The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

help doing engine swap in my '92 eagle 2000 GTX ('92 Galant)

Woosky117

Hey everyone. I am new here, but i hope ill catch on soon enough. This is my first project car ever, so i hope you'll be able to help me as much as possible.
Im not even a mechanic by trade (yet), but i have an old family friend helping me, and he's retired mechanic.

I am doing an engine swap in my '92 eagle 2000 GTX ('92 Galant), and I need help with finding the right parts, and i am on a bit of a lean budget.
As you know, its not too easy to find parts for that platform. I am located in Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada.
It would be a huge help if you could even just suggest any Canadian distrubuters.
The engine that I had in the car was the base 2.0L SOHC 4G63 with fw/d, but about a year ago, it blew. (If you're wondering, a connector rod stapped, and my clutch was slipping like crazy before that)

The engine that I want to put in now is the 2.0L DOHC 4G63 (non-turbo) (i cant realy afford with turbo...yet, allthough that would be ideal)
I was wondering if that is possible to do into my car, and if the transmission would be a problem.
I also need a new clutch, and possibly a new flywheel. ( I already have a few in mind)
I need a new rad, and i have not been able to find one anywhere, and i also need new drive shafts, and a new rack and pinion.
Any suggestions you could give me would be a huge help.
Thank You.

ps. if i did decide to get the engine with turbo, do i need a new ecu with that?
and again, would the fw/d transmission be a problem.

pps. i have some pics arround somewhere, i just have to find them.

Last edited:

Struc

Yes, the engine will bolt up to your tranny.

Radiator: It should be the same as the Galant, so search a few auto parts places like Rockauto.com. They can be had for a little over $100.

Clutch and flywheel should be the same as any non-turbo or turbo eclipse 2.0 6-bolt FWD.

VR_IV_MR

off topic sorry but...

smooth sides!!! looks great!!!

cspetros

Quote:
Hey everyone. I am new here, but i hope ill catch on soon enough. This is my first project car ever, so i hope you'll be able to help me as much as possible.
I'm not even a mechanic by trade (yet), but i have an old family friend helping me, and he's retired mechanic.

We all had to start somewhere /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif. Just read all you can on this website. It is the best place for info on these cars. I have learned so much just in the last year from reading this site daily.
Quote:
I am doing an engine swap in my '92 eagle 2000 GTX ('92 Galant), and I need help with finding the right parts, and i am on a bit of a lean budget.
As you know, its not too easy to find parts for that platform.

Use the "Parts Wanted to Buy" section if you're having trouble finding a part.
Quote:
The engine that I want to put in now is the 2.0L DOHC 4G63 (non-turbo)

Good choice. Unless you're dead set on turboing it, just make it into a solid, reliable daily driver (the non-turbo's are great for this).

The red is definitely different. I like it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif. Welcome to the board.

Woosky117

thanks for the info! i realy need to find some good sites that sell quality parts for less.
if you have any good ones (preferably canadian, but doesnt have to be) please list them.
right now im trying to make a shopping list of what i need.
question is, do i shop by car? or by engine? or both? Gah!

as for the condition of the car, my dad bought it new, and it was the last one on the lot.
this car was babied for 15 years (until i got it. see how that turned out? lol)
the red, is actualy a cherry burgandy, and it came like that stock.

altho i have never seen another of this car with the same color.
there are only like 2 or 3 others in my city (it might just be the same one twice) and they all have a sickly grey color to them. not quite silver.

and i have been reading as much as i can! there is so much here!
this is truly galant heaven!

long live the grandaddy of the evo!

Struc

Sorry... Don't know any Canada places, but I shop for parts pretty exclusively at:

MAPerformance - click
Road/Race Engineering - click
Amazon.com

I'm actually often shocked by the stuff you can get at Amazon.

Shop by engine mostly. Pretty much anything you can get for a turbo 6-bolt will fit on the NT.

Last edited:

Woosky117

thanks for the websites! i especialy like the first one.
i already found most of what i need there. =)

tell me what you think of the shopping list so far, and if you have any better/cheaper suggestions.

- Fidanza Aluminum Lightweight Flywheel (DSM FWD 6 Bolt) $189.99
- Fidanza 2.1 Carbon / Kevlar Clutch Kit (DSM) $279.99
- Fidanza Performance CV Shafts (DSM) $429.99 (something a little less expensive would be preferred)
- Mishimoto Aluminum Radiator (DSM) $217.99 (or i could just go with a stock one)
- Mishimoto Universal Radiator Fans (10", 12", 14") $70.99 (the one i have now still works fine)
- Mishimoto Universal Fan Mount Kit $10.99 (would only need this if i got the aftermarket rad)
all of the these items have free shipping

and i am still desperately looking for an inexpensive 4G63 non turbo engine.
i have found a couple so far.

one for $649 (shipping not included)
it has included, Complete Head, Complete Block, Intake Manifold,
Exhaust Manifold, Injectors, Throttle Body,
Power Steering Pump, Sensors, Fuel Rail,
Alternater, Distributor, and an A/C Compressor.

and the second one for $795 (free shipping)
is the
Mitsubishi 4G63
Mitsubishi JDM Cyclone 4G63 Non-Turbo
Engine only
-Block
-Intake Manifold
-Complete Head
-Sensors
-Exhaust Manifold
-Alternator
-Starter
-Distributor
-Headers
-Engine wiring harness
-A/C compressor

cspetros

I guess it depends on your budget, and the amount of time between when you buy the engine, and when you buy the other stuff (more time to pull in more money). For me, something like this would take some time, just because of getting enough cash together to purchase it all.

Maybe you could reuse the good stuff from the existing engine (flywheel if the engine you're buying doesn't come with one, fans, alt, etc). It's easy to get carried away with all of the awesome stuff available (I know from experience). But, for a daily driver, a lot of it isn't that necessary. That's just my opinion, so do what you want, and are able /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif.

14u2nV

For your front axles, I'd just buy them at the local parts store. I think I paid like $45 for the passenger when I replaced it, and it's taken all the abuse I've put on it with the turbo. Since your just going to be N/A, I wouldn't spend $400+ on those, when it would be better spent elsewhere.

Woosky117

thanks for the suggestion.
and youre right about the getting carried away part...ive been on the net all day doing research into all the different parts, and what i can get that is the most affordable for me.

as for the flywheel, im not even sure if mine is good to use anymore.. i may have ruined it by still running the car when i had a severely stripped clutch.
(honstly i couldnt put it into 4th or 5th gear anymore because the car would actualy start slowing down if i did)

im probably gonna end up having to look for all oem parts, since i dont have the cash right now... and that engine is gonna drain me the most.

14u2nV

whatever engine you get may come with a flywheel. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Woosky117

and yeah... the axels were more of a wishlist item than anything else.
if i could find some oem, that would be great.

our 'local parts shops' arent realy that great up here. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif
probably have to go to canadian tire, or something.

Last edited:

Woosky117

well the engines i have there, are realy the only good ones ive found so far,
and neither of them come with the flywheel.

i realy have to see if i can find someting localy, or at least domesticaly.
all these extra charges are gonna kill me! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

1990ggsxnj

If you're going to go all out you might as well buy the turbo engine anyways. Only thing you would have to do is put your non-turbo exhaust, injectors w/fpr, and throttle body on it until you have stock piled your turbo, turbo downpipe, stock gvr4 intercooler w/piping, ecu, and the know-how (found in many places) to convert your wiring to include the resistor pack for the turbo injectors.

The trans should be ok, though it is geared more towards torque than HP so the pulls in each gear won't be as long or as matched to the power output of the turbo engine.

If this all sounds like too much, than perhaps just going with a non-turbo stock build is better.

Hope this helps. This is off of the time of my head and I'm sure there are a couple things missing but at least you get the idea.

BTW, on that first engine there is no a/c compressor attached, which it stated it comes with so I don't know why it would be in it's own separate box /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Last edited:

Woosky117

no, i think ill stick to the non turbo... i cant realy swallow the extra $1000.

and now ive found another non turbo engine for $649 (canadian!!) on a site that my friend had suggested. jdmmontreal.ca
shipping would be $250

thats about a total of $900 CAN!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jawdrop.gif

altho all of this brings me to think...

do i need to buy another ECU?
or can i run a DOHC engine on a SOHC stock tuned ecu?
if i do need to buy another ECU, anyone have any sugestions for one?

cspetros

Hmmm. That's a good question. I know that some SOHC N/T Galants came with 210cc injectors, whereas DOHC N/T Galants had 240cc injectors. This difference would be accounted for in the ECU. The SOHC ECU's had different part numbers than DOHC ECUs, also. Here is a good page that gives ECU part numbers for specific models . If you can get the number off the top of your current ECU, you might be able to find it in the list on that page. Post up the number here. I am curious about this, too. Another member on the board here, keydiver, knows a good bit about all of these ECUs.

Last edited:

Woosky117

yeah ill deffinately have to do that tomorrow. ill be going up to work on my car then, and i should have it up by tomorrow night.

do you think that the part number might be different, as my car was only sold in canada? im sure almost all the internals are the same. but still. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

ill try to get some more pics at the same time.

cspetros

Only one way to find out /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif. I would be willing to bet that the part number is the same as a '92 FWD SOHC Galant's ECU. Feel free to post up any questions. Sounds good man.

Last edited:

Woosky117

cool /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

i was just thinking... i hear that a cold air intake is a decently cheap upgrade.
anything you might recomend? or does it have to be an intercooler? cuz thats actualy most of what i see around here on this site. unless they have both or im just dumb.
(i only in the past year, have started identifying parts by name when i see them.)

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Classifieds Listings