The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

ball joint and tie rod removal

paul j

Is there any way to remove these joints without a pickle fork which destroys the boot. At times(once?) I have been able to shock them loose with a heavy hammer hit but usually they get destroyed and you can not put heat on them. I have tried the lever type from auto parts stores rental but they have been too thick to get between hub and ball joint. Any tools or tricks that REALLY work-all the time? I am tired of buying new joints every time you want to remove them.

slugsgomoo

hammer what they're going into once you've loosened the nut, should pop 'em free. The mistake is usually hitting the balljoint rather than the knuckle or whatnot.

89Mirageman

I've had luck with putting a block of wood under the rotor and applying some pressure with a jack and then smacking it around the ball-joint. Seems to work better this way.

prove_it

When you put the BJ nut on don't tighten the living sh*t out of it. It doesn't take that much. That usually is what causes them to get stuck if they have already been apart before.

Also antiseize is your friend too.

TylerAdamson

Smack the lower control arm and not the actual ball joint. This method always works.

prove_it

^Wrong.

Doing this can weaken the arm and possibly damage the ball joint in the process. You hit the knuckle where the BJ stud comes through. It's a tricky spot, but hitting the knuckle there while applying downward pressure on the arm is the right way.

It does help to soak the nut and stud with a good penetrating lube a few days before repairs are made. Do it everyday and it will help.

toybreaker

iconoclast

good

Using two good hammers, smack the knuckle smartly

If you're good you can swing both hammers and hit the knuckle at the same time.

I'm not that good /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

It works just as well to hold one against the knuckle and swing the other one, aiming for a spot opposite the held hammer for maximum effect.

When the swung hammer hits the knuckle, the impact will knock the held hammer away from the knuckle. (the held hammer "acts" like a dolly, and will increase the force the taper in the knuckle will "see".)

Having them opposite each other means when the impact occurs, it'll shock the taper somewhat symettrically.

The balljoint will usually free up in two or three whacks.

better

This technique requires a helper.

play nice and your wife/girlfriend will help you /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Stick a long bar over the control arm, all the way back to the unibody behind the wheel. It's best to use as long a bar as possible so it will that allows them to stand in front of the car away from any potential trauma (truck torsion bars work really well for this!)

have your helper pry down.

Give the knuckle a solid smack

when it doesn;t pop free the first time, try saying, "gee honey have you lost weight? that bastid shoulda just popped right out of there /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Smack it again, and it should free up.

be sure to leave the nut on the balljoint a few turns to prevent the helper from going ass over teacups when the balljoint breaks free. You will lose any drop panty points you *may* have gained with the last bit of deft wording

... very quickly

best

no muss, no fuss, no rough stuff

This technique works the best!

Just put some tension on it, and it'll pop free *almost* everytime easy~like

... if you have to, a gentle smack on the side of the knuckle (same place as before) will insure great success

transparentdsm

^Toybreaker this is a great how to... move it to that section.

also, i love the wife/girlfriend comment as she is my helper for these kinds of things. haha

Last edited:

prove_it

One thing about the popper:

I recommend using a nut on the end of the ball joint to protect the threads. If you do use one, you can mushroom the threads out from the popper.

toybreaker

iconoclast
That's a good point! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Anytime I'm going to re-use components, that's exactly what I do

I also try to tie a string/wire to the tool and hook it to something on the car so when things release the tool doesn;t go flying

prove_it

^ do that.

I watched a guy fracture his cheek bone from one of these things. It was a nasty owwwiee.

paul j

toybreaker what brand is your threaded popper? Is it a ebay $30 or the OTC expensive one that I cannot locate? Do you have any thoughts on quality of inexpensive ones?

G

Staff member
Not sure if this works on mitsus but I tried it last weekend on my crv and it worked perfectly. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif click

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned