The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Adjustable Rear control arms

Awhile back someone posted a list of all the parts needed to build your own adjustable rear upper control arm. I was wondering if anyone has done it yet? A few people said they had the parts but I haven't been able to find a post of someone saying all the parts are the right ones. I'm ready to do this, but I want to make sure I get everything I need and that it fits.

I built a set a few months ago with parts from AFCO. I will try to dig up some part numbers tonight.

JNR

That'd be great...I am thinking about 'making' a set for myself, as I'm tired of those crooked wheels in the back /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

JNR

Here's the one I was thinking about: Adjustable Rear Arms

I'd like to hear some feedback, if anybody has it, as I'm really thinking about doing this soon (by end of summer)....

Afco Racing part #:

19514 swaged steel tube 14" threaded (x2) $15.60ea
30211 tie rod end LH $15.50
30212 tie rod end RH $15.50
10420 rod end 3/4in RH $11.85
10421 rod end 3/4in LH $11.85
20023k rod end/bushing kit 3/4" lower (x2) $17.85ea
10140 jam nut 3/4" RH (x2) $0.95ea
10141 jam nut 3/4" LH (x2) $0.95ea

I ordered the parts listed in the first thread hoping that everything would fit. The only thing I added were the jam nuts.
I ended up with 2 extra rod ends with standard thread that came with the bushing kits and 2 extra jam nuts (they came with the standard thread rod ends). You could go with 2 reverse thread tie rod ends and 2 #20023k rod end/bushing kits and cut down the cost. I also had to cut the aluminum bushings to fit. Overall, they fit great and have more adjustment then ever necessary. I was worried about clearance since they are completely straight, but I have had no problems. They have been on my car for 500 miles now. My car has KYB GR-2's, 1g Eibach pro-kit springs, 2g upper rear strut mounts, and 17" rims with 215/45 tires. And by the way, the roads in Memphis are terrible, dime2nr can attest to that.

JNR

Thanks for the info...I'm glad to hear that it works well and has so much adjustment (that's gotta be hell on some of the parts on launches and stuff, with the tire al cock-eyed like mine is)...

Time to start shopping!

btw, you have any pics, by chance?

Last edited by a moderator:

I just installed some of these sort of items on a TT Stealth. Funny thing about that.. the upper rear control arms are exactly the same size as those on my GVR4s.

He got them for like 150 shipped. Real nice units.

They sell for a bit more on 3sx, but i just thought i'd let you guys know they are indeed.. the same item for 3k VR4 AND Galant VR4.

JNR

Cool...Thanks alot! That looks pretty good and I'm sure much beefier than the stock unit, plus with the added benefit of so much adjustment...

When you say you used the OEM washer, is that a cambolt-type washer (for factory adjustment)? I don't think we have this problem on the Galants, but when I changed my Control Arms to adjustable on the Jeep, I ended up making a plate to eliminate the washer, because it seemed like it kept loosening, no matter how tight I got the nut down, due to the slotted hole/cambolt...Like I said, I doubt this will be the case on these, since the Control Arms on Jeep are parallel to the body, instead of perpendicular, like on independent types...you can imagine then how it would keep loosening on my Jeep, being in the same direction as movement, if that makes sense...

Anyhow, here are those plates I made, fwiw:

PS - those look like nice wheels; let's see the rest of the car, he he /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

about the ingalls... ALOT of the owners have been bending them due to not being installed right... and depending how hard you are on your car these arms really aernt the strongest either.. i had a pair of them and they bent my second week beating the car in the country.. and they were on there right to.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts