The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

-20an steel bung/fitting where can I get one ?

Hey guys, I just was looking further into this because it is the route I'm going since the Samco's didn't fit, and about the -20 size vs -16, since it was mentioned, isn't -16 equivalent to 1 5/8".

It looks like our thermostat and water pipe outlets are 1 3/8". So why jump to a -20? Wouldn't -16 work just fine? I'm thinking about space in that area, I've got an intake pipe coming off a large compressor housing with a scattershield just below. Trying to make sure everything fits without touching.

jepherz

Staff member
-AN sizing is read in 1/16s of an inch. -AN 6 would be 6/16, or 3/8" internal diameter. Thus, 16 -AN is 1" and 20 would be 1 1/4".

I got my male -20 bungs and they are welded into place (thanks Kent!) so now I am up to picking fittings and hose.

I really want to go push lock because they are so easy to "assemble" but every picture on the intrawebz I've seen people have used SS braided hose.

I just spoke to a guy at a local speed shop and he said you don't want to use -20 for radiator because it is so stiff that it will rip the hose out of the fitting or the fitting from the weld, or something.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

So what do you guys think? Push lock or SS braided hose?

Edit, just found in the xrp catalog that they do not offer a push lock (or "barbed") fitting in AN20. Just FYI.

Last edited by a moderator:

onesickcrx

I used all Pro-lite hose /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

TylerAdamson

I've always had good luck with the Perform-O-Flex hose from Earls.

I went with the black hose from xrp. Everyone seems to have SS and I wanted something different. Fittings I went with the traditional blue/red.

Onesickcrx, post pics when you get yours all squared away.

boostedinaz

Mike I think the traditional red and blue will clash especially with the black hose. Just my .02

Oh and post up pics of the radiator and thermostat.

Last edited:

Michael, I disagree about the clashing colors. All of my other fittings are blue and red, I want them to match. The only thing that doesn't match is my oil cooler hose which is blue. Lopers was out of stock on black -6 line and I was tired of waiting at the time. Those lines are easy to change though.

Check Wess Hess's car, he has red/blue fittings with black radiator hose. Don't forget that I have that new fpr to install as well and that will get all new xrp barbed fittings too. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Just got my fittings today, they are gigantic. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif Probably could have gone with AN18 or AN16 and been fine.

Tell me these are AN20, this is STM's EVO. Looks smaller than AN20. Is he restricting flow or did I go way overkill? These are non refundable. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

TylerAdamson

The fittings on the STM Evo look like they are -16 which is smaller in diameter than the stock hose and wouldn't go with anything smaller than that. The STM Evo is also a purpose built drag car and doubt its driven on the street much.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned