The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

17x9 wheels

turbofonz

Quoting EMX5636:

18x9x30.jpg

What suspension... I never thought I'd say it... but WOW that looks good.

fuel

just need some narrower and lower profile tyres and they will fit like magic.

EMX5636

Yeah, these were 245-40-18's. I think if I stick with the 18's instead of 17's, I'll run 225-40 or even 225-35 (stock 195-60-15 height). It's on K-Sport Coilovers, with about 2* of camber front and rear. I'll be pulling the fenders a bit, but it'll be tasteful.

H05TYL

Yeah I'll be switching to 225/35/18's as soon as I've got some coin.

I had to hammer the hell out of the piece of metal under the dogleg's, and cut a piece out under the top corner of the rear bumper where it meets the arch to clear 235/40/18's, I'd like to go a wee bit lower but at the moment I'm limited by clearance between the ruca and the chassis and the steering tie rod and the subframe.

EMX5636

I was hoping/wondering when you'd post in here... You are the inspiration for my test fit!

Quoting turbofonz:
Quoting EMX5636:

18x9x30.jpg

What suspension... I never thought I'd say it... but WOW that looks good.

All I can say is god damn that looks wicked, so looks like 9"wide +30 wheel is the hot ticket exactly the kind of look I imagined, those wheels are sexy.
Leave the 245-40's you dont want that stretched tire look with 225's minimum I would do are 235's but please leave the 245's if they dont rub they look
real nice and why run a 9" wide wheel if you are going to run relatively speaking skinny tires. What brand wheels are those and are they 4/5 lug
looks like a 4 lug wheel but I am not sure.
D

Last edited by a moderator:

EMX5636

The wheels are Rota G-Force. You can get them in a ton of sizes and offsets. These are 5 lug. I might consider a 35mm offset, with a 5mm spacer in the rear (like I had with my MR BBS wheels to even the track width out). They are a bit heavy for their size, but cheap, and for the most part, have been a good quality wheel. If I do stay with a 245, it's definitely going to be a 35 series. It's about an inch higher off the ground with these tires.

Last edited:

Wth why did they have to be rota's.. I would stick with the +30 offset
it just gives the car that muscular look without looking stupid that I like.
This picture shows it off, just look at that rear fender especially, nice full
and flush(not hellaflush lol) I like..Can you take a side shot of the car with
the camera perpendicular to the car I would like a nice sideway shot straight on
and one from the back showing both rear wheels....

Last edited by a moderator:

EMX5636

They don't have to be Rota's. They are copies of Advan RS wheels. 17x9 29 offset are on sale right now for $513 each. 18x9 29 offset are $618 each. It's up to you.

I can try to get a shot, I'll have to see if my buddy is around to pull 2 off again. I have the choice to buy these wheels, or a TIG welder, so I think I'll get the welder and get wheels in a couple months.

Olson

A little late but i looked into what would be the proper offset for a 9 inch wide rim and it would be +29 is the best for steering angles caster camber bla bla bla. but +30 is close enough do it and put some 275's on that sucker and call it a day.

H05TYL

275's on an 18x9 +30 will rub like hell - 235/40/18's just touch the inner fender well on full lock.

No idea why you'd want to run such wide tires anyway, 235 or 245 semi's are more than enough unless you're making silly power (500+ whp).

Olson

my bad its a +27 offset is the best you could get and should be what should strive to get. so a 17/9 +27 offset with a 255 tire

fuel

wider tyres doesn't necessarily mean better grip also - in the wet it can be the complete opposite with being more prone to aqua-planing. The tyre may have a wider contact patch but as the width of the contact patch increases the length of it decreases.

Olson

And thats why you get the proper tire fire wet racing

EMX5636

Quoting Olson:
my bad its a +27 offset is the best you could get and should be what should strive to get. so a 17/9 +27 offset with a 255 tire

That number is the mathematical answer for the suspension geometry. The problem with that is, I wouldn't go any lower offset than 30 due to body constraints. You'd have to run even more camber to get a 255 inside the fender, which throws the whole calculation off anyway. 27mm would be perfect if you could cut out the fenders, and do over fenders or flares. Stock (even +.5" to .75" pulled fenders like mine) body won't allow that without rubbing. That's why the talk of going with 235 or 225 tires. Either that, or stray even further from the "magical offset" number and do 35-40mm.

The one lap guys actually ran cobra mustang wheels that are 17x9+24
with 255 wide tires and 2 degrees of camber with no rubbing or body
modifications iirc maybe one of them can chime in...

H05TYL

It wasn't exactly low though...

The main problem area for rubbing is in the rear where the line/crease at the top of the bumper/plastic panels is. I also get a little bit up inside the wheel well where the inner and outer skins meet. But my car is about 2" lower than that white one (and still too high).

EMX5636

HO5TYL is right, the One Lap car is almost at stock ride height. If you want to keep that level, you have a lot more wheel-tire options because they don't have to go inside the fender as the suspension compresses.

My white car is actually a good inch or more lower than that, The tires were holding the car up because I didn't roll/pull the fenders at all. I was tucking a good bit of tire on the talon wheels and the Evo BBS wheels.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned