The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

All Stock and No Clue

I recently purchased a GVR4 and I am not sure where to start
when building my motor. I am considering buying a separate motor
and completely building it and the tranny before install.

Where would be the best place for Good TUFF parts.

If there is a seasoned GVR4 owner that doesn't mind answering a few questions here and there
let me know.

CarRacer

What are you plans for the duties of the car? Daily driver, weekend car, track car?

I'd say that some ring and bearings, 2G pistons on 1G rods, and a mls gasket with a resurfaced head and block, along with some arp headstuds, new timing components and having the head freshened up(valves lapped, new guides, and seals) would be a good start.

I purchased a lot of my engine parts via partsdinosaur.com and was extremely happy with the service and price.

toybreaker

iconoclast
Quote:
I recently purchased a GVR4 and I am not sure where to start
when building my motor. I am considering buying a separate motor
and completely building it and the tranny before install.

Good plan. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Quote:
Where would be the best place for Good TUFF parts.

What are your power goals?

Many of us buy from JNZ , and we've got an excellent local dealer.

Quote:
If there is a seasoned GVR4 owner that doesn't mind answering a few questions here and there
let me know.

I wouldn't say I'm very knowledgable, but I can try and answer your questions.

Welcome to the board. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

DR1665

Smart plan on building a trick setup on the side and swapping it all in at once. That said, what are your goals for the car? If you're not looking to go balls-out with some 600awhp time attack weekend warrior, you might be able to have a lot of fun for a lot less than you'd spend building an engine.

[Realistic] Goals first. Maintenance second. Mods third. :thumbsup

All great responses from seasoned gvr4 owners /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif

are you familiar with the 4G63 engine? if not, you will be. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif
good luck on whatever you decide for your ride.

but yeah, set yourself a goal for the car, maintain the vehicle while upgrading at the same time (bushings, suspension, brakes, motor mounts, etc..)
pending on your specific vehicle you could easily get 350hp without spending a whole lot of money in the engine and still have a lot of fun.

I wish I would have kept mine stock after the fact. Consider that a bone stock GVR-4 is even more rare than a modded GVR-4. Good luck and Welcome.

Why the motor rebuild? Have you checked the compression? The stock motor is very stout, so don't think you need to rebuild it to make more power, like a Honda. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Well guys I want to say thanks for all the input. THANKS!!

I have realized that it needs interior work and paint, So I am gonna start there.
it's previous owner made a huge mistake by redoing the carpet. I will snap a few pictures
of the nightmare. it is hands down the worst interior job i have ever seen, to top it all off
it is crimson red twill.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

Quote:
it is crimson red twill....

hey at least it isn't some green indoor/outdoor carpet that you find at a miniature golf course. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

mistaVR4

Welcome to the board man! Good to have ya. Do you have any pictures of the new GVR4 to share?

-Steve

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned