The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

90 galant gsx 1/2 cylinders no comp? FIXED

Wizardawd

Since it is 2 adjoining cylinders, could be a head gasket. Usually it won't bend just a couple valves at speed. All the valves will smack.

And since it wasn't mentioned. Check timing belt alignment. Out of 30+ DSMs I picked up from people, if the CAS was cranked a lot on the advanced side, it was because they had the intake cam off one tooth and tried to compensate by advancing the timing to smooth it out. And a bad alignment also lead to finding bad hydraulic timing adjuster (gotta compress it slow or it ruins it- if you can compress it with your thumb, it's no good)) which caused the timing belts to jump time eventually. Bad work equals bad results.

Wiz

Last edited:

MellowVR4

This makes total sense, the CAS was out of wack when i checked it, so that is a very good possibility. Thanks man ^

MellowVR4

UPDATE: I took my head off yesterday and found my problem, Two valves where burnt. What could cause this to happen, just from old age? knock? anyway im getting a valve job done to it, hopefully get it runing by the weekend.
Any help on why this happend would be appreciated thanks.

EHmotorsports

Running lean, incorrect timing, poor quality gas for a good amount of time.

Last edited:

MellowVR4

might be the incorrect timing, P/O might of been messing with the timing to componsate for the bad idle. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

MellowVR4

Heres a picture of the mess

fuel

is interesting they both went at the same time! unless one got burnt and the low compression on one cylinder wasn't enough to notice until the other went bad.

MellowVR4

yea its odd, but pistons looks fine, so hopefully its all good when i put her back together.

MellowVR4

Does anyone know if the non turbo 4g63 engines came with knock sensor?? I was looking and i dont see one on there. Also dont see a plug on the harness where its supposed to be? i guess it would make sense if it never came with one considering its not a turbo engine, But i can swear that all the 4g's ive seen at a junkyards have it on them? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

MellowVR4

sorry guys, just found the answer to my own question. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

MellowVR4

Update: got my head back from the machine shop today. I asked the machine shop guy if he bleed the lifters, and he said he just had them in oil and when he put them back in the head along with the cams and all the other parts, he said that all the valves where open, when he got back to the shop on monday he said that now valves are closed, does this mean i dont have to bleed them? does this mean they bleed them selfs?

prove_it

I'm not sure, but I've always bled mine before installing. Not worth the risk IMO.

MellowVR4

me too, but idk if these are good to go, maybe i should just take them out and bleed them /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Anyone else have an opinion

fuel

it sounds like they have bled themselves.

MellowVR4

idk, im just bleed them /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

MellowVR4

Got her back together, puurrs like a kitten. 155-153 psi on all four cylinders.

New timing belt
New gernade
New tensioner pulley
New idler
New water pump
New headgasket set
New valve seals
New cam seals
2 New valves
Machined the head
Clean up some old ngk wires
New ngk plugs

prove_it

At first I was going to ask what manifold that is. Then I saw the intake. LOL

MellowVR4

Yea no turbo on this one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

prove_it

I always wanted to take a 2.4L with the sohc head and swap a dohc head on the block and set it up for e85, use some 1g turbo rods and pistons, and evo cams and drop into a GGSX. Should give it about 12.5-14:1 compression with a 2.4L all motor.

That would be fun.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned