The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

488/2000 Rescued- The build begins.

Yeah sold the cage kinda cheap, but I needed the money and it went to a good home. Considering those cages are like $800-$1400+ shipping from Cusco. I was happy to offset some of the cost of dragging her home. I dug myself a hole financially to get her, but she's mine and out of the hole. Not standing on top of the mountain, but I'm out of the hole.

how the f*** am i scam artist because i got robbed? this is insane. yes i owe people money because my sh*t got robbed but how does it make me a scam artist? i am also in a very large lawsuit for getting falsley evicted on the same day and peoples sh*t came up missing AFTER they locked it up AFTER evicting me and it was locked up with a padlock that only the guys from the mechanic shop in front of me had a key for and a TON of sh*t is missing.. so please.. explain how the f*** am i scam artist? because a post on rx7 club from 5 years ago says so? notice that the people who made the post originally never posted again? PAID IN FULL so eat dick.

glad to see everything is working out on the 488 tho. take care of her i wanted to build her so bad.

thats another thing to think about if i were such a scam artist taking money why wouldnt my vr4 have been built and why would i sell it for 300?

Well I'd say the arrest for theft in hillsboro is a pretty good argument. I'd say having like 20 different people in different states pissed at you for scamming them would be another good argument. I don't feel like I got scammed, but then again I still don't have a title, front bumper, transmission, or any paperwork to get ahold of the previous owners, the one email address you gave me was a complete dead end. You seem nice enough, but I suppose a good con art would. I spoke to the detective in Yakima. From what he has figured out from his investigation is that YOU took alot of other people's money for parts, then staged a break-in to account for the lost "parts" and now you are probably going to go to jail for theft, fraud and all kinds of crap. Sounds like a scam artist to me. There were people complaining on the RX7 forum right up until recently, thats how I found it.
I don't know you well enough to take your word for anything, your name in the streets isn't good. You want a +1 for rep? You want me to stand up and say you're a solid dude? Get me a bumper and paperwork. The transmission would be nice too. When I drove 7 hrs you never said anything about not having a bumper. $300? Your math is off. Last we spoke you agreed the $400 I paid was fair, and I still maintained that I would pay you more if/when my bumper and transmission materialized. So you know it was $400, not $300.
Follow through and I'll be a great reference for ya.
Yes it is in good hands, although nothing is getting built until I get a title in hand. This is a build thread. If you want a drama thread start a new one.

Anyhow, more slow progress, I was stoked when I came home from the boneyard before I dealt with the above drama... I got a #482 3g maf off a Montero, as well as some other misc stuff. I also bought a 1g-3g adapter harness from 1uGlyGalaNt, decided to keep the AFPR. Picking up an Evo IC this weekend, my buddy in Methford has some 560s and a 2g downpipe.

It was pretty dusty and dirty

Gave it a good clean up with this:

Also picked up a ECT/PWR switch. Along with the cupholder I got on the last trip these will probably find their way into the for sale section, every penny counts. I've also picked up a few 2g and 3g maf pigtails. I was going to just make my own adapter harness, its easy enough, but I can't find the 1g side of the plugs. I got a good deal on the one I bought so one less thing I have to deal with.

Well what I got from the CA DMV is less than helpful. Names, no addresses. Going to the dealership today, see if they can help a bit. Anyone have any experience with this stuff? Apparently I can lien it and take ownership, but then I have to auction it. So that sucks. I really hate to see 488 die due to some bureaucratic BS. But at this point it may make a better donor than driver. GRRRRRRRR

mountaineerjeff

sounds like its time for a make over. just do the vin number upgrade from another galant. if its another vr4 then your set, if its just a random galant, youre screwed for resale, but you seem to be in that boat anyway, so you might as well be able to drive it, which is all you want anyway.

not that I would openly condone 'illegal' activity, but the way I see it, if the morals out weigh the law then who tells you whats right or wrong? and I think that it is morally wrong to destroy a piece of history because you dont have a piece of paper that tells 'them' that you own it. especially since 'they' are the reason you cant get your piece of paper.

thats my rant, bash if you want but I think its an easy and simple solution. so your vr4 will have some tattered vin plates, at least it will still be your vr4.

SouthCaliVR4

Well, your welcome to toss it on a trailer & tow it to our shop in vista ca, well lien it & get a title then pop it back over to you. Unfortunately we have to have the car sitting on our property to do this & no auction is required, my boss is currently driving a BMW 740il that got abandoned on us. I'll check & see what he has to say about it but if you're willing to go to that length we can probably sort the title out for you. Not free but not a lot of money, just whatever the paperwork costs & a few bucks for his time. this way at least you'd have a clean title.

If you decide to part her out I'd like first dibs on the keydiver 560/evo mas chip. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I am considering my options, I certainly appreciate the offer SouthCaliVR4. I may have to take you up on it. Sorry to say tho, if I do part it out, I will only be parting out the galant itself, not my motor build. That WILL find a home, even if I just stuff it in my SAMURAI!
You may be right Jeff, and the thought has crossed my mind. I am not going to post in a public forum that I am considering swapping vins or any such thing, however there is a 90 Galant LS with a bad auto trans I got my eye on /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif.... Even if I do go that avenue, I will still continue to pursue the legit VR4 title. If I have to drag a car to CA I may drag the LS chassis with GVR4 vins down? My buddy has a tow yard here that could lien it, but would have to auction it, but if I did it that way, I could make it worthless enough that NO ONE would outbid me, plus if for some reason I did lose it, no biggie. So I'm working on it.
I don't think I will have funding to do anything with it until financial aid comes in next month. My original goal was to get her together before fall term started so my gf could drive it back and forth to school (45 miles each way) but since she is transferring to a closer college that is no longer a concern, she can drive my 4runner and I can drive my Zuk. My new goal is have it on the road before Thanksgiving. I have been suffering from boost withdrawls since I sold my 2g last year.

Last edited by a moderator:

toybreaker

iconoclast
I will personally perma-ban the next stupid ass motherf*r that says they are going to do a vin swap, or even mentions it any way, shape or form.

That's not a threat, that's a promise

There are many legal ways to re-establish a legitimate title.

If you can't be bothered to re-establish a legal title, you do not belong on this board.

end of story

YAAAYYYYYY! Good news, SO stoked. I just got off the phone with the last titled owner of #488. I got his name from the DMV, then with a google search I found a him on Myspace! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif So he is going to file for lost title and help me get her back on the road! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif
Stay tuned. I'm selling my white Samurai, its currently in Craigslist for 3800$ If it sells a fair chunk of that is going into the galant. I will need alot of that to get the red zuk together, but I should be able to get both on the road with that money. Anyone wanna buy a zuk?
pict0081z.jpg

mitsuturbo

That thing looks pretty cool, and i bet it'd do a one-wheel pirouette if you were to do a U-turn and hit the gas. However, i'm not interested in slow vehicles.

Having said that...

The purpose of this post is actually to inform you that if you want a "nice" gvr4, it's probably going to take all $3800 you might get out of the "zuk" and then some. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

Haha, yeah its slow... it crawls... it doesnt pirouette, doesn't even lift a wheel, it flexes... it will drift tho haha.
Thanks for the information, but I realize what money pits Mitubishis are. I'm just trying to get it on the road. Rome wasn't built in a day. This poor car needs alot. It needs paint and bodywork bad. Eventually I would like to run E316g, so I expect to have roughly 10k into it by the time its "done". Not including the 5k in stereo I have already thats going in.

mitsuturbo

Maybe i'm a driving purist, but i think a decent car should have a decent stereo ONLY for long, constant speed, road trips.

Paint and bodywork come last, imo.

Yeah, I'm a bit of an audiophile, and this is going to be my daily driver/roadtrip car. I do spend alot of time on long trips, but I just love my music at earbleeding volumes, yet crystal clear. I can't do that at home, someone would complain. Music makes driving better. Sure alot of times I'll just listen to my exhaust and bov, but I have heard concerts that didn't sound as good as my stereo.

Update. I'm excited. I sold my Samurai, which gives me some cash to throw at the vr4. Title is basically in the mail at this point, and I just bought a new pair of HKS 264s for less than one usually is /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif and a Fidanza flywheel that is almost new, just a couple of dyno pulls. Next is some valve springs and all my gaskets and seals.
Still debating on the springs. Being a low buck build I am considering continuing the theme of recycling used evo stuff, so I may try to find some evo springs. I figure I can test them and compare the weights on them, and if nothing else I can use the retainers with some aftermarket springs. I have heard they are good to 9k, but I haven't seen much in the way of hard evidence. Is there anyone here running stock cd9a springs on aftermarket cams? I am also debating between the Cometic and Mitsu head gaskets. Leaning toward the Cometic. Picked up a trans from my buddy's parts pile, unknown shape, the previous owner said "2nd gear grinds". So when I drag that home I'll tear it down and give it new brass and whatever else it may need, figure out what spline the center diff output is so I can find a tcase.
SO that leaves:
Bumper
Tcase
Intercooler
piping
clutch
oh and tires (maybe wheels if I can find some cheap)
All the clutches I find that I want are $300+ the Clutchmasters and southbend are looking pretty good. I'm open to suggestions though, just no ACT or Fidanzas.
I'm planning on something sprung hub, either full face, segmented or 6puck.
I'll take lots of pics once I get all of my parts and put the engine together.

broxma

I'm running Evo springs/retainers on 272 Webb's. I wrap out to 8500 easy and could take it to 9K most likely. I had my Evo tuned to wrap out to 9K on stock springs with an HKS 264/272 combo. Stock Evo springs can be had for like 50-100 bucks on EvoM and perfect for a car not looking to bounce north of 10K.

/brox

Nice, just what I wanted to hear. Thanks Brox. I was looking on EvoM earlier. I'll keep my eye out, if anyone else has a line on some let me know.

Found some evo springs, retainers and seats for 60$ shipped. I couldn't ask for a better low buck cam upgrade. $265 for two new HKS, and $60 for springs. Sure its money I could have spent on things I NEED like a clutch, head gasket, t-belt etc. But I really wanted HKS 264s, and for this kind of deal, I couldn't pass it up. I think I may go with a OE mitsu Tbelt rather than the gates. I have never had a problem with the OE belts. I would kinda like to give the gates a go but they are double the price.
My current goal is to get her on the road before thanksgiving. The trip back to Cali would be much nicer in the VR4 than the Colt. Especially if there is snow on the passes.
I've been steadily ordering all the little stuff that nickel and dimes a build, bought a lower shores MBC, air filter and adapter, ARP flywheel bolts, fidanza, the cams, a pocket logger, and I picked up a turbo-back crush bent 2.5" 1g exhaust. It was $30, on craigslist, and it was advertised as 3" mandrel. I figured for $30 who cares. So at least I have SOMETHING to mate up to my DP.
Oh and I can't forget. I splurged on a Keyfob.

Last edited by a moderator:

So I decided to buy a complete gasket kit, even though I'm not using the headgasket, its just cheaper and easier than buying everything individually. I like fel-pro's gasket kits, good quality, but trying to stick to the budget. I'd like to go with an OE gasket set. Anyone have a hookup or recommendations on gaskets sets? I plan on running the coated cometic head gasket over the mitsu MLS mainly because the cometic comes in 86mm.

Well little update. Not much to say really. STILL waiting on a title. Anyone near San Jose? Really all I need is a signature from the previous owner! I have sent him the paper work, spoken to him several times. Every time he is really cool, really nice, and says he's going to help. But its been months. I need to either get this thing together or get rid of it. I'm hoping he is just a procrastinator, not jerking me around. If there was someone in San Jose that could get together with him and get this signed and send it back to me I would be SOOO grateful. I would make it worth your while!
I don't want to bail on this project. I have ALOT invested in the motor, and it has to go in something. At this point I'm keeping my eye out for a 1g. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned