The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

#139 - 2010 Reset Button #2

NateCrisman

I just got #139 back together after a few week "minor setback" that included snapping a 14b turbo shaft and finding the engine had a bad rod bearing on cyl #1. So the last week I'v been swapping the engine yet again, this is the third engine in the car since I got it last august and I'v put less than 2000 miles on it the whole time /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jawdrop.gif

This engine is a 2G piston 8.5:1 CR, with ARP L19 headstuds, stock HG, stock cams, stock 1.6L head, BSE kit. Everything else was transfered over from the last engine. The car is running a small 16G with an E3 7cm turbine housing. Planning to hit the track with it next friday and see what I can do on the 16G with both pumpgas and E85.
933989604_FWhhW-L.jpg

933989835_2dmT2-L.jpg

The car also has a different set of wheels & tires: SSR 17 x 8.5" GT7 with 235/45/17 Falken tires. The +35mm offset is not enough for the front and the tires are hitting the fender. Currently running nearly 0 camber, so I'm not sure how much negative adjustment I'd have to use in order to tuck the tire edge under the fender for bumps. I'm somewhat undecided to keep/sell the wheels and tires.
933990461_GZ8Gt-L.jpg

933990197_pA7wy-L.jpg

Tomorrow:
fix the calibration on the LC1 wideband (it's posting error 4...needs heater calibration or sensor bad, but it was working fine before motor swap and wasn't touched).
Set base ignition timing to 5*, it's set to random guess right now
Play with camber in the front to see if I can get the tire to not touch the fender. The car also pulls a bit to the right, adjustment is likely off side/side since the strut & hub was apart.

Then some toonering with DSMlink to get the pumpgas map up to snuff....I'm loving being able to use Mac now that I switched over to DSMlink, where I was stuck on winblows with DSMap.
933989993_ZCG4R-L.jpg

Few random pics from 7/6 (one week ago)

new longblock on the engine stand
925307378_QU4qu-L.jpg

Old engine on the floor last tuesday.
925307264_uD2w9-L.jpg

925307154_gKwH6-L.jpg

Looks GREAT Nate! I have a MAC also nd never tried DSMlink with it cuz my buddy/tuner hates on MAC big time. Anyway, once I swap this trans, clutch, and fix a few other issues I would love too come up. Later

Anthony

TWEAKD4

Looking forward to new times, I hope this one hold up.

NateCrisman

Quoting gunmetalawd:
Looks GREAT Nate! I have a MAC also nd never tried DSMlink with it cuz my buddy/tuner hates on MAC big time. Anyway, once I swap this trans, clutch, and fix a few other issues I would love too come up. Later

Anthony

It's exactly the same on windows or mac, other than the exit button is on the other side. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif Seriously, It's just nice to use my own laptop instead of having to borrow one that Im not familiar with, plus I don't have to transfer files on/off when I want to check stuff out later. And if the laptop battery is dead 10 min before I leave for the track, then I only have myself to blame. hahahaha

Quoting TWEAKD4:
Looking forward to new times, I hope this one hold up.

New times...maybe next friday, if not, the following friday. I think Im going to run it again on street tires and do the same "pumpgas then switch to E85 at the track" to see what the gain from 14b to 16G is on pretty much the same setup. Should be interesting. I'd expect the small 16G to be worth maybe 3-4mph over the 14b, which would put the pumpgas about 12.6@109 and the E85 to around 12.2@113. That's what Im expecting.

Seriously, this engine better last a long time as Im getting pretty sick of swapping motors in this car. The last one was just a fluke I think, with one rod bearing failing but the other main/rods all are fine. That engine was rebuilt at some point before I got it, possible it was failing even before I put it in my car this march /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif Who knows.

Quoting Chim55117:
Good to know that DSMLink is working great for you! Good luck with your new engine, Nate!

Yeah, I'm loving the DSMlink datalogging. That's pretty much why I bought it from you and switched from DSmap. The tuning ability is pretty much the exact same thing, but the DSMlink USB - laptop logging is worlds better than serial cable/Palm logging with MMCD. Those HP/TQ graphs are cool too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

On another note, if you still have the ECU that this DSMlink was originally bought for, your going to need this green Eprom Conversion Daughterboard to make use of it. The DSMlink guys said both the ECU and the daughterboard are useless when seperated. If you still have that ECU, we should re-unite the parts.

Last edited:

NateCrisman

I'll send you the board if you still have the ecu...that will make it useable/sellable. I might even have a stock chip I can send with it, will see.

slugsgomoo

that seems odd. I just put the dsmlink daughterboard and chip in my talon's eprom when I swapped that all out. The eprom chip itself won't work right without the daughterboard but unless they changed something substantial in v3, the daughterboard is not ECU specific.

NateCrisman

Quoting slugsgomoo:
that seems odd. I just put the dsmlink daughterboard and chip in my talon's eprom when I swapped that all out. The eprom chip itself won't work right without the daughterboard but unless they changed something substantial in v3, the daughterboard is not ECU specific.

This board we are talking about isn't the daughterboard that came with V2 DSMlink. this board is an "eprom conversion" board. His ECU was originally non eprom, which he sent in to the DSMlink guys to be converted to eprom style....which ends up being a big square plug on the ECU, the little green board I have , then a normal eprom chip. It makes a sandwich so to speak.

If you were using that non Eprom Ecu, then this "eprom conversion board", then a V2 daughterboard, then the V2 chip.....hahahaha it would be like a Double Quarter Pounder.

the current V3 chip goes directly into the normal ECU eprom socket. V3 doesn't use any daughterboard at all, it's simply a chip, just like TMO/Keydiver.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned