The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

1101 rebuild thread. 4/8/13 FMIC up by A/C condenser.

boostedinaz

Finally after almost a week of other stuff going on I got a solid few days to work on her and made some real progress. The motor is 99% done and thanks to thedsmguy the rest of what I need is on it's way. Hopefully Thursday I will be able to put the motor and tranny back in the car because it needs to be running ASAP. We close on our house and The Boss AKA my wife has made it clear that no projects until our we are living in out house. Fair enough.

Everything that was cleaned got stored in the trunk.

The block was gross so I cleaned and painted that as well.

Timing side all cleaned up.

The exhaust studs were all different sizes and looked like crap so I got some new ones. Luckily I only had to repair one thread so that was a plus. I also got some valve cover bolts to dress it up a bit since they were only a few bucks more.

After that I started putting the motor together with all the cleaned and painted parts.

Kent kcpaz was nice enough to give me all his left over GVR4 race car parts, one of which was this very nice original valve cover. He also had an extra coil pack that I took apart and cleaned up.

Here is the motor almost done.

Last but not least the painted tranny. Not sure if I like the color but oh well.

GSX_TC

that is one clean motor sir

boostedinaz

Thank you very much. It's not the way I really wanted to do it but it works for now with my budget. Down the road it will get torn apart again for a full rebuild and instead of spray paint it will be a lot of powder coating.

GSX_TC

why not just do that stuff now, since you have it out?

GSX_TC

good things come to those who wait =)

boostedinaz

Quoting GSX_TC:

I have a feeling you are not married. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

I shouldn't have even bought the car let alone take on this project right now since we are buying a house and remodeling it. My wife and I decided that I could take money from the house project to get it all done if I could buy the car and get it running for 1500.00 total. Once I get it running I can sell my current beater/DD for 1500.00 and break even.

If not I have to explain to my wife why she can't get her counter tops. You ever tied to fight a woman over counter tops...you'll lose. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

GSX_TC

Lol oh trust me you dont even have to explain man. when i was engaged, i had NO money what so ever for any of my cars. when i was with her, she was all i would think about. now that im single i FINALLY have money to actually do the things ive always wanted to do.

Diego

Quoting boostedinaz:
Quoting GSX_TC:

You ever tried to fight a woman over counter tops...you'll lose. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Truth!

boostedinaz

Even with a few set backs I made a ton of progress late Friday night. I'll start to button up a few things this week and with luck on my side I'll be able to drive it again some time this weekend.

Last edited:

GSX_TC

Lookin good man,i like how clean your water pipe is, and is that valve cover wrinkle red?

boostedinaz

Not it's a just a little dirty.

dewman

Great progress sir. I like that tranny color,what is that dark grey? Also,I haven't seen one of those lil carts your motor's sitting on in about 15 years. My Grandma used to have a ton of them for her flea market vendors.

boostedinaz

The color is kinda growing on me after seeing it in the car during the day light. It's just a darkish grey I found at the local Vatozone. It almost looks like the grey of Navy ships.

Funny you say that about the cart. I was using an old piece of wood with POS caster on it to push stuff around in my garage. My Grandpa tells me he has an old cart he used back in the day. He brought me over that cart.

PS. Yes, I moved the motor and tranny on the cart so they we sitting much more stable.

bmxr152

Hey man nice to see another gvr4 out here in the phoenix area. I thought i was the only one. When you get it running we need to go for a cruise. Im out here for school (uti) lol. I still have not met any DSM or gvr4 guys, BTW the motor pics look clean...

boostedinaz

There are a few of us around. I know of 4 off the top of my head and maybe a few more that are around. You should come to our DSM meet in Chandler on Oct 13th. I will be there in 1101 come hell or high water. I might be able to get Drigss to come as I have a shirt for him as well.

PreskitVR4

Michael, keep bugging me about that meet on the 13th, text me or something. I would like to NOT forget about it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

boostedinaz

^^^^

You got it!

GSX_TC

Quoting boostedinaz:
The color is kinda growing on me after seeing it in the car during the day light. It's just a darkish grey I found at the local Vatozone.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif I thought I was the only one to ever call Autozone that haha that's awesome man!

boostedinaz

After two small mishaps I got this thing running!!!!!

Still have some small thing to button up but it builds good oil pressure, has decent vacuum as is, and idles pretty steady for just firing it up. I feel like I have a huge weight off my shoulders.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned