The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

'93 headlight reflector peeling fix

atc250r

Staff member
IIRC, you can take the tail/brake socket out of a 1G DSM and make the corner lights work as both the signal and parking light. The low power (parking) filament is not powerful enough to melt the lens and the high power (signal) is not on long enough to melt the lens since it blinks. The single bulb corners I put in #1552 originally came with a dual filament set up from the factory but I switched over to the single filament set up since I had a USDM bumper at the time. Unfortunately I don't know if I saved those sockets so I'm going to go the 1G socket route. I'm pretty sure that gtluke has definitive info on this.

John

gtluke

yup 1GB parking/blinker lights work fine.
it's a generic socket, you can get it from any car pretty much. I think one of my sockets came from an acura, whatever i found at the junkyard. Sometimes you have to trim the little keyed tabs.
you can also get the amber ones right from that company that makes all the stock replacement lights for auto body shops. I forget the name, TCY? something 3 letters I think.
That's where mine came from.

430884804_NztxT-L.jpg

atc250r

Staff member
So from the front of a 1G?

gtluke

Yeah, probably the back too, aren't those dual filament? pretty much all dual filament bulbs use that socket. Sometimes the key is slightly different but I just razored one extra wide one to the size of the key in the light. Took 2 minutes.

atc250r

Staff member
Ah, OK. The socket that the bulb fits into is the same for all of them but the connector can be different as can the configuration of where the assembly fits into the light housing.

John

G

Staff member
This will clean up that pitting > click This really does work. I used this to clean mine up before installing lamin-x.

turbowop

Are you sure it works on glass though?

Quote:
Brings optical clarity to acrylics and polycarbonates

Glass is pretty hard to polish out, compared to plastic.

Hertz

Staff member
I just finished mine... I had reduced about 3 sets of lights down to 2 93s. Took the best adjusters, bolts, screws, vent tubes, baskets, etc.

I've never liked the asymmetrical look of just the painted top, so I paint mine all the way around.

Also been bugged by the corner lights appearing to taller than the headlights because of the black paint, so I painted eyelids on mine. We'll see in a couple weeks how it looks on a car.

Sorry about the cell phone at night pic.

turbowop

Looks good, Hertz. Good idea on the corner light eyelid as well. I noticed they're taller than the headlights, but once on the car it's hard to see that unless you're really looking.

I should have taken pics of the '93 lights I got from Jepherz. Even though they were in good condition, I still redid the black on the glass as well as repainting all the bracketry, etc. Makes them way nicer redoing everything.

Hertz

Staff member
I realized today that my pass side is flaking. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif I do have a broken spare which if I get really bored I will bake them both and swap reflectors. At this point it seems like a waste of time considering I don't have a motor yet. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Oh, and I just spent umpteen hours on this one.

Beyond that, I guess blacking out might be the next option... unless we get really psycho and find a place that will refinish them.

turbowop

I would just replace the reflector with your spare. I didn't mind using these to test the paint fix trick and pulling them apart since the lenses are so peppered, but it worked. It's just a huge bitch trying to mask off the reflector.

turbowop

Aligned the lights and drove around a bit tonight. Still have great light output. I don't notice a difference between these and the pair in 1051. Success! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned