The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Gear Oil?

Jim550Jc

What kind of gear oil do you guys run weight brand ect. I always used DiaQueen or RedLine in my old DSM, the dealer couldn't tell me anything except that I would run 75W80.
So I thought I'd just see what you guys ran majority wise and just go with that because I'm a follower haha. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Last edited:

ktmrider

Hey Jim, welcome to the site.

Sorry to be the first here to tell you, learn the site search function and bookmark www.vfaq.com. This topic is way beat to death and done ( again ) within the last two weeks. Look for "GM Synchromesh" thread.

Edit, as much as we bitch about the term DSM for our cars your previous TEL experience still applies. Diaqueen GL-4 is not a bad choice. Really just make sure you use GL-4 rated fluid first and foremost.

Last edited:

Jim550Jc

Yeah sorry about that just wanted to get a conciseness I searched around a bit and that's all I found and it didn't really answer my question that well.
But thanks for your help /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

JamesFoster

Diaqueen is good, that's what I have in my trans now. In my other Galant, and my dsm I ran Redline MT-90 in the trans and it worked great. I'd highly recommend the Redline Mt-90 for the trans and Redline Heavyweight Shockproof for the transfercase and rear diff.

Jim550Jc

I'm on Summit now looking at RedLine I was going to put 75W90 in the T-Case and Trans GL-4 just because the manual and All-Data say so. I'm just confused on the rear end All-Data and the Manual say to use SAE 80W-90 to straight 90W for temps above -10 degrees RedLine only comes in 75-90 for ShockProof, another thing I'm a little confused on will I also need to buy the friction modifier for the rearend because I don't think it's premixed in.

turbowop

Shockproof is the best thing to use in the xfer case and rear diff. It's proven to provide excellent protection for the gears. You don't need a friction modifier.

For the trans, you'll get a wide array of opinions. I like Neo RHD.

Last edited:

Boos929

redline mt90 in trans and shockproof in xcase and rear end

GSTwithPSI

Tranny: 1 qt. Redline MT-90, 1 qt. Redline MTL, top off with Redline Heavyweight Shockproof.
Transfer Case: Redline Heavyweight Shockproof
Rear Diff: Redline Heavyweight Shockproof

Or if you want spend a bit more, go with NEO RHD in the tranny and Redline Heavyweight Shockproof in the T-Case and Rear Diff.

click

Last edited:

Jim550Jc

Yeah I ended up going with RedLine MT-90 for the trans and Redline Heavyweight Shockproof for the Transfer Case and Rear end.
When I get her filled up I'll have changed every fluid in the car /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif and it's on to the visual mods wheels, tint and AMG Parts.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned