The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

i like it nice and lubed

turbohf

Quoting GEDengineering:
Valvoline VR-1 20w-50 it is cheap and has high additives that help protect all the bearing surfaces in the engine and turbocharger. FP wrote a very good test article about the different types of oils and how ones without additives (most synthetic oils) will destroy journal/thrust bearings in turbochargers. The higher the phosphorus and zinc content in the oil the better, those soft metals are like little cushions and carry load very well.

Regards,
Glenn

click

i also run VR1 Racing 20w50 in Galant. cheap Mobil non-syn from walmart in rest of the rigs /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif

ApexHunter

Quoting GSTwithPSI:
How much does something like this run, David?

You'd be looking at $28 for the standard test. On this one, i opted to have them check the TBN (+$10) to see how much of the additive package was left. It's only really important if you are trying to extend your intervals...you would basically keep extending the interval until the additive package gets close to 0. That wasn't my goal here, i was just curious to see what it looked like. Next one i won't opt for TBN.

For anyone who is interested, you can have them send you some free test kits here.

ApexHunter

Closing the loop here. M1 15w50 gets a pass...for at least one track day and some street driving anyway.

Last UOA had the M1 15w50 looking more like a 0w20 after 3k miles, one track day, and a strenuous dyno tuning session.

I was about ready to write off this oil and begin looking at better alternatives, albeit with a price tag 2.5x times higher. Before doing so, i wanted to do another UOA, this time the only use being driving to the track, at the track, and back home.

I was pleased to see that it held up just fine. Good thing, because i've still got another 10 qts of this stuff on the shelf, and i'm happy to continue paying $5/qt for decent performance and detergent/zinc/phos levels.

26461456813_de64893764_b.jpg

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned