The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

New owner of 733/2000

kdott96

Hello guys, I would like to introduce myself,
My name is Kevin, and I have been around the forum for a few months now. I'm currently in college and turning 21 next year (woohoo!). I came to the country when I was 5 years old, and when I came here my dad already had (and still has) a 1991 Mitsubishi Galant GSR. I always admired that car but my dad said there was a better version of it called the GVR-4, so through a little searching around I winded up on the forum and began looking for one to buy myself. Eventually I was linked with NB 733/2000 (thank you again citymunky), and this car is amazing. Has a few tasty mods and overall great condition inside and out. However it still needed a few more touches before it could become ready for the road. With the help of other members of the forum and my dad (he is an auto mechanic), I was finally able to get it up and running smoothly (and the check engine light as of today no longer turns on). A few things I wished some advice upon are: wheels, window tinting, and gauges. I'm open to suggestions and recommendation, thanks everyone.

hs9o60.jpg
][/]
*the blue floor mats are from the GSR (hence why they look so old, just didn't want to get this one dirty ;p
2i1fodk.jpg
][/]
29g00p.jpg
][/]
25s1ukx.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

citymunky

Keep the Stock rims if you keep the car 4 Lug. I was planning on painting them black to match the car. Used them as back up set of rims or for the winter.

If you can find a set of Lancer OZ rims, they are super lightweight and they don't look that bad.

If you go 5 Lug, I would suggest finding a set of EVO rims. The key in NYC is to stay with OEM quality rims or forged rims($$$$$$). Any other cheaper rims (cast rims) will crack with the potholes all over NYC. (I know since I'm from the BX).

For tint, keep it legal or close to legal limits. I don't like dealing with the NYPD, just that is just me.

Gauges. You need a Wideband like a LC-1 or AEM if you plan on doing any tuning. Most people also get a boost gauge and oil pressure.

kdott96

Will do, thank you but for the wheels although the oz rally are nice and I do want to keep 4 lug, I'm looking for a size 17 set, any suggestions?

Evolv23

Welcome, I hope you'll be making improvements to the bay and possibly floor mats? Ha. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif

citymunky

5Zigen FN01R-C's would be the best bet without breaking the bank.

kdott96

So this came up today:

I'm going to begin looking into it, but wanted to know if any other members have seen this same code before and how they dealt with it, another problem I'm having right now is when I attempt to start the car cold (like overnight), I have to slightly press on gas a few times to actually get it going

Last edited by a moderator:

MellowVR4

Should be the coolant temp sensor failing on you. Sort of a common problem ...

Last edited:

thomcasey

It can definitely cause a starting problem. With link connected and the key on, look at the coolant temp. Does it say -71-74° degrees or 313°? Either the sensor could be bad or the wiring to it is disconnected or bad (very common). the -71-74° temp reading makes the ECU start dumping fuel to help the car start in Antarctica. This will make it very hard to start.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">Quoting kevintoscano:</font><hr />
Thanks, but that explains the starting problem too? or just the DTC

<hr /></blockquote><font class="post">

kdott96

The sensor was indeed malfunctioning, got a new one installed and everything is good on that end. However I am now facing a fairly strong amount of blueish smoke around startup, smells horrible and strong but goes away in a short while, I suspect something wrong inside the head or perhaps the injectors???

kdott96

Swapped this trim piece from the GSR (Ignore the dusty floor mat /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif)

Testing the new bumper. The intercooler setup needs to be pushed back about an inch in order to get a good fit... this summer is looking busy already.

kdott96

Welcome to NYC - A place where nobody knows how to drive

I'm thankful that the bumper and foglight were not damaged and as far as headlight and corner light go I can swap them out from the GSR.. I'm just unsure on how to approach the fender damage.

T3mp0r

That is definitely a fact. Whenever I make the road trip home on vacation I dread going through NY and MA. And I'm from the northeast and I don't drive like the majority of those mouth-breathers.

before wheels and such i would make sure your 3 capacitors on the ecu have been replaced and relocate that battery to your trunk!

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Classifieds Listings