The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

1384/2000

Bad ass cruiser with the occasional road course day.

yubh8tn

For those unindoctrinated, you can read the horrors this car has suffered by my hand here. Since then, I pulled the engine out again yesterday. Oil is full of metal dust and there are significantly large flakes that got picked up by a magnet. Today I will tear it down and inspect bearings and journals for damage. Hoping metal flakes are from the damage caused by the failed rocker and hoping that didnt cause more damage. I'm leaking oil from damn near every spot oil reaches so I will be inspecting everything very carefully, resealing everything, installing a proper catch can setup, and installing an oil pressure sensor. The thought is that with all of those measures I should be leak free or have the information I need to become leak free. As for the heavy metal oil, I hope I don't need to order new bearings (for the third time).
F7E2F206-7031-4864-B1FA-83293C19230C.png
My machinist feels bad for me so he said he'd rehone my block and install my new cams/rocker/retainer/lash adjuster for me for free. After I pull everything apart tomorrow I will be taking it by there and seeing about getting the head thoroughly inspected as I suspect there is some unknown damage there that was causing my oil burning issues.

Unfortunately he is the guy who put my head together last time. I can't really put the blame on him for that rocker failing or for my oil burning issues, but it is a possibility both were caused by his mistakes. He did my machine work and replaced my valves both times they contacted the pistons. Even when the car ran its best it was 20psi lower in one cylinder than the rest. There are two common denominators on this failure of a build - me... and him. Whose fault all of this bullshit is? That's yet to be seen. (its probably me)

Last edited:

yubh8tn

Today I got the engine torn down. I was very wrong with my post yesterday. 5AA791C2-C3EB-4A71-8DA0-34EEE9959CD4.jpeg
BA75D5C8-468D-49BF-9B78-D7DE3E4141BD.jpeg0322860B-2281-4693-B6CE-28625599085A.jpeg
This bearing tried spinning ^
522B2F50-E7BF-426B-BEBD-710D1F0780C0.jpeg
71679F3E-8780-4573-B6BB-28F59002AF90.jpeg
the right bearing is impregnated with metal and that groove looks like the grand canyon in real life^
7FBEE714-C2C1-4994-8A8E-0CAD27598481.jpeg
To prevent a fourth catastrophic engine failure I will be letting the professional assemble my shortblock this time :d:. On the bright side, my engine should not blow up (knock on wood) and it will be better than ever with my new cams and the switch to speed density. I'm very happy I haven't sent a rod through the block as this is the second rod bearing that I've had try to spin on me.

for the record, all bearings were installed with the the little lips that stick out going into the respective groove on the rod/cap. If they are incorrectly installed in one of the photos its because i dropped them pulling the block apart and just shoved them back in for the photo. :bolt:

Last edited:

yubh8tn

Been a while but I finally got my engine back from a local-ish shop, Gibson Performance in Spokane, WA. Total of about $4300 with the forged internals. Wiseco 1400HD's and Eagle rods. Hopefully it'll stay together this time.
1107E9DC-CCD2-4C9F-800D-3D77E72EA8D2.jpeg

Hopefully buying some FP2x cams from @mitsuturbo and then I just need to buy a new oil pump and a few seals and I can put it together. Aside from that, I'm swapping from V3 to Link G4x and I need to put my transmission back together. Then she's ready to tune and hopefully last more than a few hundred miles.

I'll be back in town halfway through August and the (re)build can commence.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned