The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

balance shaft pully removal with belts off

paul j

I decided to remove balance shaft pulley after everything was apart and up on stands. Any ideas how to hold the pulley to get the bolt off? I tried squeezing the belt together with pliers while holding the crank with a wrench but the pliers broke the belt.
Suggestions?

AnotherNewb

Try hitting it several times in reverse with the impact letting the pulley stop spinning in between whacks. That usually shocks it loose.

Wizardawd

Only option for the front shaft I would think at this point is to drop the oil pan and insert/wedge something against the weights to keep it from spinning.

Wiz

idreamidrive

Did you www.vfaq.com ? If you just want to get it out, the breakerbar and tap starter, but you won't be able to torque it down afterwards. If you go to the timing belt section of vfaq they "show" you how to remove it and to make a tool to hold the crank from spinning so you can install it too

Edit: I suck at reading.

So it is just the harmonic ballancer? Put a breaker bar with extension on crank bolt to keep in place and get the four bolts off with ratchet.

If you are trying to do the crank bolt, then take off balancer and make tool from vfaq to hold crank in place.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts