GalantVR4.org The Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Forum
Galant VR-4 Forums » Galant VR-4 » Newbies » Re: help doing engine swap in my '92 eagle 2000 GTX ('92 Gal
Previous thread Next thread

Re: help doing engine swap in my '92 eagle 2000 GTX ('92 Gal

cspetros
Scores a 10

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 787636 posted 05/03/09 02:31 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
You're right, Keydiver. Manual says: SOHC engines have distributors. This is an extra variable in the swap equation. Woosky, if you get an engine, hopefully it'll come with the coil pack (the ones above say distributor, but I think they just referring to the ignition components). I'm not sure if this is a direct "plug and play" sort of thing with regard to the wiring harness. It would be nice to have a DOHC Galant there to compare to your car. This is definitely going to be an interesting project...

Edited by cspetros (05/03/09 02:36 PM)

Posts: 512 | From: Asheville upon NC | Member Since: 07/19/08 | IP: (152.18.67.76) | Report this post to a Moderator

Woosky117
Brake it Down

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 787776 posted 05/03/09 09:36 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
uber thanks for the info guys.
it realy helps me know what i should be looking for right now.
the engine that i said i found in montreal has the following specs..
Engine Code 4G63
Valvetrain 4 Cyl. 16 Valve, DOHC
Displacement . . . . . . . . . . . 1997cc
Complete Motor - Block and Head . .Yes
Transmission . . . . . . . . . . . No Transmission
Engine Control Unit (ECU) . . . . .No
Cam-Angle Sensor . . . . . . . . . No
Distributor . . . . . . . . . . . .Yes
Intake Manifold . . . . . . . . . .Yes
Exhaust Manifold . . . . . . . . . Yes
Alternator . . . . . . . . . . . . Yes
Starter . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Yes
Throttle Body . . . . . . . . . . .Yes
Injectors . . . . . . . . . . . . .Yes
Air Conditioning Pump . . . . . . .No
Power Steering Pump . . . . . . . .No
Intercooler . . . . . . . . . . . .No

unfortunately there are no pics of it.

now, considering out of all of that, what do i need to buy, and what can i use off my old engine? and supposing the wiring harness is different (which it prbly is) where can i get the right one, and how would i go about installing all that?

Long live the Grandaddy of the EVO!

Posts: 192 | From: Lacombe, Alberta | Member Since: 04/28/09 | IP: (99.252.9.12) | Report this post to a Moderator

Woosky117
Brake it Down

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 787787 posted 05/03/09 10:16 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
i also said i would post some pics of the work so far.
so here they are
(these pics were taken with my cell)

(yes, that is my hood...on my roof)

i have my engine pulled out already.
and thats the transmission beside it.
(oh and it turns out the flywheel should still be fine to use)

this is what is left of my clutch pad...
(it was starting to grind the rivets)

it looks so empty now...

and i wasnt kidding when i said my rad had rotted out!

touch it with anything, and it would just crumble to powder.

ive almost got the whole front of the car, in the back of my car.

so thats what it all looks like up to date... just wait until i pull the rack out!
and then i get started on body work too.

its sad how bad a car has to look, before it can look good again.
but its worth it!

Posts: 192 | From: Lacombe, Alberta | Member Since: 04/28/09 | IP: (99.252.9.12) | Report this post to a Moderator

Woosky117
Brake it Down

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 787813 posted 05/03/09 11:20 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
Quoting cspetros:

This model ECU was used from late 1989, to mid 1992 in SOHC Galants/2000GTXs:
MD161840 Base L4-1997cc 2.0L N/A FI V FED SOHC

the new DOHC engine has 1997cc... does that change anything?

oh nvm. you were talking about the injectors.

Edited by Woosky117 (05/03/09 11:24 PM)

mass moment of inertia
467/1000

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 787815 posted 05/03/09 11:22 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
As I recall NA flywheel, clutch, and PP parts are different than Turbo motors also.

Posts: 861 | From: Fremont Ca | Member Since: 03/16/01 | IP: (67.170.252.68) | Report this post to a Moderator

fivestardsm
"Savior of the damned and dis-owned"

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 787823 posted 05/03/09 11:46 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
Ok...

So you decided to do the DOHC swap in place of the SOHC..
If you are going turbo, then you are going to have a little more dificult time, then if you ar egoing non turbo. Not to much of a big deal tho, but if I was you, I would try to source a wireing harness. You ar enot going to beable to run the one you have because, like was stated before, you have a distributer model galant, and you are going to be outting in a coil system in. If you go to car-part.com , you can fill in the blanks and find a DOHC non turbo harness. I looked it up in the Northwest regin, and there is one in Vermont. You can expand your search, because 99% of the vendors on the site will ship. If you search for one in Michigan, there was a VR4 on there a while back. Other than that, look up in the parts for sale section, and you will find several part outs going on. These are going to be usefull if you are going to go to a turbo engine. You will already have the plugs for the boost solenoid (if you run the stock one) and also wires like the knock sensor plug.

As for the trans, if you are putting a turbo motor in the car, your SOHC trans is going to granade after a few hundred miles or so. If you still want to run that trans on the turbo motor tho, I belive I still have a friend that has an ATC clutch for a non turbo. At least it would help it survive a little bit longer.

So before you jump into it with out makeing sure of what you need, search around for the parts to do it.

Good luck.

Burgundy rocks BTW...
This is pretty much just like yours. SOHC with an auto tho and manual windows. Dosent even have the cruise.

Edited by fivestardsm (05/03/09 11:55 PM)

Posts: 1699 | From: Middle, Michigan | Member Since: 09/08/06 | IP: (68.188.223.236) | Report this post to a Moderator

cspetros
Scores a 10

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 787838 posted 05/04/09 12:59 AM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
Wow You're way further along on this than I thought!
Quote:

its sad how bad a car has to look, before it can look good again. But its worth it!

You have to keep that awesome picture of the end result in mind! Yours will polish up just like fivestardsm's rock awesome Galant^^^.

Alright... get your brain ready for programming . According to the manual's circuit diagrams, etc., there are a few things to note about this, and most of them are not pleasant :

Ignition:The connections for the ignition circuit between the SOHC and DOHC are definitely different. No distributor for the DOHC, and the ignition power transistor connector has more wires. This means that the wiring harness is different. If you are brave, you could probably wire this up yourself without the fancy harness connectors. The diagrams are incredibly accurate; they give information down to the individual colored wires, exactly where they come from, and where they go to.

Tachometer:Since your Galant(2000GTX) is a SOHC model, the tachometer only reads to 8000rpm. The DOHC models read up to 9000rpm. They get their signals from slightly different places under the hood.

Cam & Crank Angle Sensor (CAS): The connectors for the 1992 SOHC CAS and the 1992 DOHC CAS are the same, BUT the SOHC CAS gets it's power directly from the ignition switch, while the DOHC CAS gets it's power from the MFI Relay on the same circuit branch as the fuel injectors. This can probably be overlooked; the difference is that the SOHC CAS has power when the key is in the "on" position, even when the engine is not running.

Idle Air Control (IAC): The SOHC uses a single coil motor, while the DOHC uses a dual coil motor. The SOHC harness connector only has 2 wires (from 2 pins) running to it from the ECU. The DOHC connector has 4 wires (from 4 pins). You would have to run 2 extra wires from the DOHC's IAC to the 2 other pins on the ECU to make it work with your harness.

There are other differences, and I'll go through and list them if you decide to do the wiring job yourself. Otherwise, I'm tired, and I'm ending it here

The easy alternative is to buy a DOHC non-turbo harness. If you're the do-it-yourself type and want to wire it up yourself, then more power to you. It could be done, but it's time consuming. You make the choice. Post up your questions, and good luck man!

SOHC Ignition circuit (notice the smaller Ignition transistor, and the tachometer branch)

DOHC Ignition circuit and connectors (bigger Ign. trans., tach signal comes from wire #4, shared with ecu pin 109)

Edited by cspetros (05/04/09 01:26 AM)

Posts: 512 | From: Asheville upon NC | Member Since: 07/19/08 | IP: (72.71.125.191) | Report this post to a Moderator

cspetros
Scores a 10

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 787844 posted 05/04/09 02:02 AM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
Quoting Woosky117:

the new DOHC engine has 1997cc... does that change anything?
oh nvm. you were talking about the injectors.

1997cc just refers to the displacement of the 4g63 engine. The displacement is the same for both the SOHC and DOHC versions, because the blocks are identical. The injectors on the SOHC were 210cc, versus the 240cc DOHC injectors. That means that the SOHC injectors output 30cc less fuel volume for the same "amount of time turned on", as the DOHC injectors. If I explained that wrong, somebody else should be compelled to correct me

Posts: 512 | From: Asheville upon NC | Member Since: 07/19/08 | IP: (72.71.125.191) | Report this post to a Moderator

Woosky117
Brake it Down

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 787874 posted 05/04/09 07:47 AM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
thanks for the heads up about the rest of that stuff.

ill definately be looking to buy a replacement wiring harness.
(sure im a do-it-yourself type guy, but to a point. )

so i guess right now i have to find an ECU, a wiring harness, and cam angle sensors?
tell me if i missed anything. i want this done right the first time, so help is always welcome!

cspetros
Scores a 10

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 787931 posted 05/04/09 11:03 AM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
If you buy an engine, it will include the cam angle sensor. It's part of the head. One less item on the list

So, you just need a non-turbo ECU, and a harness. Post up an ad in the Wanted to Buy section to see if anyone has these items. If you get a turbo wiring harness, the Mass Airflow Sensor connector won't fit your MAS (the turbo models have a couple of extra wires). Other than that, it should be ok.

Edit: I see your post for JSchleim's G-GSX partout. If that works out, the would be awesome.

Edited by cspetros (05/04/09 11:13 AM)

Woosky117
Brake it Down

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 787939 posted 05/04/09 11:29 AM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
thanks for that clarification.
and i took your advice, and just posted a WTB add.

hopefully ill get a good turn out.

and now.....we wait.

Posts: 192 | From: Lacombe, Alberta | Member Since: 04/28/09 | IP: (72.140.36.32) | Report this post to a Moderator

Woosky117
Brake it Down

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 788250 posted 05/05/09 08:24 AM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
ok, so ive got some good results on the WTB add.
ill leave it up for a couple days before i make a final decision.

now, ive been looking for other parts that i NEED to buy, and this is what ive found so far.

Cooling System : Radiator - - - $110.79 + $42.76
SPECTRA PREMIUM Part # CU233 {#233 (Only 8 Remaining)}

Clutch : Clutch Kit - - - $108.79 + $42.02
SACHS Part # KF73501
2WD, DOHC; OD: 8 7/8; Size ID: 7/8; TEETH: 20T
DOHC, 2WD; OD: 8 7/8; Size ID: 7/8; TEETH: 20T

Steering : Rack and Pinion Complete Unit - - - $339.79 + $62.06
ACDELCO Part # 3612188 {#88990698}
GEAR,STRG (REMAN-RACK & PINION-POWER COMPLETE) w/FWD

if you know any place i can get these parts cheaper, or even better, in canada,
please let me know!

Posts: 192 | From: Lacombe, Alberta | Member Since: 04/28/09 | IP: (72.140.36.32) | Report this post to a Moderator

Struc
Not all filled in

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 788266 posted 05/05/09 09:06 AM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
Don't spend that kind of $$$ on a radiator, unless you really want it stock looking. Lots of guys here have installed smaller, but thicker Civic aftermarket radiators for under $75 shipped.

And the steering rack - I gotta think it would be worth it to just get a used one, for that price.

Curt Shambeau
92 GVR4 56/1000 (SOLD)
09 Lancer Ralliart (SOLD)
96 Spyder GS(t) (SOLD) - My 4G64 Spyder Website
1987 Montero SWB (Wideblock 4g64 build in progress)

Posts: 763 | From: Oconomowoc, WI | Member Since: 11/24/08 | IP: (65.30.140.237) | Report this post to a Moderator

Woosky117
Brake it Down

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 788268 posted 05/05/09 09:15 AM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
know anyone that is selling a used one?

i will buy almost any of these parts used if i can.

fivestardsm
"Savior of the damned and dis-owned"

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 788336 posted 05/05/09 12:02 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
Steering : Rack and Pinion Complete Unit - - - $339.79 + $62.06
ACDELCO Part # 3612188 {#88990698}
GEAR,STRG (REMAN-RACK & PINION-POWER COMPLETE) w/FWD

WOW!!

The DSM's are the same rack. I am sure that you can find one nfor $50 or so. What about your local yards?

Also, what is wrong with yours?

VR4 Picture Post

Steve.
. .27/1000 N B
.677/1000 S W
. .#?/2000 S W
.420/2000 B G
1361/2000 N B
1387/2000 N B

Posts: 1699 | From: Middle, Michigan | Member Since: 09/08/06 | IP: (68.188.223.236) | Report this post to a Moderator

Woosky117
Brake it Down

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 788680 posted 05/06/09 06:56 AM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
i can still try a local yard...

and its loose. i can move the steering wheel with my pinky finger an inch both ways without moving the wheels. and becasue its bad, i can even get my wheels aligned.

cspetros
Scores a 10

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 788932 posted 05/06/09 08:46 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
Keep us posted on your project. I for one am interested in this, as I've never done anything with a SOHC Galant, and the information may be useful sometime in the future.

I'll be pulling the old engine (to replace) out of my DOHC G-GS sometime in the next few days. I'll be using this opportunity to jump down into the engine bay and clean up the 18 years worth of nastiness that has accumulated.

Good luck man

Woosky117
Brake it Down

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 789081 posted 05/07/09 07:50 AM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
ill have some pics posted tonight.
t fanaly took everything reusable off of the engine,
which in turn is making my trunk fuller.
my goal today is to get started on removing the steering rack.
ill try to take some pics of that too.

Woosky117
Brake it Down

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 789485 posted 05/08/09 12:16 AM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
alright, so heres the pics i said i would put up.

this is the work ive done for the last couple days (only a few hours each day)

got most of the reusable stuff off the engine.
(got a bit of an oil slick there... oops)

and i do all that work on this little plywood trailer in the rain. lol
it looks so sad now...

and of course that adds even more stuff in my trunk.
a lot of this extra stuff im gonna end up selling, if its already on the new motor i get.

this is the tail light im supposed to have...

and this is the one i was sent from a junk yard...WRONG ONE!
and this happened when the car was still running.
i backed into a wooden trash can holder and busted the light.
it was a small parking space outside a friends condo housing, and i was stuck in snow.
had to rock back and forth, and then finaly when i gripped, i only would of had a split seccond to hit the brake. i didnt make it. it realy didnt help that it was mostly covered in snow, and was just the right hight that i didnt see in the mirror.
if anyone has a right tail light that matches the one above, please let me know.

this is before i got the car jacked up... got a nice little rust hole there...

now i got the car jacked up on both sides with blocks.
that is one rusty rotor! anyone know how to clean that up nice?
its only been sitting a year and a half, thru 2 of our canadian winters...
theres the pin i have to take out for the rack.

progress so far...
- got the car jacked up on blocks with enough room under the car to work well enough.
- got the wheels removed, only to find the rusted rotors.
- knocked the pins for the rack out on both sides.

what next...
- taking all the bolts off the rack, and sliding the rack and pinion out the drivers side wheel well.
- get started on all that rust in the body work.
- try to find second job to pay for parts... parents say i cant take money from current job, because that all goes toward school (darn).

will try to take more pics when i get the rack out, and when i start the body work.

cspetros
Scores a 10

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 789496 posted 05/08/09 12:34 AM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
Looking good, looking good. As far as that rust on the rotor, if it's only on the surface, a good drive around the block would be enough to break it loose. My Galant sat in a garage for over a year, and the rotors had rust on them. After driving it for a few days, the rust fled, and they looked nice and shiny.

There's a guy 8 hours away from you in Massachusetts selling a '92 right-side taillight on ebay for $25: Here's the page (Canada eBay version )
Nice cart btw

Edited by cspetros (05/08/09 12:58 AM)

Woosky117
Brake it Down

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 789500 posted 05/08/09 12:42 AM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
lol thanks. hey if you think that 'cart' is funny, check this out...

i saw this last summer in my city of moncton.
and it was for sale too!

watch out! it might eat you!

Edited by Woosky117 (05/08/09 12:43 AM)

Woosky117
Brake it Down

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 789503 posted 05/08/09 12:46 AM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
btw, the link didnt work. fix please!

cspetros
Scores a 10

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 789505 posted 05/08/09 12:52 AM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
Dude! A Nissan Pulsar NX! A guy was selling one here locally, and my sister almost bought it (not "altered" like the one in the^^ pic, though ). She didn't because the engine was worn out. Here are a couple of pics of it:

Edited by cspetros (05/08/09 01:02 AM)

14u2nV
Resident Pedobear

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 789507 posted 05/08/09 12:59 AM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
Just run a wire wheel around those rotors a couple times, and it'll come right off. I've cleaned up tons of them.

~Kenneth Brian
"Censorship offends me" ~Author Unknown

Posts: 9397 | From: Agency/St. Joe, MO | Member Since: 07/22/04 | IP: (207.192.201.168) | Report this post to a Moderator

cspetros
Scores a 10

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 789508 posted 05/08/09 01:01 AM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post   
Link fixed. In case it still isn't working (it works here for me ) the item number is 370043922462. Just paste that into the eBay search field.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8
Previous thread Next thread

Extra information
0 registered and 25 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Galant VR4.org Moderator:  Hertz, curtis, steve, atc250r, jcgalntvr4-244, cheekychimp, jepherz, Rausch, toybreaker 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Thread views: 23476

Rate this thread

News & Events: News | Events
Galant VR-4: Newbies | General VR4 Discussions | Technical Discussions | How To and Info Archive
Marketplace: Parts For Sale | Cars For Sale | Good Guys | Bad Guys
Community: Members' Showcase

Contact Us | Privacy statement GalantVR-4.org

Generated in 0.227 seconds in which 0.121 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Turbo powered.

Hertz's Galant VR-4 Page