The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

ATTENTION: Evo Owners....

mpt72

the evo may be a better car, but the gvr4 has soooooooo much more personality! That and you can go to the junkyard and find something for it, not so much with the evo.

I am right now having the same issue. I have loved my GVR4, and it is a blast to drive. There is nohting better than killing any car on the freeway in a 4door. However now I have to race bikes because when I race anything else I dont know if they are going or not /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif. My galant makes 700hp on race gas, and will murder anything on the streets.

Now my favorite part about the galant is that I dont care if anything breaks, because the car is 20 years old. I dont mind cutting into the car, because it is 20 years old, I dont mind the looks I get from people when they are hoping that my car does not explode on the highway.

But I would like to tuck a fat tire under the car and be able to take a turn faster than 20mph.

In the up comming months I am going to switch to an evo, now most of my parts from the galant will swap across to the evo. Fuel system, Turbo, Intercooler, Gauges, AEM EMS, sensors, and a few other ods and ends. The only thing I cannot take with me is the motor. hell I am going to use my twin plate on my evo.

So the moral of the story, as you are upgrading your galant just make sure that you can take your parts with you to an evo and you are good.

cheekychimp

^ Mmmm, I might have cooked my goose with the built Galant, but I think I'll wait in the wings with the stock one. This baby goes both ways so when you mod your EVO I'll scavenge your stock parts for the VR4 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

ktmrider

Quoting cheekychimp:
I think a lot of people are basing the disparity between the EVO and a VR4 on their experience driving a car with Bilsteins and an Active Centre Differential against their 20 year old daily driver on GR2s and AGXs with nothing but open diffs.

I am not suggesting that you can ever bridge the gap completely but I think some of you might be surprised how well a VR4 handles with some really good suspension, a full compliment of 'real' differentials and some adjustable camber plates/control arms etc

+1 to this.
Apples to Oranges, I went Bilstein and H-Tech on the LGT recently and cannot begin to tell you the positive difference it made in handling. This on a 5yr old car and already decent handling.
Then got #86 back ( with GR2 and front Ebo springs cut ) and it feels like total crap. Dampening rates on the GR2's, especially rebound, are not suited to the increased spring tension. Gonna go full Bilstein on the G ride sometime soon and will report back.
And yes I have spent time in EVO's and owned/own two Scoobies. Love the "refinement" of the newer vehicles yet still come back to the GVR4 when I just wanna DRIVE.

If you can afford an EVO, there is no reason to consider a VR4. Its like comparing a Corvette to a Moped.

3rdstrikedsm

Pretty much sums it up right there^

3rdstrikedsm

Quoting donniekak:
Quoting 3rdstrikedsm:
Umm not so much^^ You can get a stock turbo evo deep in the 11's with a tune exhaust and intake so if you go with an e-bay 3in tbe cheap intake and tune it your self you could do it for less than 500.00 so there is no way you can do that with the gvr4 or a dsm.

Evo is leaps and bounds better than the gvr4 but it is also over a decade and a half new as well.

Galant vr4 is a classic type of car now with some super old school technology but it has it's place in the history books and not to many clean examples left anymore.

I can get a dsm into the 11's for around $3,000, including buying the car.

Maybe twice if you are lucky but this is repeatable many many times over in an evo without worring that the drivline is going to go south during a 6k launch /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Quoting TREVTEC:
If you can afford an EVO, there is no reason to consider a VR4. Its like comparing a Corvette to a Moped.

Dumbest sh*t I have ever heard.

If you can buy a c6 Z06 there is no reason to buy a 69 Stingray. The newer car out performs the older one so the older cars are now irrelevant. Some people buy these cars for the history and style.

This thread has come up so many times over the years and it comes down to "If you have to ask then a VR4 is not for you"

charmcity

^ This absolutly was not the purpose of the thread, I was trying to get a comparison on a vehicle in which I have never driven. Could I get an EVO yes...Tommorrow If I really wanted one but I dont like payments on things that lose value as much as cars do, and im looking forward to sneeking up on people in the GVR4.

I know the topic has somewhat strayed from my original question but I love peoples opinions and stories, This is what the forum is about. If you are tired of these threads then just ignore them as there are plenty of people who still like to disscuss the same topic again.

Not trying to put anyone down just no point complaining if you dont have to be involved.

I guess you should borrow somebody's running GVR4 and then drive it and see if you like it first?

Boostdtalon

I've owned an Evo 8 MR and I absolutely loved the car. It was a great car, but I have always had such a deep fascination with the Galant VR-4's. They were my whole reason behind getting into a Mitsubishi's in the first place. If my opinion tells you anything. I was the second owner of my Evo behind this 45 year old man. I met him so i know it wasn't BS from the salesmen. I had a awesome time driving and racing that car. But the feeling that I get when i get in my beat up Galant with a huge list of issues and things to fix is something I can't explain. I have brought mine back from the dead when I'm sure most people would have gotten rid of it for not wanting to get into fixing electrical problems.

Another funny thing. I have a friend who has been a fan of the Evos for quite sometime. He just recently bought a Evo X, the day he brought it to his parents was also the first time he saw my car running. What does he do as soon as I get there; he asks if he can take mine down to road. I about fell over as he hasn't owned his Evo for 48 hours and he's wanting to drive my car.

You can't deny when driving an Evo how far they've come along and with the 7-9 Mitsu perfected the 4G63T. I will say i wish my Galant had the handling of my Evo, but thats mainly cause I am tired of not having power steering. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/idea.gif

evo8ya

Quoting crankwalk:
I guess you should borrow somebody's running GVR4 and then drive it and see if you like it first?

Right, You can take mine for a spin Charm, sorry man don't remember your name.
And yeah somehow people are trying to explain why the evo is faster. Well no sh*t... most evo's are faster than most galants. The evo's have only had 20+ years to evolve to what they are today. My evo killed 807 in every department but there's just something about the galants. Not all people are trying to go 10's on a Wendy's budget. For some people it's just about the drive. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

cheekychimp

Quote:
For some people it's just about the drive. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Amen to that.

Quoting crankwalk:
Quoting TREVTEC:

Dumbest sh*t I have ever heard.

If you can buy a c6 Z06 there is no reason to buy a 69 Stingray. The newer car out performs the older one so the older cars are now irrelevant. Some people buy these cars for the history and style.

This thread has come up so many times over the years and it comes down to "If you have to ask then a VR4 is not for you"

I lubs crankwalk. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

i've driven a 1G, 2G, 3g evo3, evo5, evo8, and evo 10. out of all of these the GVR4 is the most comfortable to drive, cheapest, and most easily modded. break something on a evo X what do you think it will cost? probably as much as it cost you to mod it. any of the DSM are great. they are becoming beaters but they are still great cars and if set up right can keep up with newer cars without much effort.

charmcity

Thanks evo8 I will take you up on that offer.... I never expected the two to compare but I figure that GVR4 was atleast better then most which it sounds like it is. The name is Aharon by the way

broxma

I have come up with the best analogy to explain this that I can think of.

I have a 2003 Evo 8 and a 1992 GVR4 in my driveway right now. Both keys to each car are on my keyring. Everyday I wake up, I have a choice in which car I want to drive. I am yet to hop behind the wheel of the Evo.

This question transcends ideas such as "better" or "capable". Both cars are metaphors, but each for something unique onto themselves. The meaning and definition of the metaphor is expanded and increased with the personal connection you have to each, just as it is with many abstract ideas. I have invested in my GVR4. Invested my time, my money, my planning, my imagination, my idea of what it could be in its perfect state, its perfect state to me, the perfect metaphor. The Evo at this point, is just a car.

On that note, I told my wife tonight, I am selling my Evo. It no longer moves me.

/brox

cheekychimp

^ It's only a shell anyway right?

I mean you stole it's ECU, it's valves, springs, cams, turbo, suspension ...

Edit: Wheels, brakes, MAS ...

Last edited:

cheekychimp

Nah I'm just playing with him /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I didn't really think all the EVO bits on the Galant came off 'his' EVO VIII

It just kind of struck me as funny. Here's Brox telling us about the differences between the GVR4 and the EVO and yet technically his car is a half breed ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned