The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Alternative Bov Vacuum source?

sixsixtwo

Just looking for some clarification here. I have been experiencing some bov flutter and I KNOW that there are numerous threads dealing with bovs, but none that pertain to my specific situation. I know that the ideal place to tap for the bov would be the left vacuum port on the intake manifold. However, I don't have this left port on my manifold! I originally had it set up to where the one manifold source i had was tapped to the bov, fpr, AND the boost gauge. I'm thinking that this is way too many things to be hooked up to one port. I hooked up the bov straight to the p port this afternoon, and it seems like this helped a little. HOWEVER, I know that this "p" port is supposed to be a weak source also. What is the best thing way for the bov to get a strong vacuum signal, seeing as I don't have that left vacuum port on the intake manifold?

mikus

it's got to be after the TB, leaving "P" and the intake mani. "P" is an IM source but doesn't flow as much as the largest (generally leftmost when facing) intake mani port. I'd tree out the other sources to something else to free up the largest IM port for the BOV.

Don't put it off too long, your turbo will thank you for it

EDIT: post your BOV and intake manifold make for addtl input?

Last edited:

atc250r

Staff member
I tried using the "P" port for my BOV years ago and I had the same fluttering problem as you did. While the nipple on the TB might seem like it'd be big enough, that passage goes down to a very small hole by the time it reaches the intake side of the TB. I wouldn't use it for anything anymore.

John

sixsixtwo

The bov has done fine today hooked up to the P port. But I understand that it is not the best source. Where do you suggest I tap the bov then? Back into the vacuum port with the fpr and boost gauge?

ktmrider

Did you do a bunch of mods to the IM, ie porting, polishing, EGR delete, etc? If not you can pick up 1g mani's all day long for $20 or less, may be something to consider...

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts