The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

3000GT VR-4

hey, i am a new user to the forum, but i have been a reader for a while. i like the galants (a buddy of mine had one a while back) and was plannin on getting one myself. turns out my brother has decided to sell his 1993 3000gt vr-4, and wants me to have it.

apparently it needs wheels, and spark plugs and it will run great.

so i realize this is not a 3000gt forum, but hell... what am i gettin into?
all opinions and advice are welcome

i love workin on cars and i am ready to make it everything it can be... i have free time and money

Diego

Free time= good
Money= better
3kvgr4+time+money= potentially BA

Have fun those bays are crampped.

I was thinking of a 3k a while back friend of mine has a red 3Kvr4 and letting it go for $5k

^^ That's cheap! What's wrong with it?
One of worst things about a 3kgtvr4 are the tranny's aren't servicable, there sealed units. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

3rdstrikedsm

The trans is in fact serviceable but it is hard to find parts for them via getrag but if you look they are out there.

Diego

I was told that the trans wasn't serviceable........ like it just doesn't come apart like most trans.

belize1334

They're long and heavy so for something like autocross you may be disappointed and, as it turns out, the 4g63t has more ultimate hp potential so for drag racing you're also probably not gonna be very happy ... BUT as a personal fun car to help you get your smile on I say if it runs well then 3.0L twin turbo AWD = HAWT.

OMFGeofffff

All I can say is that if you're nice to them they'll be nice to you. The engine tend to like to spin bearings. My dad specializes in servicing 3kgt/stealths and I can't remember the number of times he's had to rebuild peoples engines due to spun bearings. Otherwise they're very sexy cars and hope to own one one day.

3rdstrike,
The transmissions on them are sealed units, I don't see what and how your servicing them. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Absolutely NOT true. That is what Mitsubishi and Dodge service guys were told, to keep them from trying to fix them. In fact, they are repairable like any other transmission, but the deal Getrag cut with Mitsubishi was that they would ONLY supply complete transmissions, no service parts! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif
Fortunately, things have gotten a little better in the past few years, and my friend that bought my Stealth TT was able to buy synchros and second gear. There are 1 or 2 vendors now specializing in parts for them.
They are very nice cars, but more expensive to maintain than a Galant VR-4, IMO.

Jeff,
Thanks for that bit of knowledge. My info was coming from just that. To me, that's makes more sense than manufacturing a non servicable trans. So this is only taken place in the past couple years? That was the main discouragement for me with these cars.
With only 1or 2 vendors available for these parts, there still pretty much a pain in the ass to service it sounds like.

Last edited by a moderator:

I've had my trans rebuilt twice, and as of yesterday, second time the motor spun a bearing. Fun car, just a heart breaker. look into Kormex, they rebuild the transmissions if you can't find anyone local. RIP did for awhile as well, not any longer though.

Last edited by a moderator:

Great cars.. Just more expensive to work on is pretty much double every part in the motor you have to buy when upgrading/repairing IE cams turbos ect.

When i lived in NC i went to 3sx a couple times. I took a ride in one with twin evo 3 16gs, it was sweet damn near sh*t my pants.

my .02
Jesse

sweet, thanks! sounds like its right up my ally!

as for the trannys i have heard of that problem. my understanding was that originally the company that mits contracted the tranny's with only produced whole transmitions. the deal was if something broke, you needed to buy a whole new one. they weren't designed to be worked on. but in the mid-late 90's there were so many lawsuits that they had no choice but to produce individual parts. but i am prepared to work on it. it so happens i work for half the year and have the other half off. so this will be good to keep me busy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I did an engine swap on a 95 over the winter that had seized a rod bearing. It was a nice car, and really not that bad to work on. I am doing a head gasket swap on a sh*t ass ford contour right now, and the 3k vr4 is SIMPLE in comparison. They are sweet cars, I'd own one for sure.

3rdstrikedsm

Quoting Dbossman:
3rdstrike,
The transmissions on them are sealed units, I don't see what and how your servicing them. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Mitsu says they are non servicable because they had a contract with getrag so they won't sell parts for them so you will have to source the parts from getrag,Jacks trans or Tre if he still does them but I have had a few apart in my day and they are just as servicable as dsm transmissions in fact I have 2 spare transmissions/t-cases for parts sinced I plan to own another one again.

They are not hard to work on at all.

donniekak

Quoting Dbossman:
3rdstrike,

Would you like pictures of the 2 disassembled units i have right now?

The non servicable rumor came about because of the deal mitsu had with getrag. Thetrans was non servicable to a mitsu tech, if there was a problem the unit was replaced. Parts were not made available at the time the cars were being sold. They actually come apart easily. Here is a link to the service manual for the w5mg1, and w6mg1 if you don't believe me. click

very nice! a bit of mixed responses between easy to work on, and a bitch to work on, but i guess i will find out soon enough though eh?

so what are some good things to start with on it? i am a mountain kinda guy, so i will be going up canyons and high altitude. my brother said the brakes get shaky above 120, but i am not planning on top speeds much. Id prefer the power be more geared towards low-end acceleration. i understand a lot about cars, but i am still learning!

also i have been curious, anyone know how uh... safe it is? and would 4 point seats and etc be worth the money? i am not planning on 150 mph wrecks, but ice on the mountain is a very real concern :p

thanks a mil!

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned