The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

1991 gvr4 ABS stuff, please add to this...

blacksheep

When I checked with the dealer, the front lines are NLA for non-ABS, so either a junkyard or custom lines would be the way to go.

Else, braided SS lines for the super bling effect
applause.gif

i want the junkyard prop and lines. Someone go pull them so I can buy them off you so I don't have to track them down myself

Lots of people are parting out 1gs. The only trick is getting them to carefully box the two brake lines such that they aren't bent.

And KC, the front brake lines I'm talking about are the hard brake lines. Read what I said above, again...foo.
smile.gif

Mark

V8EATER

I just did this to my car a month ago, and I like everything about it! More room under the hood, and less complicated brake lines. Agreed, it is a bit tricky to get to the proportioning valve, but I feel all is worth it due to pedal feel, and braking response. I reused my old brake lines that went to the front wheels, and modified them to go from the master cylinder to the proportioning valve, I just used a flaring tool and a brake tubing bender to modify the lines. I got the p/v to wheels lines from a talon. oddly enough, they are the same size. I had NO fitment problems with these. My proportioning valve is junkyard fresh, and I got it from a 93 fwd, due to the vfaq chart not showing a big difference between the awd and fwd. I find no problem, and front end dive is much less apparent.
TIP: Spray down all the fittings down with penetrant a couple days in advance. this will save you lots of skinned knuckles and stripped fittings.

Pivvay (and all others):

I can get the proportioning valves for you. PM me for details.

No...and if you pull out the right stuff, you won't have to pull the ABS light bulb either.

Mark

blacksheep

Pivvay and others - Hope this helps !

1) That black thingy attached to the body is hard-wired into the main harness and was not connected to ABS brain in any way. Anyone know what it is ? I wonder if this thing is fuel pump related
confused.gif

2) There is a plug on the harness that seems to terminate into a black connection. I can post a pic...I wonder if this was for amplifier plug for the gvr4's that had them
confused.gif

The take up for the power antenna is shaped kind of like a snail. IT looks very similar to power window motor.

The other rectangular box behind all that mess is a vent of some sort. If you stick your hand up there, you can feel rubber flaper thingy inside.

That weird connector in the harness is a resistor of some sort. It has 1W 820ohm stamped on it. There is also a much smaller similar looking piece wired into the relay below the hood release.

Right now I am trying to remove the wiring for the ABS. I have had the ABS disconected since a bad wheel sensor almost caused me to hit a tree.

I thought a could just disconect everything form both ends and seperate the wires. 3 1/2 hours later, and this has not been the case. It's an absolute mess in there by the time you get up to the fuse box. There is no good way to seperate these wires. I think you must cut the wires at the ABS computer and pull them through one by one. Then cut them at the other end to clean it up.

It's not at all the way I want to do this. Trust me though. I have my dash removed and the fuse box pulled so I can get to everything. The carpet is out and so are the seats. Some of the wires are actually crimped together and tangled up with other wires. There are some blue with silver ring wires up front that do this. There is another set in the rear too. I really think they are crimped together after the entire harness has been installed. Those ABS wires go everywhere.

I guess it doesn't help that I am trying to remove the mouse trap wires at the same time
At least some of the wires are a decent gauge. The could be reused for another project.
I will see if I can snag the camera from work. You gotta see this mess to believe it.

My back hurts, I'm done for now.

Hertz

Staff member
I can't stand the peer pressure -- you guys are making me work on my car.
grin.gif
I've been driving around without ABS (pulled fuse) for half a year (same scenario: almost wrecked because of the ABS)... I might as well pull all that sh*t too. (right after KC tells me the right way to do it.)
wink.gif

Lunar: take care of that back, I've had 6 chiropratic trips recently from a combination of shoveling snow, bending over the car, stress and getting a little too ambitious at the gym.

blacksheep

Ok, I have done the following:

1) I have the ABS ECU removed
2) Two of the sensors removed (trunk and center console).
3) Fuses unplugged from auxillary fusebox on battery terminal. Removed seatbelt fuse as well coz I went JDM.
4) Unplugged the 3 plugs to the ABS unit

No ABS light. I am not gonna pull the wires coz that looks like a bear. I dont think that will that much of weight savings, honestly. I double sided that plug behind that aluminim support. I will pull the pump out once I have the lines and valve. Same for the wheel sensor units when I do suspension or bushings.

Can someone post a picture of the ABS relay near the ECU to pull/disconnect? Apparently, seat belts have one as well and I cannot find that either.

My back is all tore up, from bending in the trunk, under the hood, under the dash - I have been popping pills like Rush Limbaugh!
grin.gif

Thanks!

I wanted to get the pictures tonight, but the battery in the camera at work was dead. Hopefully, I can snag it on Tuesday.

I have come up with a better approach, if anybody is interested. It still won't be easy. There is actually several places where some of the wires are spliced into a main wire. Most seem to connect to the door switches and then to the dome light, courtesy lights and trunk light. Think about it, and you will see how that alone is messy. The ABS and the sensors are wired in a similar matter in some cases. It would be easy to accidently cut the main lead instead of the wire you need. In some cases, they have very similar, or the same, markings. Wire thickness is nearly the identical too. You also have to deal with the wires for the power mirrors and seat belt switches. I don't even have a sun roof, so they may be in the mix somewhere.

It's definately a "while your in there" job. You must remove everything to do it. I am pulling the speaker wires to replace with a thicker gauge too.

Is it worth it? It all depends. Do you have a full day to spare? Have you removed the ABS and the mouse belts? Do you happen to have the trunk panels removed, the carpet pulled, all the seats gone, dash unbolted for access,the fuse and relay panel unbolted from the drivers kick panel. Do you have the desire to upgrade the wiring for your stereo? Are you already scraping up the sound deadening? DO YOU LIVE IN FRESNO?

If you can answer yes to all those, then go for it.

With that said, it has cleaned up the wiring. It looks much better. There are much fewer wires to sort through if you have any electrical problems. My car was striped down pretty good before I started, and I have been slowly working the tar off the floor for some time now. It is not a good weight reduction tactic. The wires from the ABS and belts up the firewall is all of 5lbs at present.

I will update you guys with a better approach when I'm done. In the mean time I will do my best to get some pictures.

Ya, it sucks to get your back out of wack. It's a good excuse for some sleepy dreamy pills though
wink.gif

blacksheep

Lunar - my car is in a similar state to yours except for the dash.

Can you please post pics of the ABS and seat belt relay stuff that needs removed from under the dash, please? I need to just remove these.

I dont wanna deal with hacking up all the wire, I wish I had the kahunas. I would do it your way if I knew more about the wiring and all and had the patience.
jawdrop.gif

Does the auto belts have 3 connectors that go up on the sides of both the pillars? I posted a pic in the tech section...

All my mousebelt hardware is gone.

I am upgrading speaker wire and am running 12 gauge to the door and rear deck from my amplifier but that will be on the floor under the carpet.

Great job! I am adding sound deadening to be honest. My car wont be a race car and a bigger turbo will be enough to compensate for the weight
wink.gif

Hey Blacksheep, think you could make this a sticky. I've done most of this but, might be helpful for others. Not to get off topic but, has anyone tried removing all the alarm stuff. I started removing sensors and stopped till I new if it's safe to do so.

bump...can we still get those pictures of the relay's under the dash?

Also i'm going to have only one fuse in the main battery fusebox after this right (100 amp)? The 60 amp is already gone. Does that 20amp fuse run anything else besides the ABS?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned