The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Anti lock light after low fluid- turn off?

gijoe985

So, I got my galant a half year ago. I've bee busy getting her on the road and now after driving her for a few miles my anti lock light came on. I checked and my fluid was low. I refilled the master cylinder. Will I need to bleed the brakes to get it to turn off? I drove it for a few days before it came on. If not that, what should I check?

mitsuturbo

Brakes are a sealed system. You should NEVER need to add fluid unless you're bleeding the brakes or there is a leak.

First, check your pads. If they need replaced, your fluid will be low because it will be in the caliper rather than the reservoir.
Second, check for leaks. Check at the master cylinder first, both inside the cabin and at the booster, then work your way through the system.

If it was low enough you got air in the system, you should feel it in the pedal.

ABS in these cars really sucks. I've had 2 91 VR4s that it worked fine in, which is somewhat rare, actually. I kept it because it worked, and i never encountered any problems with it. It actually saved my butt a couple of times. I've had others where it never did work and i couldn't figure out why, even with the MUT. I suspect it was the ABS unit. Most of us either ditch that unit completely or disable ABS somehow.

gijoe985

Well I have not noticed a difference in the braking. I assume if I look around I can find the diagnosis procedure for the ABS.

mitsuturbo

ABS will output codes, but in my experience they're not always helpful.
Fetching the ABS codes requires use of an analog voltmeter, but i don't remember the details for the pins in the DLC port or what position the key is supposed to be in. I know Mitchell or Alldata has the procedure documented. I'm not sure if the FSM does or not.

First thing's first though. Don't worry about the ABS until you figure out WHY your brake fluid was low. Ignoring such a thing could easily place yourself and others at great peril.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned