The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Bad to No Idle

2of9

Hey guys,

DTC is throwing out 0012 - Volume Air Flow Circuit Malfunction. Does this code deal with the mass air sensor?

I do have the S-AFC currently plugged in also, I've zero'd the settings in the s-afc. I did some research about this code and it's possible that my mas harness or afc harness may not be plugged in or not correctly wired. My harness for the MAS is a 1g to 2g converstion harness for my 95-96 Summit MAS (I will go with a 501 mas quite soon). The harness is plugged in very good. I have to keep on the gas for the car to idle and even if I let it idle with me on the gas, it doesn't idle well at all. I didn't have the code pop up before DSMLink. BUT, the CEL would go on every time I'd be cruising on the highway and it'd would only go off if I let go of the throttle for a bit and get back on the throttle. I would love to say that it isn't a boost leak that's making me idle like this but I haven't done a boost leak test. I'd like to fix this issue before I go for a tune.

I didn't add any sensors to the ecu to log with. I zero'd out everything in DSMLink, time, fuel, the major stuff. Before DSMLink, I had the old-school Technomotive chip in there w/ the safc and it'd still have a hard time keeping idle and during a drive, if I threw the car into neutral, it wouldn't idle and it'd die if I didn't give it some gas. Before Link, it'd idle alright when it was warm but now with Link, the car won't Idle at all unless I give it some gas. I'm sure it may be the MAS because of the code. I'm currently wondering if it might be my FIAV...I won't block the whole FIAV but just parts of it. I'm thinking about deleting or just checking if my vacuum lines are cracked from the TB-to-where ever they go.

Thanks!

mods:
ported 2g mani
3" exhaust system
e316g
550cc
95-96 summit mas
fmic
s-afc (zero'd out)
dsmlink v2

go to dsm links website and learn how to use the simulated throttle position option see if that helps, most likely a maf issue

Adorsey

Its not that hard to explain...
Just with the car off(but on acc. or what ever), so youre logging with the link.
Log yourself putting the gas pedal all the way to the floor. And just let off the pedal after.
Stop the stream, right click on the log screen, scroll down the dialoge box for "TPS ADJUST", and click.
If you go back to ECU configuaration or whichever you can see where it compisated for it.
THEN- IMO, I would click & save, the SIMULATE IDLE SWITCH. so you dont even need to have your tps plugged in.
super easy.

I hope this does a little to help your idle, check for boost leaks! good luck

2of9

I'm gonna bump this back up. I switch MAS with the stock mas, I have the HKS Super Intake for our cars with the 1g mas plug. The code still pops up. But, logging the car, I can see that my TPS volts are at .49v...which is relatively low compared to where it should be at (.63v). I'm really hoping it's the mas and the TPS just needs to be adjusted.

2of9

gonna bump this up. Much help is apreciated. I haven't had much time to really touch my car within the past month or so. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

WaRrIoRs16

Not that this helps any, but I had this same code and have the same idle issues. I was on the stock MAS with a 1g intake pipe. I reset my ecu, and it took a week(I don't drive very far usually) for it to come back. I just swapped out my MAS for a hacked 1g MAS last night(not positive on its condition) and I'm still waiting to see if the code is going to come back, either way it did nothing for my idle. Sorry I can't be much help.

2of9

code still pops up. took the negative off the car this weekend (I had a VERY busy weekend) and the code still pops up. during warm up, the car is solid. Once the car warms up, it doesn't even want to idle. TPS voltage is around the .45-.49v. But it still doesn't explain the 0012 code that I still have. The code was not popping up before I had Link in. ??

WaRrIoRs16

When I had that code, the check engine light would never light up. I only noticed it when I hooked up my logger and decided to check for stored errors. Did you ever check for the code prior to having Link? I honestly don't know how long I have had the code because I never checked my logger until I actually noticed problems, but I don't know how much of an affect the MAS had on my problems since swapping in another one had no effect on my idle and I found out that my ISC driver was shorted.

I have replaced my stock MAS with a 1g MAS and I haven't got the code in two weeks yet, so I'm assuming in my case the GVR4 MAS was not functioning properly.

sounds like you def had more than one problem. so how is the car running now after two weeks no codes?

WaRrIoRs16

Well the MAS didn't change anything when I put it in two weekends ago, so it still idled poorly. Last weekend I was just messing with my TPS and evidentally something I did created a hissing noise at idle so I have a vacuum leak around the TB now that I will fix this weekend. I also found my 47uF capacitor leaked onto a trace that goes straight to the ISC driver on the ecu, causing my ISC motor to not function properly. I replaced the ecu, but I'm thinking the vacuum leaks and my mutilated BISS screw are my problem now, so maybe by Monday when my BISS screw comes in I'll be alright. Car runs great besides the idle.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts