The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

anyone have a how to on Projector Retrofits yet?

dustyduff

You'd want to use the 93' glass lenses. The 91' lenses are fluted plastic and will disperse the light from the projectors. From my understanding, Curtis recommends using the backplates from the 91-92 headlights and the glass from the 93' lights.

curtis

PITA is an understatement when doing these. You have to first take them apart and clean everything thats a few hours then you have to bake one at a time. Usually 2 hours per light because by the time you get them separated the glue starts to set up again and you have to scrape out the track then the glass lens as well and can't do both at the same time. Then you have to clean all the paint off the glass and tape up the lenses for new paint then there's the projector mounting. Sometimes some are easier than others but they have to be hard mounted as well as aimed correctly and also the focal point/bulb depth has to be spot on. Then after you have them all hard mounted its time to tear back apart and paint then reseal, then time to dry then paint the glass and put the steel mounting plate back on. If these were made more like the diamante or the 2G lights they would have a large rubber cup that locks on the back and would give some room to work but our lights are super shallow.

Its just a long week of messing around and having a super clean work area and it you get ticked and throw tools around at the first sign of problems this isn't a mod for you.

Also then there's price
4 HID bulbs with ballasts unless you just want to use factory bulbs, then a set of 93 lights to use just the lens, 91/92 lights for the backplates, which ever light assemblies you can score from a junkyard for the projectors, paint, sealer, hardware etc if you do it yourself then labor and shipping if you have someone do it. You could easily hit 700 to 1000 to make a set.
Susquhanna (spelling) motorsports also has projectors as well as hours of looking on ebay might find a cheap set. I've seen people sell off acura projectors thats already removed for cheap you just have to hunt around.

Last edited:

GSX_TC

I def wanna do this. I dont mind spending 1000+ dollars on doing this, as long as its done right. but would it be ok if i had them retro fit some TSX or S2000 projectors into my JDM housings. i really dont like the look of the 93's or even the USDM 91's.

Last edited:

QnzMostWanted

check out the packages for the mini D2S or the Mini H1's off theretrofitsource.com

they are shallow HID projectors designed to fit into shallow headlights....they arent that expensive and bolt up to the stock bulb socket so u can use ur stock adjusters

GSX_TC

sweet, yeah i saw how they do that when i was checking out all the retrofits they did on peoples cars. they pick whatever the correct size projector will fit based on your size and shape of housing. in fact that reminds me let me go ahead and give them a call right now.

QnzMostWanted

click
$120 without the HID's

</font><blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr />
What makes the MH1 4.1 from TRS better than ever? beefier solenoid inputs, better ground lock-ring threads, a machined (not cast) lock-ring, an improved reflector bowl coating, Morimoto Logo cast into the body, black cutoff shields, blocked squirrel finders, and a revised front lens frame which removes the "halo" from the beam pattern.

Easily one of the most popular products we've ever come out with for their awesome ease of installation relative to the amount of performance they produce, its Mini Madness!

With their pre-installed clear lens and curved cutoff shield – the Mini H1's will literally perform on par with other popular full size projectors. Their beam is wide, uniformly lit, and intense all the way to the edges. Their cutoff line is sharp and colorful, and their high beam pattern provides plenty of additional light.

These projectors are perfect for those seeking the easiest possible installation with little compromise in performance. Compared to the D2S version, the H1's are smaller and more widely applicable to H7, 9006, H11, 9007, H13 headlights.

Disassemble headlights, insert threaded mounting shaft of the Mini H1 through the pre-existing hole in the back of your reflector bucket, tighten the stack with the included hardware, and you're virtually done. (instructions available)

Upon arrival to our shop, each Morimoto projector is individually tested and hand-tuned to perfection to ensure nothing but perfection. Spend a few bucks less with other sellers on eBay and get the units we turned down. You want 'em for cheap? Just ask! they're in the corner of our shop in the reject pile.

Bonus: when you order full size shrouds shrouds with your Mini's, you'll get our new shroud adapter rings for a easy clip-on mount. (note: these projectors come standard with Mini Graphite or Mini Gatling shrouds, which will screw on)

Interested in buying bulk? We support small group-buys, and also offer general wholesale and drop-shipping services.

Buy from the company with the Internets best reputation for unbeatable prices and killer customer service. The Retrofit Source Inc. is trusted by car guys world-wide, and if you find a better price elsewhere, we'll match it.

If you have any questions related to this product or would like to get a bundle price quote on them along with some other components – contact us today.

<hr /></blockquote><font class="post">

click
$270 with HID's, ballasts, angel eyes different shrouds, and wiring relay for ur specific OEM bulb type

to be honest, for a more direct plug and play retrofit, the price isnt bad

GSX_TC

wish they would answer their phone, really wanna ask them about all this.

QnzMostWanted

try emailing them, or posting on their forum, they seem to respond quicker there

GSX_TC

nah i'd rather ask them all this over the phone, seems easier to explain myself. I'll just try again tomorrow morning hopefully it wont just go straight to voicemail like it has been so far. (fingers crossed)

dustyduff

The retrofitsource will sell you the projectors, but won't do the retro. You'll need some measurements for them to tell you which projectors will fit. The mh1's are probably your best bet.

Actually, you should just sign up for hidplanet. Those guys can help you along the way. If you think these guys are bad, post you headlight pic over there and they'll rip you a new asshole. LoL

Last edited:

GSX_TC

oh ok so the TRS cant actually do it then? so who are the guys that actually do the retrofit?

turbowop

Quoting QnzMostWanted:

click
$270 with HID's, ballasts, angel eyes different shrouds, and wiring relay for ur specific OEM bulb type

to be honest, for a more direct plug and play retrofit, the price isnt bad

I've been waiting for a set like this to come out. Way simpler. Just bolts in to the factory housings after removing the glass from the housing? I'm sold. Maybe next spring I'll put a set of these together with my 93's. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rock.gif

Last edited:

GSX_TC

Quoting QnzMostWanted:
no, but they have people on that site who can do it for you....check the link click

thanks man, i went ahead and sent a few detailed emails to all 3 of those companies

turbowop

If all you are required to do is separate the glass from the housing, then install the kit, just do it yourself. It's simple.

QnzMostWanted

upon further reading on their site, they actually sell sets thru retailers on ebay ones that didnt pass their "premium" inspections, so if ur on a budget, u can find the mini h1's for 70 a pair

dustyduff

Quoting turbowop:
Just bolts in to the factory housings after removing the glass from the housing? I'm sold.

That was the intent for their design, to make a more compact projector that wouldn't require signifcant cutting of the headlight to fit like tsx/tl and some of other larger projectors. Headlight depth still plays a factor and it may not be plug and play depending on the application. Anyone have a headlight pulled apart to give some dimensions? The measurements for the mh1 can be found on TRS's website.

QnzMostWanted

i've seen people on TRS make new clear lenses out of lexan, and they look great, if depth is an issue, u can always make a more "bubbled" front to make them fit...just a thought

tsitalon1

Quoting QnzMostWanted:
i've seen people on TRS make new clear lenses out of lexan, and they look great, if depth is an issue, u can always make a more "bubbled" front to make them fit...just a thought

Now that is intresting, I wonder what the cost in this is...

I was planing on sourcing some 93's for the clear lenses, but this might be a more cost effective option. Is anyone making these for our cars?

I would myself but I have zero experience in lexan.

QnzMostWanted

edit: i meant acrylic not lexan, tho some have used lexan

check this out for lens forming:

click

would help to learn and re-sell, not a bad thing since all other headlights are easier to find than the 93's...

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned