The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Axles and Diffs

cheekychimp

Yeah that is my situation. I had a plate diff which I upgraded to the ATS carbon plate diff. The original JDM axles therefore fit. It seems it was my bad for buying DSS shafts that were built for a 4-Bolt viscous diff rear.

You live and learn!

jepherz

Staff member
This question is somewhat on the same topic: Does anyone know for sure if the non-lsd USDM 3 bolt driver's side axle is the same as the USDM 3 bolt LSD driver's side? Most of the threads I found discussing this stated they were the same, but I saw one statement in a thread saying the opposite. Seeing Cheeky's pics of the USDM LSD vs. the JDM non-LSD have me wondering.

grocery_getter

Is the shaft diameter different at the different steps? If the axle end itself is the same and just an issue with the one from DSS being too long, can't you just find a machinist in town that can put this on a lathe and cut the extra small end and cut the groove for the retainer ring on the splined section of the DSS axle?

cheekychimp

Andre,

That actually might be feasible for the long axle. I am still concerned however that the shorter axle will be a weak link because the splines cannot be pushed all the way in. We have cleaned and reassembled the JDM axles using new boots and grease. I'm sure they will be fine for now. I don't intend doing any hard launching yet. I'll deal with this after I've got the car running. By the way, your chromoly arms look the business!

It may be that what you need are the Evo1/2/3 rear axles. That was what is used with the Kaaz mechanical LSD.
Mike R.

cheekychimp

Mike,

I am pretty sure that is what these are, hence the reason the JDM axles fit without issue. I am all set. I have no doubts that my rear diff will work. I am just a bit miffed I didn't do enough research to realize these rather expensive chromoly rear axles were wrong for this application. It also presumably means that any chromoly axles for this application would need to be custom made.

Quote:
Does anyone know for sure if the non-lsd USDM 3 bolt driver's side axle is the same as the USDM 3 bolt LSD driver's side?

My stock non-LSD GVR-4 axle would NOT slide in the whole way when I swapped to a 3-bolt LSD diff. It stuck out ~1/8 inch, which always bugged me.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned