The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

A/C switch

BoostedAWD91

Im going to be running 2 10" fans here shortly and i always thought a nice clean way of running them with a switch would be to use the A/C switch. Since it has two stages to it, i wanted to use the 1st part to run 1 fan and the 2nd part to run both fans. Has anyone used this switch for something like that? Im guessing a different terminal gets power for each stage of the switch? I would think that switch could handle two fans

Terry Posten

That switch wont handle 1 fan.

You will need to use a relay to control the high current draw of a fan or two. Wire the coil side of the relays to the dual switch and then let the relay take the load. Get 30amp relays and fuse both power feeds. Fans can draw serious power.

BoostedAWD91

thanks terry. how many amps can that switch candle? each fan draws 8amps if i remember correctly.

Struc

Even in the stock configuration, the switch only activates a relay. It's REALLY not hard to wire a relay in - I would absolutely take that advise.

Here is a link to a $6 relay and wiring harness: click

Terry Posten

Fans may draw 8 amps running but they can spike to 30+ amps at start-up and as the temp gets hotter and the fans get older, they will draw more.

I have seen fans draw well over 30 amps.

BoostedAWD91

i planned on using a relay, maybe ill just keep the one switch i have already installed for the one fan and when i add the other fan ill just use the eco/power switch or a/c to control the other.
thanks for the help

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts