The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

1881 gets a new rack

jepherz

Staff member
Quoting cheekychimp:
So, given that this is gear driven, does this make the steering any heavier at low speeds similar to a manual rack or does it remain the same because it is still power assisted?

And if so, if you did this mod to a manual rack would it become "too" responsive?

Given the physics of the change, the wheel takes 1.5x the torque at all speeds compared to what it took before. Should be as simple as that.

jepherz

Staff member
Quoting brunoboy:
would you happen to have a link to the quickener you used? and Yes I am aware of the affects, do you have any install pics? or a write up on how you had to mod to fit. Thanks
-Shane

The quickener is pretty easily found online if you look. There are several companies that rebrand them, but they are all made by one company I believe. I unfortunately didn't take many pics while I was making the column. Be advised, it's no easy task. You have to fab up brackets and come up with a way to tie the quickener into the existing steering column. This requires dealing with a fair amount of raw materials and good welding for durability. Also, be advised that the way I did it (the only way I could see how) removed the crush portion of the steering column.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned