e36 headlights. but I cant say I hate them. to each there own.

GSTwithPSI

Quoting EHmotorsports:
I cant say I am a fan of the e30 and e36 headlights. but I cant say I hate them.

Funny you say that! That's exactly how I feel.

turbowop

I think they could look good. The final product needs more polish, IMO. Some type of housing to take up the negative space.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned