The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

409 Latest news...LOL

OK so heres the latest on my poor gvr4. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif
So my car just trys to turn over but doesn't. Well I have a fuel pressure guage right by my fuel filter and when the key is off it reads 0psi and when the key is on it still reads 0psi.
I turn the key on, But I don't here the fuel pump turn on. my question is: Do I now take a volt meter and see if the fuel pump wires have any power going to them? If so how many volts should it be? lets say there are volts going to the fuel pump does that mean the fuel pump is out. If there isn't any volts going to the pump where do I look? is there a fuse that could be out?

Any assistence is appreciated!
Thanks! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

prove_it

Your on the right path. Check for voltage at the pump, you should read Battery voltage (which should be 12V). If you have power, check the ground wires for continuity. If you have power and ground at the pump, then most likely your pump is bad. If you don't have power at the pump, then check any fuses that are related and check your MPI relay and be sure that you hear it click when turn the key on. That relay is the gold box under the glove box bolted on the frame rail that hold the hinges.

Start there and let us know. Also when the key is off and you first turn the key to the on position does the check engine light come on? If so then the computer is still working, if not you may have an ECU issue.

marvinmadman

Fuel pump doesn't kick on until the car is cranking. Galant is not a Honda. Your problem might be something else.

The check engine light and all the warning light come on in the gauge cluster, my apexi safc comes on so I know the ECU is working lol, So the pump will not turn on unless your trying to start the car? What do you guys think of the 0psi at the fuel pressure regulator gauge when the key is turned to the on position? When I get a chance tomorrow I'll check to see if the pump is getting juice lets hope it is so I can get this damn thing running lol.
I really like this site you guys are so informative and quick to help another member out at a moments notice.

409/2000 242WHP 18PSI 92 octane on dynodynamics awd dyno
14.2 in the 1/4 mile
Just want her to run I'm boost deprived /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif

broxma

It would seem reasonable that the pump would be on in the accessory or 'on' position, or whatever position the key falls back into once the car has started. I assume the pump receives power through some sort of relay. This relay would have to be hot during periods of normal operation, which sounds like common sense to me. As I recall my Evo has pressure with the key in the on position. Fortunately, no matter what the problem is it is simply a matter of tracing wires.

/brox

cspetros

Here's a good discussion about how the fuel pump works with regard to key position:

Post link...

Good luck /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned