The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

4-bolt A/T LSD - retaining 4ws

Ralli380Gvr4

I just want to be clear before I get my hands dirty. I'm gonna need to swap the 3-bolt gvr4 ring and pinion into the a/t 4-bolt lsd guts and swap the guts of the 4-bolt lsd icluding axles, cups, etc. into the 4ws housing. Then install the bronze drive gear for the 4ws onto the the 4- bolt diff. Let me know if I've gotten this straight and if theres anything I've missed. Any tips would be apprieciated. Thanks in advance.

Dialcaliper

Sounds right

4-bolt guts + VR-4 drive ring gear + bronze ring
Install in original 3-bolt/4WS case
Use 4 bolt axles/cups

381gvr4

Just completed this swap. The only issue I see is..... A/T 4 bolt has different ratio on ring gear so unless to have a A/T trans swap done, it wont work. The rear ratio will not be compatible with your manual trans. The option would be to swap a MT 4bolt ring gear but at that point, you would be better off finding a MT 4bolt LSD. Hope this helps. You can PM me if you have specific questions.

EDIT: IIRC 3 bolt ring gear will not swap onto 4 bolt diff.

Last edited:

Ralli380Gvr4

click

look at keydivers post, I'm pretty sure it's been done w/o any problems as long as you switch the ring and pinion from the 3-bolt......

Last edited:

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Right. Basically you take just the 4 bolt diff (minus ring and pinion) from the 4bolt rear, and reuse all the rest of the parts from the 3 bolt.

Ralli380Gvr4

Okay good, I got kinda worried there for a sec. Thanks again for the quick responses.

If you are reusing your original 4WS housing, as I did, the pinion isn't even touched. You just need to rob the ring gear off the old 3-bolt diff and install it on the 4-bolt LSD diff. There is a roll pin that holds the brass 4WS pump drive hear onto the diff, so you will need to drive it out to remove the gear and reuse it. I actually bought a new roll pin and brass drive gear, as it was

381gvr4

Sorry for the scare Ethan!!! I could have sworn the 3 bolt gear didn't match. Thanks for the save Jeff.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned