The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

2g rear strut mounts/first post/first gvr4

jb4

I have read in a few threads of people using 2g rear strut mounts(pillow ball) to level the rear when using aftermarket 1g springs. My question is what is the exact procedure when utilizing these mounts ? I have both ,stock and 2g, rear mounts in front of me and I just can't seem to grasp the difference. To me it actually looks like the 2g ones might be a little shorter. The bushing are exactly the same so I just slapped the stock ones back on, and sure enough the rear is too low. I'll probably swap them out just to see, but I figured someone with personal experience might chime in before I pull them back out tomorrow.

Aftermarket 1g springs are a no-no for the gvr4 unless you like the slammed look. I don't think there's anything you can do to compensate for the soft aftermarket 1g springs to make them work properly on the gvr4. I do have a set of 1g awd stock springs in my garage. You'll need to trim the front springs to get the car to level out.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
The 2g Eclipse mounts (or 3g rear for that matter) do raise the car about 1". It is not the height of them, it is the relationship between the mounting surface and the spring seat that changes.

Garfield is correct regarding the aftermarket (presume you mean "lowering") springs. They will be quite short on the rear of a GVR4.

jb4

Thanks for the responses. I was searching for stock springs at first but came across the aftermarket lowering springs for cheap , so I figured I'd give 'em a try.
So I'm guessing the way the stock mounts cup over the spring, where as the 2g ones are flat, is what makes the difference. I'll go ahead as planned tonight and swap those rear mounts and see where that leaves it sitting. I think that extra inch might be all I need. Then the only question will be ride quality....

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Sounds like you see it now.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned