The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Hylomar non-setting on mls

tektic

My block surface was just resurfaced very smooth but there are still some slight scratches from previous decking. I'd like to use a Nippon mls and think this Hylomar product may be a better choice over the commonly used copper spray.

Last edited:

turbohf

i like to use Hondabond

hondabond-1.jpg

i have been doing it like that for years. something an engine builder had told me (think maybe i seen Larry at Endyn post something?). had several others that say they do the same.

i dont like the copper spray, seen it make a mess in a cooling system, and it pissed me off.

i have also put headgaskets on virgin at others request. and never really had issues that didnt involve a slightly warped head to begin with.

edit: btw, that is a super thin layer. you probably dont want that squeezing out into the oil drain passages.

Last edited:

turbohf

Quoting tektic:
Does Honda bond dry like glue?

no, it dries to a rubber.

turbohf

IMG_20150129_091139_zps9d387314.jpg
IMG_20150129_091204_zps16fc6136.jpg

prove_it

There are two kinds, be sure it's the HT as shown the pics. The other stuff will run like goo at engine temp. I don't even know why they make it.

Also Honda Ultra Flange II is similiar but has better sealing capabilities, if used just right. Comes in a cheese can so it's easier to handle.

Like mentioned, use only a minimal layer on HGs due to squishing out into ports and drains. I personally don't like it and it makes me nervous, but I've heard and seen it done lots of times.

I've used this a lot and it works damn good. Smells like wet cardboard when used. Good example is a buddy of mine blew his HG on his 420A Turbo neon at the track. Coolant was a stream out the gasket. He had a can of this, so we pulled the head at the track, wiped it all down, sprayed this on and put it back together. Damn thing stopped leaking and drove 40 miles back the shop with no leak. (we still fixed it right after that)
101_0504.jpg

GSTwithPSI

Can you really put the word Mopar on a can that also contains the phrase "There's no substitute for quality"? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

tektic

So what do you guys think of the updated pics in the first post?

I just moved the block into my basement and by handling it and a bunch of black crumbs started falling out. Spent the last three hours grinding and sanding flashing out of the block. What a mess. I sprayed with brake cleaner and ran some brushes through it but I think I'm going to have it jet washed again tomorrow.

turbohf

was thinking about the Mopar sealer but forgot what they called it. had people swear by that stuff.

I used the Honda Ultra-flangeII on my oil pan on the Galant. good stuff also.

dandanger

Yeah, Honda bond HT is the sh*t, but unfortunately it's not under production anymore. With good luck you can find old stock somewhere. I was working in a motorcycle shop for over 10 years(Honda..) and this was the only thing we used. Can be used even to surfaces without paper gasket.

Kent makes something similar, called Sili-gasket. We used that when Honda stopped shipping the Bond.

turbohf

really? we have 5 of those on the shelf. computer days Portland warehouse has a bunch. you guys are getting boned.

prove_it

Quoting GSTwithPSI:
Can you really put the word Mopar on a can that also contains the phrase "There's no substitute for quality"? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

That's cause Mopar has someone make the sealant. The stuff is awesome. I haven't used it in a couple years and I think they have a new can design, so not sure if it's the same formula or not.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
He is in Finland, btw.

turbohf

ahh, did not notice that.

G

Staff member
All this hon/ yam bond you are talking about is made by click It's a bad idea to be putting anything on those surfaces in the block pics above. Whoever is teaching that practice needs to be spanked.

dandanger

Quoting iceman69510:
He is in Finland, btw.

Could be also because of that. Some other Honda chemicals and all of the oils were also dropped some years ago, guess something to do with eu-restrictions. Then they started a new oil line locally in eu. But we were told that production had stopped for honda bond /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif.

tektic

Quoting G:
All this hon/ yam bond you are talking about is made by click It's a bad idea to be putting anything on those surfaces in the block pics above. Whoever is teaching that practice needs to be spanked.

I didn't ask about Hondabond. Hondabond is not an option. It is not going on my head gasket. Don't get me wrong it has it's place. It would probably work well on the valve cover gasket, but I digress.

The product I originally asked about is aerosol, designed for head gaskets, and designed not to dry. I guess no one here has any experience with it. It is made in the UK as far as I know. I saw some positive but brief mentions of it on other Mitsubishi boards but mostly over seas.

I did however ask for opinions on the surface finish of my block. The guy who did it says the MLS will seal fine clean and dry but I'd like a second opinion before I bolt down a new gasket dry again.

I have yet to see a comment on the surface finish.

diambo4life

I use Permatex copper spray (readily available from your favorite local auto-parts store) on MLS HGs and have done so for years in cars that see 40psi+ boost levels with excellent results.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned