The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Anyone know?

AllanL

14Bs and 16G comp covers will need to be machined to fit the 20G wheel. click

the back side of aftermarket 20G covers can be tapped for the mounting holes of the WGA...

fuel

You can just buy TD05H style housings designed for the 20G wheel new, of course they are aftermarket chinese knock-offs but they look good and do the job fine. The compressor inlet is enlarged slightly too so it's not dangerously thin like when you machine a 14B or 16G housing.

IMG_3834.jpg

prove_it

Quoting jeverts:
Do you have a good Turbine housing?

Yes, highly ported 7cm EVO 3 housing. Polished to a mirror with a perfect blend to the evo 3 O2 housing.

Yep, the billet wheels are reported to have minimal gains over the cast wheels. Not worth it in my opinion. Research has also shown to me that the extended tips don't do as much either, plus they supposedly eating the bearings as there is way more weight moved too far out.

Been thinking about buying a new turbine wheel and having it clipped too.

Anyone know how to spot a knock off center section? I got one, but can't tell if it's fake or not.

swe_gvr4_1991

I have a chinabay 16G center section. The standard MHI rebuild kit does not fit.
Bearings of the chinabay CHRA are bigger. Almost the size of a Garrett CHRA.

prove_it

Any measurements? I got one in a pile and if it's a mitsu center section then all I need is a wheel and rebuild kit. It's got a 20g base circle.

prove_it

Well, just made my life easier. Found a junk 16g on ebay. Won the auction for 80 shipped. Looks like a 420 serial number, which should be a 68mm exducer. Haha, no machining needed. Just a wheel and rebuild kit now.

fuel

that's the exact turbo my Evolution VR-4 had from factory, and all I did was fit a 20G wheel with the matched housing and had it balanced with a 7deg cut on the turbine wheel.

prove_it

Been thinking about clipping the turbing as well. Justin on tooners has made comments that it doesn't really help that much, is this true? I know spool is slowed, but no concern there.

AllanL

Even EvoX's in Japan clip it with a 20G (?) compressor... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif

Last edited:

fuel

I didn't notice much difference in spool to be honest, perhaps 100-300rpms depending on which gear you're in. But the extra mid-range and top end punch were well worth it!

prove_it

Not sure on clipping anymore. Found a 9 blade td05 turbine wheel no. I think that would outflow a clipped wheel. Been researching and running math on possibly opening up the turbine housing and changing the A/R ratio some to allow more flow.

swe_gvr4_1991

The exhaust housing on chinabay 16G are bigger than a MHI unit and flow better. A/R is around 0.7 if memory serves me right.
It's almost a direct swap. The guide pin needs to be filed thinner. That's it. Bolts right up.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned