The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Update on 1280/2000

strokin4dr

I've had this car for almost 2 years now and have never even posted a picture of it. It has been a bit of a back burner project since I picked it up and still is! This car is not new to the board but I'll give you a little bit of backstory.

1280 was first posted up on the board when a guy from Florida purchased it from SC. He had it for a while, did a few questionable mods to it, and sold it to Dave (HHIVR4) who used to frequent the board. Dave drove it for a couple of years before the oil filter decided to back itself off while he was cruising down I-95 in heavy rain. It was too late for the engine before he realized what happened. Car sat for a couple of years in storage while he gathered parts for a new build. He has a new 2.0L built for it, and just about everything else needed to get it back on the road, except for time to put it in the car. He ended up putting the car up for sale and it sat for a couple more years.
Here are the pics from his for sale thread:

It was kind of hard to tell the real condition of 1280 from the pics. The facility where it was being stored was set to be demolished in a couple weeks and Dave had no way to move it and nowhere else to store it, so I took the hour drive from Savannah over to Hilton Head, SC to check it out.

It needed more work that I thought it would. Out of desperation and thinking that he was going to lose the car with the building, he started stripping parts off the car and selling them. The fresh new timing belt was cut to yank the cams, '90 oil filter housing pulled, ecu and exhaust system were long gone, etc. This still didn't deter me though, because I have been hoarding GVR4 parts for years and had pretty much everything and more to put it back together. I came back the following week with a car dolly, pulled the drive shaft, installed the wheels and pulled the car off of the jackstands where it had been sleeping for the last few years.
It took some work to get it loaded up on the dolly. Dave and I couldn't quite do it alone. Luckily my girlfriend (now wife) was with me and with the extra 2 hands pushing we got it rolled in place. Wish I had pics of this! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif
I was in the middle of moving at the time so I brought it over to a friend's place to store it for a couple of months.
I think this was the first pic I took of her.

The body was in really good shape. Better than I expected. Had a dent in the driver's fender, but not a bit of rust anywhere that I could see. I have since dug deeper with cleaning and removing panels and this is by far the cleanest rust free example I have ever seen. Yes, even behind the front fenders! It has never been farther north than SC, has never seen salt. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

1280 was purchased new in Beaufort, SC and spent the first 15ish years of it's life there. It was then in Florida for a year or so before returning to SC where it stayed until I picked her up in June 2012.

I got it running a few months after picking it up.
Parts that I added to get it back in running condition include:
Comp 272 cams
new seals and timing belt
'90 dsm oil filter housing
mhi evo3 16g turbo and supporting accessories
ETS FMIC kit
3" turbo back exhaust (used and not the prettiest thing)
walbro 255lph HP fuel pump
evo9 mas
dsmlink v3
evo9 560cc injectors
Aeromotive AFPR and gauge
Optima red top
Black top CAS
Dodge garage modded 1g bov

It fired right up and ran great.
Specs on the built engine are:
9:1 Wiseco pistons
Scat rods
ACL bearings
Micro polished crank
Balance shaft elimination
ARP head studs
Rebuilt head
3g lifters
MLS head gasket

This is right after I took it for its maiden voyage.... and found some other issues that needed to be addressed such as shifter bushings and a clutch pedal rebuild. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

I will update this thread with all the repairs, mods, repairs, and changes I have already made and try to keep it more current and up to date with future progress. I'll also try to remember to take more pics. Lots of mods and progress has gone undocumented up until now. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bawling.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
I start Pharmacy school in a few weeks so I'm not sure how often it will get updated though. We shall see! Thanks for the space.
-Ryan

89Mirageman

I remember that car, it is very clean. I actually called the guy that had it in Florida and was thinking seriously about going to get it but decided against it since it was so far away from me. Looks like its in good hands though. Can't wait to see more updates on the build.

strokin4dr

I wouldn't have bought this if it was a sunroof car. Took me a while to find a clean, rust free, non-sunroof car. I never was crazy about the white vr4's though but it has really grown on me.
I think I was really hooked when the JDM bumpers went on. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

strokin4dr

Since I had to pull the some of the interior apart to replace the worn out shifter bushing, I decided to completely remove the carpet and give it a good cleaning.

What a mess /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Took it down to the car wash and used the foaming brush! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

While everything was out, I gave the floor a good scrubbing, then got under the dash and pulled the clutch pedal assembly out. It was pretty worn out and had lots of play, but was an easy fix.
With the pedal back in and as good as new, I installed the shifter bushings, solid shifter base mounts, JNZ stock height short throw shifter and some under hood solid cable bushings. Shifts are now very precise. I love it!

The carpet came out looking better than expected so I decided not to give it the RIT dye treatment. But I did throw in some new floor mats. Thanks turboflanagan.

I also added a VR6eater leather shift boot and an Evo 8 leather shift knob to finish off the center console area.
It's looking tidy down there with the minty '89 underdash panel and glovebox I've been holding onto for about 8 years! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Up next, the seat belts get some attention.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Car is looking great Ryan.

I need to get a set of those floormats too. They are a great finishing touch to a nice car.

strokin4dr

Well, it's only been a year or so since the last update. Grad school has a way of consuming most of my time. Still able to sneak in a few hours here and there for the vr4 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

I'll just throw some pics up showing some of the progress over the last year.

Decided to go ahead with the 4 bolt install. The car had the factory 3 bolt with 4ws removed when I got it. It was always a bit damp with gear oil or ps fluid back there so it was nice to get a fresh rear installed and everything cleaned up back there.

Out with the old rear.

Low mile 4 bolt rear with some freshening.

BTW, I noticed a random knocking in the rear occasionally. It didn't always make noise, but I think we found the problem. The "upgraded" mustache bushings crumbled like some of Heisenberg's blue meth when I unbolted the brace. Nothing a set of Boostx bushings couldn't take care of.

While I was back there, I ordered some AFCO parts and made adjustable upper arms. Don't ask me details or parts numbers, it's been too long since I ordered this stuff. All the info needed came from searching this board though!

Had my buddy machine the heim joint bushings to the correct size. They were about double the needed length out of the bag.

Much better! Ready to bolt up.

Stocker vs the adjustable unit.

New parts installed and ready for a drive (and alignment!)

The car feels great with the new parts and cleanliness under the rear is much improved after getting that leaky stock 3 bolt out.
It's a good feeling to drop the vr4 back on the ground, even if it was just a few days on the jackstands /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
More updates coming soon!

CutlassJim

For people that live in rusty areas and don't want heim joints and still want adjust ability AND the factory clearance bend look up the AC Delco rear upper control arms.

click

strokin4dr

I wonder if those are as prone to breaking as the old ingalls kits with the bend in them?

strokin4dr

Up next were a few cosmetic additions and some weight reduction at the nose and tail.
Parts list:
-jdm front and rear bumpers
-92 grill
-mint 93 headlights
-amber corner markers
-keyless fuel door
-jdm power folding mirrors

Before:

After:

Lucky for me, all of the jdm parts were already painted white so I was able to just bolt them straight on. They still need some paint eventually, to look 100%. Works for now though.

After installing the jdm rear, the muffler and tips protruded too much so I ordered supplies to make a 3" turboback setup.
I had an Apexi downpipe laying around from back when I was buying parts for my first Galant.

Decided to use it and order the needed piping, mandrel bends, resonator and muffler.
I went with the Vibrant 3" in/dual 3" out black muffler, and a Vibrant 18" resonator.
I am happy with the way it turned out. I still need to cut and extend it another 1/4" though due to my old turbo being clocked funny because of a missing alignment pin. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

When I bolted the new turbo on, the exhaust had to be pulled towards the front just a bit. It's not much, but my OCD won't let me live with that 1/4" of exhaust tip tuck. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Exhaust sounds nice, but still a bit more of a rumble than I was expecting. It's not a bad thing, except if I come through the neighborhood late at night. I think it would wake me up, so I keep it as quite as possible. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif
It's fine at cruising rpms, but pretty damn loud at WOT. I'm fine with that though.

G

Staff member
Looks good man!

strokin4dr

Thanks G, I'm really enjoying this car. Once I got it up and driving, it took priority over the Cyborg project..... for now /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

prove_it

Love that muff!

Looking real nice.

strokin4dr

Updates since September.

I haven't had much time to work on things but have made a little progress. I'm not the best at documenting everything with pics, but did manage to get a few throughout the process.

I had these bungs that I made welded to one of my spare valve covers.

Wrinkle black finish. These -10 barbed fitting screw right in now. Makes it easy if I ever decide to change the setup.

While I was under the hood I added a few other new parts.
Had a buddy cut and weld up my driver's side mount. While I was at it, I swapped the 1g front brace with the 2 studs sticking up, to a 2g dsm unit, and also swapped to a 2g power steering pump/pulley/belt setup. So much cleaning now in that area and easier to work on things with less clutter over there.

After installing the new valve cover, I upped the boost and started having issues with the valse springs hanging open at ~32ish psi. So, the cover had to come back off to install new higher tension valve springs. Added these cam gears I had laying around while I was in there. Along with new seals and timing covers.

The strut bar is also a new addition. It's been sitting in the parts pile for years.
***Loaded pic twice. Not sure WTF is going on with it posting upside down /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Since I had issues with E85 eating the inside of my stock rail after running it for only 6 months, I added a FIC anodized rail, E85 compatible SS lines and fittings, and a Fuelab filter setup with an E85 safe fiberglass filter cartridge and some FIC 950s.

BNIB GVR4 black timing cover:

The upper timing cover is a Zaklee piece that My buddy was tossing due to broken mounting holes. I've been wanting to paint one of these for a while to add some ricer points to the car so what better time to do it than right after the new "cam gears set to zero" install. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Ricer view:

Looks normal from the top. (If you look closely, I also blocked off the 3 unneeded nipples on the throttlebody with set screws for a cleaner look):

Car runs great with the new valve springs. No more breaking up and sounding like a Subaru for 10-15 secs until the lifters bleed back down after a full boost pull. Nice and smooth now.

I ended up ditching my slim fan in favor the stock unit. I got tired of always having to keep one eye on the temp just in case it decided to fail like the last one did.
It's a bit tight with the FP intake tube in place, but I like the security of having the stock fans in place. I also wired up my fps output to control the fan through ECMlink. Makes me all warm and fuzzy inside knowing the engine is staying under 200*.

Next time I'll update with some interior and exterior refreshing.
Manual seat belts with full interior molding and '89 headliner to match, JNZ short throw shifter, VR6Eater boot, stealthy wideband install, and then some rust prevention and paint refresh for bumpers and supports!

Last edited:

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
All looking good Ryan.

FlyingEagle

Staff member
Quoting strokin4dr:
Thanks G, I'm really enjoying this car. Once I got it up and driving, it took priority over the Cyborg project..... for now /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

Do tell ......

So envious that you found a rust free body and that you have made some awesome progress with everything.

strokin4dr

I was extremely happy to find this car with no rust and no sunroof, you have no idea. My last one, 1908, had lower milage but had surface rust from a couple of years in IL.

I haven't updated the cyborg thread in a while. It is still sitting pretty much like it was in the last pic. The bay is completely stripped down and empty now though. Started prepping it for paint over the Christmas break and ran out of time again. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
backburner

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Classifieds Listings