The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

#11, #5 for 1464

GSX_TC

Why didn't you just get an OEM Mitsubishi ALT from the get go?

gtluke

I'm sure when my first alternator failed in 2001 they were $400
I"m not paying for alternators, I'm getting reman's for free from pep boys.
It's annoying as sh*t. But yeah, I should just buy a new one.

GSX_TC

The OEM ones last much longer and will save you the hassle of changing them out every few years.

fuel

with the WQNK transmission, did you change the front diff to match the 3.545 rear ratio or did you change the rear diff to 3.909 to match the gearbox? If you did neither, I would say that's why it gave up as the front and rear axles would be turning at different speeds.

gtluke

I have the guts of an evo2 rear end in a 4 bolt rear in my car. So yeah, it's a 3.909 rear diff. It's still a vcu, but with the gearing change and the wqnk trans it's pretty much the best mod I've ever done to my car. It makes the car really, REALLY quick. Maybe one day I'll find an evo3 transmission and differential to put in there for a front LSD and mechanical rear, but it's still god damn awesome.

JNR

You running a heat shield? If I buy rebuild, usually stay away from auto zone and instead spend a little more at NAPA at least and the few I've had to buy had never given me problems. Even lucked out on the one I bought for the Chevelle where *everything* was new/replaced in it. I took it apart to polish it so that was a nice surprise.

Are you sure the rest of the electrical system is up to par and your grounds and such good? Seems like you either have the worst luck of anybody I know for this, or something else is going on.

gtluke

Yeah I have an o2 heat shield on there. They are just really bad rebuilds. I also drive my car a lot, and often in terrible weather. This current one has been good for a couple days now, hasn't crapped out at all. It had shut off momentarily 3 times the first week. 2nd week 0 times. Hmf.

gtluke

update
I didn't change out the alternator, I think it's actually the lawnmower battery this time. But while trying to figure out if it's a dead cell in the battery dragging the voltage down 2v and causing the problem this time, my car broke. This is the first time other than an alternator that something actually broke on my galant in seriously 3 years. I mean I do some 10 minute tinkering from time to time but I have to buy parts and work on the car now.
The water pump sh*t, and It's probably my fault. I haven't been running antifreeze in a couple years now because I'm lazy and now the car is kept in a garage. It could be completely unrelated but the bottom weep hole is PISSING water out. Also, water doesn't have the lubricants for seals and stuff right? Oh well. Actually come to think of it, I think that water pump has over 100k on it. I think I went with just a new timing belt last time and figured I'd do the water pump next time. who knows.
Anyway I ordered a bosche water pump. I don't want to spend the money on a mitsu one and deal with getting it. I don't see myself driving this car THAT much longer. It has to come to an end eventually.
Oh and my balance shaft belt was broken. That one is worrying me a bit. The shaft spins fine by hand, feels super smooth. It was just laying in there broken and wound up. Scary, I've seen them fly into the timing belt and cause some bad damage. I bought a new one, I'll keep an eye on it.
I probably should have eliminated the balance shafts like 100 years ago. I really eon't want to take the front case off though, so they are staying for now.

gtluke

Update, must have been the battery the whole time. Put a new one in and it's fine.
Odd, dunno if I recall ever seeing a battery spontaneously and randomly lose voltage like that, and then come right back. There must be a plate or two loose in that battery.
bonus, at 10deg F that it's been all week I think my car now has 9,000hp

gtluke

TPS sensor went bad, but I was still driving it. Was getting hard to start, which I thought was weird for a TPS since it just read zero anyway when trying to start it.
Yesterday after work when I got home I loaded all my biking stuff in the car and tried to leave it it wouldn't start. I had just pulled in from work 1/2 hour before. Just cranking. So I put the new TPS in, still cranking. Has spark, has fuel. After 2 hours I gave up and went for a road bike ride instead. Stopped by Philth's house and borrowed a compression gauge and when I got home did a compression test.
Plugs were soaked
140-90-140-140
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
I let the car sit overnight with the plugs out, and it started up in the morning and I drove to work.

It's time for a new motor I guess.
But I really want to find a whole Evo3 front cut. I want to get the engine complete with turbo and and intake, and more importantly the greatest 1g transmission with LSD front and weird x-case.
But I can't find any online.
I gotta keep looking. Anyone ever see them for sale?

strokin4dr

Are you planning to have custom mounts with an Evo 3 engine?
Not a bolt-in for a 1g. Trans will work though if you swap the final drive either in the trans itself or in the rear diff.

gtluke

you sure evo 3 engine is different? what's different?
I have an evo 1 trans in the car now, I have the right final drive.

gtluke

ah sh*t you're right. for whatever reason I thought the evo had the same block as our car.
Poop.
Maybe I'll put together a 6 bolt bottom end with a 2g head and evo intake then. crap, thought I could buy it the way I wanted.

strokin4dr

Quoting gtluke:
you sure evo 3 engine is different? what's different?
I have an evo 1 trans in the car now, I have the right final drive.

So you already have 3.9 rear in your car? Or did the evo 1 trans have the ring gear swapped?

gtluke

I have the 3.909 rear diff.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned